Powered by Outside

203mm rotors for XC good or a bad thing

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
203mm rotors for XC good or a bad thing
Posted: Sep 17, 2013 at 11:14 Quote
beginners wrote:
But better check ur Fork's max rotor diameter.. too much power can rip it..

we have a descent here that would really use all the bigger rotor benefits.. especially cooling...

The issue I was having is that the, 160mm rotor was causing my wheel to misalign in the fork. once I went to 203mm, problem gone Confused

Posted: Sep 17, 2013 at 12:04 Quote
beginners wrote:
mmm, id have to say this is not true.. unless your some 230+lb dude whos riding some 32mm forks

most of the time its for clearance issues. ive seen plenty of 32mm fox forks with 8" rotors in the front.. no such 'rippage' going on with any of those forks.

Posted: Sep 17, 2013 at 12:05 Quote
dirttrailsociety wrote:
The issue I was having is that the, 160mm rotor was causing my wheel to misalign in the fork. once I went to 203mm, problem gone Confused
good leave it. its a win win for everyone Wink

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 at 4:37 Quote
yep its normally with 32mm and less fork. and speeding down the mountain.

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 at 8:06 Quote
jumpman2334 wrote:
beginners wrote:
mmm, id have to say this is not true.. unless your some 230+lb dude whos riding some 32mm forks

most of the time its for clearance issues. ive seen plenty of 32mm fox forks with 8" rotors in the front.. no such 'rippage' going on with any of those forks.

depends on the warranty that comes with the fork - lower end forks tend to have a limit quite low. wifes old suntour XCM were 160, my sons RST's are 185 and my manitous are 205.

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 at 9:08 Quote
well, my buddy has a 32mm x fusion thats designed for xc and its on his dj.. hes got a 7" front rotor on it and weighs 200+lbs.. his dad, has a 32mm fox fork on his trail bike and has an 8" rotor on the front, he also weighs the same.. bike is about 6-7 years old and has been ridden in some gnar sh!t. no problems ever...

me and my buddy (with the x fusion) also ride street on our forks. im more worried about breaking the forks from riding street, than the brakes messing something up

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 at 11:10 Quote
oww. good to know.. still some forks indicate the max rotor size.. maybe just for liability.. i also have 203mm rotors on 32 mm stanchion.. and another friend of mine.. no problems in two/three years..

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 at 11:21 Quote
beginners wrote:
still some forks indicate the max rotor size.
yep yep! i wouldnt go over the max size recommended on a fork.. but to my knowledge, there is no limit on 32mm fox forks.. not sure about the x fusion though..

i did manage to put a 203 on the rear of my dj frame that has a 185 limit. it fit, just rubbed on the caliper more.. lol

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 at 17:34 Quote
I'm running 203 on my xfuision 32

Posted: Sep 19, 2013 at 17:53 Quote
i also think that 32mm fork rated trail/am is strong enough for these sweet 203 rotors. i also have 180 for the rear. awesome braking....

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 at 4:29 Quote
I just found this thread through a google search. It's funny to look back 10 years and see the discussion about rotor size and too ouch stopping power. Lots of trail bikes are now spacing 200/203 mm rotors rights out of the box. 180mm is also common place on a lot of xc bikes now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.042484
Mobile Version of Website