Powered by Outside

What is to Light?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What is to Light?
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 17:29 Quote
g10ry wrote:
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
okay, i'm asking this nicely, can you please post up a rough spec list for our amusement?

i would but honestly that is just going to start a million arguments about things not being the right weight and such
okay, then can you PM it to me so i can see it? i promise i won't post it.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 17:33 Quote
I'd like it, too.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 17:34 Quote
g10ry wrote:
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
okay, i'm asking this nicely, can you please post up a rough spec list for our amusement?

i would but honestly that is just going to start a million arguments about things not being the right weight and such

It may, but I think people just want to understand how you'll get the Demo to that weight. It really takes a lot of consideration, and research for putting a bike togther of 31-34 pounds.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 17:35 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
g10ry wrote:
PedalUpBombDown wrote:

It may, but I think people just want to understand how you'll get the Demo to that weight.
Ti bolt kit ti springs road saddle am cranks carbon durraler and 10,000 dollarsWink

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 17:38 Quote
Takes more than that. I had lists of everything. You have to start counting grams, 10 saved here and there adds up. If you run something simple like a heavier bb, you can lose everything you've gained.

Look at brake rotors. Every company makes an 8 inch but which one works with your caliper. Then who has the lightest. Can you run an Alligator rotor, sure it's lighter but it has less clamping area on it so is it worth it for the Formula rotors on both wheel. You still have to have breaking power. Do you run a smaller disc, or Alligator in the rear and a Formula up front.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
he send me the list and all i'm going to say is that a few of his weights were a bit off but it will still come in around high 34 to mid 35.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 18:18 Quote
Youve made a lot of talk and dont seem to have much willingness to back it up. A spec list is all we want, and if some people want to laugh at your parts, let the,. youll be the one the killer light bike, so if they wanna laugh, let them, they are probably just jealous. But seriously, just a quick glimpse of a spec list would be nice.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 18:19 Quote
hcg1 wrote:
Youve made a lot of talk and dont seem to have much willingness to back it up. A spec list is all we want, and if some people want to laugh at your parts, let the,. youll be the one the killer light bike, so if they wanna laugh, let them, they are probably just jealous. But seriously, just a quick glimpse of a spec list would be nice.
i've seen it, it's not that bad. a few of his weights are a little off but his total build will still come in around 35.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 20:02 Quote
Frame: 2008 Specialized Demo 7
Fork: 2008 Fox 36 Float RC2 with extending spacers/they do exist
Shock: 2008 Fox DHX Air 5.0
Crank: Shimano XTR Cranks
tires: Maxxis High Roller UST KB
Cassete: Shimano Dura-Ace 11-23
Headset: Cane Creek Double Xc Headset
Rims: Stans ZTR Flow 32h
Derailluer: Shimano XTR SHadow carbon cage/added ti rollers/ceramic bearings
Brakes: Hope Mono Mini ti 5inch rear, M4 ti 7inch front
Chain: Wippermann Connex 9x1
Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite DH 711mm
Stem: Thomson DH 50mm
Seatpost: Bontrager Race XXX Lite
Saddle: Bontrager Race XXX Lite Carbon
Hubs: Chris King Disc ISO 32h (Purple)
Spokes: DT Swiss Revolution 17 gauge
Pedals: Kona Wah Wah
Grips: Animal Edwins
Shifter: 2008 Shimano XTR
Tubes: Tubeless
Guide: E13 Light Guide 1
BB: Acros A-BB Ceramic Red Ed.
Chainring: E13 Guidering 36t

Frame: 9.5lbs 4309g
Fork: 4.8lbs 2177g
Shock: 1.1lb 498g
Crank: 712g
tires: 1340g
Cassete: 173g
Headset: 247g
Rims: 940g
Derailluer: 180g
Brakes: 168g
Chain: 303g
Bar: 225g
Stem: 194g
Seatpost: 140g
Seat: 115g
Hubs: 336g 207g
Spokes: 274g
Pedals: 512g
Grips: 102g
Shifter: 112g
Tubes: 160g
Guide: 195g
BB: 124g
Chainring: 38g
Other: 453g

Weight grams: 14234
weight lbs : 31.380

NoobsSmile Thats also with a Other category, just incase I missed somthing srsly guys. Can haf cak3 sauce now pllz tnks.

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 20:13 Quote
g10ry wrote:
Wilson4 wrote:
Have you decided on the final bike? spec? Not out to change your mind on parts, just curious.

Especially after the 27 pound Gemini guy last fall.

lol what happend with the 27 pound gemini guy last fall? and as for final bike. its between demo 8 II, and the v10 mostly. as i can get them for a great price with any parts i want on them, but i can get the demo for about 2000 cheaper

He got a lot of flack, wanted to add me on msn (a billion times), and had a full xc build. Doubt it would have lasted a run.

PART DESCRIPTION WEIGHT

FRAME 2003 Cannondale Gemini.............3000
R.SHOCK Rock Shox Monarch 4.2...............205
FORK Rock Shox Boxxer...................2980
HEADSET FSA Orbit MX.........................97
STEM Syntace F99 75mm.....................91
HANDLEBAR Easton Monkey lite XC 25.4x660......150
BRAKES Avid Juicy Ultimate.................690
SHIFTER Sram Double tap 10 speed............125
WHEELS Custom build.......................1408
TIRES IRC Trailbear 26x2.5...............1410
R.DER Sram Red............................153
CRANK FSA Afterburner hollow..............750
GUIDE E.Thirteen LG1......................195
BASH E.Thirteen Supercharger
PEDALS Xpedo MX-3 Force platform...........408
SEATPOST Pazazz SP-985 27.2x250mm............152
SEAT Selle Italia SLR Teknologika Flow....95
CASSETTE Sram Red 11-26......................160
CHAIN Sram Red 114links...................257

total in grams....................12316
total in pounds...................27.13 ....................................................................................................................y would u put a road componemt group on a bike much less the lightest shit ever made

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 21:41 Quote
[Quote=" and i have actually found the proper DOWNHILL parts to make it that weight without sacraficing strength.[/Quote]

really?.......hhhmmmm.....a freeride frame with a road bike build kit. where are you gonna ride this?

another ridiculous fantasy bike. first rock you hit all those parts would fold around your frame and make a perfect preztel.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 21:58 Quote
futterbuck wrote:
Frame: 2008 Specialized Demo 7
Fork: 2008 Fox 36 Float RC2 with extending spacers/they do exist
Shock: 2008 Fox DHX Air 5.0
Crank: Shimano XTR Cranks
tires: Maxxis High Roller UST KB
Cassete: Shimano Dura-Ace 11-23
Headset: Cane Creek Double Xc Headset
Rims: Stans ZTR Flow 32h
Derailluer: Shimano XTR SHadow carbon cage/added ti rollers/ceramic bearings
Brakes: Hope Mono Mini ti 5inch rear, M4 ti 7inch front
Chain: Wippermann Connex 9x1
Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite DH 711mm
Stem: Thomson DH 50mm
Seatpost: Bontrager Race XXX Lite
Saddle: Bontrager Race XXX Lite Carbon
Hubs: Chris King Disc ISO 32h (Purple)
Spokes: DT Swiss Revolution 17 gauge
Pedals: Kona Wah Wah
Grips: Animal Edwins
Shifter: 2008 Shimano XTR
Tubes: Tubeless
Guide: E13 Light Guide 1
BB: Acros A-BB Ceramic Red Ed.
Chainring: E13 Guidering 36t

Frame: 9.5lbs 4309g
Fork: 4.8lbs 2177g
Shock: 1.1lb 498g
Crank: 712g
tires: 1340g
Cassete: 173g
Headset: 247g
Rims: 940g
Derailluer: 180g
Brakes: 168g
Chain: 303g
Bar: 225g
Stem: 194g
Seatpost: 140g
Seat: 115g
Hubs: 336g 207g
Spokes: 274g
Pedals: 512g
Grips: 102g
Shifter: 112g
Tubes: 160g
Guide: 195g
BB: 124g
Chainring: 38g
Other: 453g

Weight grams: 14234
weight lbs : 31.380

NoobsSmile Thats also with a Other category, just incase I missed somthing srsly guys. Can haf cak3 sauce now pllz tnks.

and there's still room for more weight loss!

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 22:28 Quote
Honestly dude come on, just post the god dam spec list. Who cares if people talk shit about it, you'd be the one with a light as f*ck demo.

As it stands right now I think your just all talk, like so many other kids on here trying to look impressive with your "plans" to have a light bike. You becoming no better then that idiot with the 27lb Gemini idea.

Besides, why do you really think you need such a ridiculously light bike? It won't make you a better rider, it won't make you any cooler, all it will achieve is draining you of all your money(not that you'd have enough money to actually get it that light in the first place) and make you have to replace the lightweight crap way more often then regular parts. Believe me this time last year I was in the exact same place as you, I was desperate to take weight off my bike no matter what the cost and did it actually help my riding? Not really. The whole season was a disaster of broken parts and having to walk my bike down the mountain when something failed on me, and my parts weren't even that risky compared to the spec list that one guy posted. Now for this season I'm being smarter about it and going for a more realistic weight, I'm sure I'll have allot more fun and spend allot less time in the shop.

Here's another thing, if weight was really that important then don't you think that all the pro racers like Steve peat, Sam hill and fabien barrel, who have unlimited access to as many lightweight parts as they want no matter how often they need to be replaced would be doing whatever they can to have the lightest bike possible? Well here's the thing, they don't because it's really not as huge a deal as people think.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 22:34 Quote
Smile

I guess you make sense, but having a light bike can help you become a better rider, it can help you on different tracks, people are always saying its the rider not the bike, but i think it has alot to do with both, where would the rider be without the bike, where would the bike be without the rider? everybody has there own opinion if somebody wants a lite bike who cares its not your bike, and if it makes you angry so what? Maybe you should just not post, he should'nt be afraid of posting cause he'll get flamed, hasnt everybody thought about making a really rediculously lite bike? I know I have, and i would like to build one cause it would be fun, it would be fun to ride aswell, light bikes are really easy to whip around and stuff like that. Anyway bikes are cool, be happy with what you ride

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 1.011591
Mobile Version of Website