Powered by Outside

Are FOX 40's good for like free ride trails some dh and drops/ gaps??

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Are FOX 40's good for like free ride trails some dh and drops/ gaps??
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:08 Quote
z-man wrote:
ilikemybike011 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

It does, but lately, there's been a huge push into single crown freeride. Unless you're hucking, you don't need a dual crown.

As in teh slopestyle comps ? I don't think its about what you need, it's what you want. If the dude wants a 40 for freeride, i'm sure it'll work out fine.
oh it will work fine, but there's to many limitations to a fox 40, from what frame you can use to many tricks that cannot be done. if you REALLY want a fox 40 for FR go for it, but a totem or a 66 will suffice.

There are so many limitations to any triple crown fork for freeride. Don't get a 8" fork when a 7" fork will work.
Totem
Travis Single Intrinsic 180

FL
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:10 Quote
sherbet wrote:
No, I don't think a 40 would be very good for DH. If you have the money for a 40, there's tons of better options. It's not the strongest fork by any means.
based on what?

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:10 Quote
m3hl wrote:
sherbet wrote:
No, I don't think a 40 would be very good for DH. If you have the money for a 40, there's tons of better options. It's not the strongest fork by any means.
based on what?
Any fork is good for there intended purpose.

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:19 Quote
t3kman wrote:
m3hl wrote:
sherbet wrote:
based on what?

Based upon knowledge. They're made for DH racing, not hucking. The stantions are large, but thin. Abuse them, they'll break.

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:21 Quote
downhilling at speed probably puts more force on the fork then a drop

what do you think a downhill course is made of? tarmac?

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:23 Quote
stryke wrote:
downhilling at speed probably puts more force on the fork then a drop

what do you think a downhill course is made of? tarmac?

You'd think that, but you'd be wrong. DH courses typically don't have massive drops. I realize there's force put on the fork, but the way the force is put into the fork doesn't damage it. Hucking it puts shearing force on it.

FL
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:23 Quote
sherbet wrote:
t3kman wrote:
m3hl wrote:
based on what?

Based upon knowledge. They're made for DH racing, not hucking. The stantions are large, but thin. Abuse them, they'll break.

downhill racing is the absolute hardest thing on bike. unless you are a hack and dropping to flat, you will not break a 40, or any fork for that matter.

the 40 is an amazing fork and i can only believe if they are breaking they have been mis-used. if all your doing is hucking and jumping then by god get a less expensive less sophisticated fork and save some money.

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:26 Quote
m3hl wrote:
sherbet wrote:
t3kman wrote:

downhill racing is the absolute hardest thing on bike. unless you are a hack and dropping to flat, you will not break a 40, or any fork for that matter.

the 40 is an amazing fork and i can only believe if they are breaking they have been mis-used. if all your doing is hucking and jumping then by god get a less expensive less sophisticated fork and save some money.

They're not made for FR. Freeride would be misusing them. Don't get me wrong, I own a 40, and love it, I just wouldn't huck on it.

Mod
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
This is what happens when you DJ a 40 and mess up. Major pwnage.

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:38 Quote
Thats like trying to say a light xc fork sucks because it snapped hucking drops.... not what it's made for.

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 16:59 Quote
Looking at the state of you rim I'd say I'm not surprised. Most forks would break in a major crash.

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 17:05 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
Looking at the state of you rim I'd say I'm not surprised. Most forks would break in a major crash.
i cracked mine and my wheel was still true, same case for one of my friends

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 17:10 Quote
I'm a careful rider, I break rims instead of forks lol!

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 17:14 Quote
I wouldn't suggest 40s for freeride, they are deffinatly not the strongest forks (some how I can tell while riding them). If you want triples for FR I would get some 888s or avalanche forks.

EDIT: Fine be that way......

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
Simply, this thread has been answered. It seems that people who actually own, of have owned, a 40 are saying no.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021921
Mobile Version of Website