Virginia riders....anyone??

PB Forum :: USA - East
Virginia riders....anyone??
O+ FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 18:15 Quote
dkernrva wrote:
Sherando is great for a day trip but the camping is perfect if you are not into the whole primative experience...I've been riding there for years and there are a few options of trail including Kennedy Ridge and Torrey that can be connected to the main run from the top (includes the Slacks and Whiterock Gap...there are some decent maps and info online.

For a real big mountain experience, I suggest spending a few days outside of Harrisonburg in the George Washington National Forest. The folks at SBC http://www.shenandoahbicycle.com/ and the trail advocacy group http://svbcoalition.org/ can point you in the right direction if you haven't ridden up there. My buddy and I get up there 3-5 times a year and spend a couple straight days riding. All trails are good, highlights include; Narrowback North loop, Lynn > Wolf Ridge, Reddish Knob >Timber Ridge >Wolf Ridge, Trimble Mtn, and Braley Pond Loop to name a few! Camping is plentiful (from primative to nice) and shuttling is an option too. However, every run/trail has some saddle work so don't expect all down. Remember, it's important to keep the mountain in mountain biking!

The SBC guys are pretty great, i ride the six packs with them and hopefully will be riding the fattys soon. Braleys is a fun trails, Reddish to timber to wolf is probably my favorite trail so far. The ride up was intense. Its like a 6 mile ride to reddish knob and then another like 2 miles on timber ridge before the pure downhill of wolf ridge. it was totally worth it though.

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2013 at 8:40 Quote
Riding Freedom Park on Saturday, anyone going to be out there?

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 at 10:32 Quote
https://www.facebook.com/events/145132468996993/153945651449008/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity

GMU's hosting a screening of Where the Trail Ends tonight at 7, anybody in the Fairfax area should come check it out!

Posted: May 1, 2013 at 3:34 Quote
Has anyone heard anything new about the bike park opening at Bryce Mountain?

O+ FL
Posted: May 1, 2013 at 4:18 Quote
Tlax88 wrote:
nothing more than what has been posted on facebook haha. im hoping they come out with a price soon. its looking good though, i actually just rode up by bryce, like we took a break and could see the trails so im hoping they keep some natural terrain on the advanced trails.

Posted: May 1, 2013 at 6:38 Quote
Tlax88 wrote:

http://www.bryceresort.com/Summer/Bryce-Mountain-Bike-Park.aspx

Posted: Jul 27, 2013 at 15:01 Quote
I've seen a few edits on youtube for Bryce that seems promising. Only six runs and one lift, but its less than two hours from DC. Anyone checked it out yet?

Also, I think I joined the party a bit late, but I'm in Fairfax (Nova) and I ride a bit of everything. Mostly Fountainhead because it's close and a good workout, but the occasional trips to snowshoe (and whistler) are always the best...

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2013 at 17:15 Quote
Bryce is pretty decent for a day trip, Snowshoe is much better though. Not much challenging technical stuff, mostly just beginner-oriented flow trails. That being said however, it's still a lot of fun for a day trip...and of course it's lift-accessed DH in Virginia tup Love Fountainhead, the berms on the blue trail are super fun.

Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 10:14 Quote
Total package --- worth the trip.

If you golf, they have that too, pool, zip lines, rock climbing wall few other little tourtisty things and the food at the onsite restaurant is very good....

for sure a great place for peeps with a family --

l brought my kids -- they were riding fully rigid bikes and did just fine. two on 24" BMX cruisers (rear brakes only), one on an old skool 15" frame Breezer Lightning.

pics from our first visit our posted to our profile --

IMO --- they made the place pretty safe for all riders... nothing too hard core about it.. you can rock the place all day with huge full squish or fully rigid 26 or 29ers. l didn't bring one but, l bet riding there with a single speed 29er would be a blast. l brought a Tr450 which is no doubt, waaaay over kill for a place like that. One of the team riders brought his brand new Transition Covert which, IMO, that's an ideal ride for a place like Bryce. just the right amount of squish.

Some of the features are way big (as in size not skill level required). Not quite sure why they made some of them so huge. They seemed a bit outta place. There's an elevated skinny which is kinda neat but it's only about a foot off the ground. l suppose they don't want to make it too dangerous for lower skilled riders.

Some of the features are quite "sendy" but you can roll them too if you don't have the skills or the right bike.

We saw a young kid there riding solo on his POS DiscountMart bike, wearing Crocs... seat broke (go figure) but before that, looked like he was having fun on the bunny trail.

We went on a Friday which, l guess, is the slow day... there's was maybe only 20 riders there. We saw a few of them hit the two expert level features down at the base. One dude almost lost it on the first one.... didn't see anyone try to clear the gap on the 2nd "whale tale"..

All in all, for peeps in the northern Virginia area... Bryce is worth the trip. It's very smooth and flowy. depending on your skills, time from top to bottom is about 4, 5 minutes or so (rolling at about 70% effort). My twerps were doing it in about 6 or so, waiting up for each other every so often on the way down.

Trip back up took about 12 minutes on the lift...(with zero people in the line mind you).

l didn't ask --- are you allowed to ride to the top? pay a different fee for just trail access? no lift ticket..
*** l'd be down for that too.

www.bryceresort.com

Motley Crew

www.bryceresort.com

www.bryceresort.com

http www.bryceresort.com Summer Bryce-Mountain-Bike-Park.aspx

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 13:47 Quote
bryce is solid. Its a ton of fun, ive never ridden snowshoe and i only assume its way better but you cant go wrong with bryce for a day trip. brew thru is my favorite, love hitting the jumps and it was pretty good on my fuel ex, i wouldnt mind having an extra inch of travel but it was alright. i definitely recommend it, especially if its your first bike park day

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 14:46 Quote
mtbtacolover wrote:
bryce is solid. Its a ton of fun, ive never ridden snowshoe and i only assume its way better but you cant go wrong with bryce for a day trip. brew thru is my favorite, love hitting the jumps and it was pretty good on my fuel ex, i wouldnt mind having an extra inch of travel but it was alright. i definitely recommend it, especially if its your first bike park day
What day were you there? My brother and I (both riding Kona Coilers) rode with a guy on a Fuel EX

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 14:50 Quote
And @PedalShopLLC, awesome write-up! When I was there those expert wooden features were being built, hoping to get back up there and hit them Big Grin Weather permitting I'm going to be riding Freedom on Wednesday morning if anyone is around that area.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 17:24 Quote
mtbpkdude wrote:
mtbtacolover wrote:
What day were you there? My brother and I (both riding Kona Coilers) rode with a guy on a Fuel EX

this was like 2 or 3 weeks ago at the trek demo. i dont remember seeing any konas that day

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 17:28 Quote
mtbtacolover wrote:
mtbpkdude wrote:
mtbtacolover wrote:

this was like 2 or 3 weeks ago at the trek demo. i dont remember seeing any konas that day
Ah never mind, we weren't there that day. Was the demo completely free (besides lift tickets and stuff) ?

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 17:37 Quote
mtbpkdude wrote:
mtbtacolover wrote:
mtbpkdude wrote:

Ah never mind, we weren't there that day. Was the demo completely free (besides lift tickets and stuff) ?

it was completely free including lift ticket as long as you were registered. it was so busy though so i rode the remedy 29 once and rode my bike the rest of the day. my friend rented a slash so he payed a little but it wasnt too bad. he was sending the jump after the first ladder drop on car bomb? i think. at least sending it as much as you can on it haha, he might come in here sometime, he hasnt been on pb in a while

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.056941
Mobile Version of Website