Powered by Outside

2011 Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo setup help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2011 Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo setup help
O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 at 5:03 Quote
LastBoyScout wrote:
Hello, I've got 888 RC3 Evo's on my 7 week old Commencal DH V3. They developed a click/knock during compression which seems to come and go, it's like there is something floating around inside. The Roco R shock coil moves around on the shaft and scrapes the shock body and has caught the frame. Anyone else had these problems? My lbs has sent the forks and shock to windwave for repair/replacement (windwave didn't respond to my email. It's my first DH bike and basically it's ruined by Marzocchi, as soon as I've got the money I'll upgrade to Fox.

There is an update for the 888 evo. You should call Marzo Canada to get it serviced under warranty.

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 at 5:46 Quote
AH, Cheers Rick.
I'm in sunny Wales though, i'll speak to windwave (marzocchi importers in the UK) about the update to make sure they are up to speed.

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 at 8:00 Quote
LastBoyScout wrote:
Hello, I've got 888 RC3 Evo's on my 7 week old Commencal DH V3. They developed a click/knock during compression which seems to come and go, it's like there is something floating around inside. The Roco R shock coil moves around on the shaft and scrapes the shock body and has caught the frame. Anyone else had these problems? My lbs has sent the forks and shock to windwave for repair/replacement (windwave didn't respond to my email. It's my first DH bike and basically it's ruined by Marzocchi, as soon as I've got the money I'll upgrade to Fox.

See above, I've also got the knocking.

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 at 8:47 Quote
fattrick wrote:
LastBoyScout wrote:

There is an update for the 888 evo. You should call Marzo Canada to get it serviced under warranty.

What do you mean by update for the evo?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2012 at 10:05 Quote
Stainer wrote:
fattrick wrote:
LastBoyScout wrote:

What do you mean by update for the evo?

They modified the volume adjustment internally. They also add another thin spacer underneat the C clip on the cartridge side to remove the gap (generating the clunking noise).

Posted: Jun 8, 2012 at 12:41 Quote
Cheers guys

I got the 2012 888 Evo Ti V2 and had similar issues. Oil kept getting in the VA chamber and the fork had a weird, overly progressive feel to it. I then removed the o ring on the VA unit so now the oil can freely move around the whole stanchion (I will remove the whole unit should initial testing prove successful). I then added 100 cc of oil to compensate. Feels much better now, the progressive feel is gone and real testing will be done next week. I will post the results.

I am running a green (hard) Fox spring (rider weight 205 lbs/93 kg) which will fit like a charm once the rubber sleeve in the middle is removed.

BTW: Stock oil in the 888 is 7.5 not 10 and most forks in Europe come with the 5.5 spring.
4.4= soft, 5.5= medium, 6.5= firm, 7.7= extra firm

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 9:31 Quote
Hey guys, I had an issue with excessive bottom out - opened up the fork and there was a LOT of oil above the o-ring damper side. I removed the o-ring and added some oil, it was hydraulic locking so removed oil until it locks just before bottom out. Are there any issue with doing this - like the plastic o-ring seat now rubbing against the inside of the stantion?

I also noticed the damper cartridge is making a lot of air-bubble type noise now...

Cheers, Mark.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 at 11:03 Quote
Jep mark the air squuezing sound us ok. Its the sound of the oul flow. There are a few options.
1. Replace the o ring and its brand new
2. Take out the valve adjust entirely and fill the stanchion with the cartridge inserted ( already filled up from an cup off oil) up to 10 cm or 4 inches if you like, from the top. Screw the cap on and cycle the fork oil by pressing down on the fork 40 times. Its a bit drastic bur marzo does it exactly like this for the wc crc team.

Dont ride the fork without taking out the valve adjust or replacing the o ring. Wouldnt damage much but its a nice fork so why ruin it!

Oh jeah remove the dustwhipper rings between the oil seals and replace them by super smooth fork grease and it rides like a dream. Plush plush plush

Posted: Jul 7, 2012 at 13:38 Quote
Hey guys I've had my marzocchi Rc3 evo ti's for just over 3 weeks now, the fork feels great. But the stanchions have started turning a dark black colour, I wash them after every ride and any other marzocchis of the same type I have seen look perfect anyone else had this happen?

Posted: Jul 11, 2012 at 9:48 Quote
i got some 888 RC3 Evo on my commencial DH V3. i found that i was bottoming them out fairly easy so i ordered a new spring from marzocchi.

ive got the old spring out ok, but im a bit confused to why it is shorter... about 2 inches. inside the bag appears to be a black plastic (spacer) but it doesnt look very "technical". i am a virgin to changing springs, so would i place the spring in then the spacer ontop, then all the top caps. or do i need something else? HELP PLEASE!

Posted: Aug 24, 2012 at 2:48 Quote
What no one seems to have mentioned in this entire thread is that the compression settings are really confusing!

According to the manual, as you turn the compression adjuster is either increases low speed compression damping and decreases high speed, or vice versa.

I.e. it's NOT a simple fact of winding on more or less compression damping, you have to choose if you want a set up with less high speed and more low speed, or more high speed and less low speed.

I don't fully understand it but there's a graph in the manual with 2 overlapping curves which is supposed the show how it's set up.

Anyone know how to uncomplicate this? Maybe someone who works for Marzocchi or a suspension tuning company???

Posted: Aug 24, 2012 at 5:36 Quote
I have a bit of an update on my Marzocchi forks, i got them serviced by a mechanic at the megavalanche who changed the Shiph system arround, and sorted them right out for me... id defo recormend just biting the bullet and finidng a mechanic to talk to about it, get him to move them cause it looked complicated when i saw him doing it. and will save the agro in the long run.

Posted: Aug 25, 2012 at 14:42 Quote
thats funny, i did the mega as well and got my marzo seviced there as wel and they swopt the internals around as wel!!! works great.. and it was cheap. around 100 euro's. good deal. how did you do on the mega? good time?

Posted: Aug 26, 2012 at 9:40 Quote
downhillmichel wrote:
thats funny, i did the mega as well and got my marzo seviced there as wel and they swopt the internals around as wel!!! works great.. and it was cheap. around 100 euro's. good deal. how did you do on the mega? good time?

yeah i did ok. got 1.27 for my 1st mega on a DH bike i dont think i did to bad, i did 29 mins in qually for the callengers. did u go to royal suspension, he did an amazing job on mine and gave us a bit of discount cause we were on the piss with him the night before.

Posted: Aug 27, 2012 at 8:52 Quote
Jep Royal. Was à good Guy but dient realy noti we any difference. But it needed new bushings so thats ok. Wassend that good but The fork is graet anyway. I did The Qaly in 33 min incl crash. The race was à astonisching 1.45. To bad. I was to slow in The beginning and had to go to Fast in The second half. But it was à hole lot of fun though.

Cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037735
Mobile Version of Website