Powered by Outside

Best bang for your buck R derailleur?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Best bang for your buck R derailleur?
O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 17:21 Quote
Honestly, the SRAM X7 derailluer can put up with so much crap, it's amazing. If it gets bent, bend it back, they can get bent so much and still shift half decently.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 17:23 Quote
dylanvarkonja wrote:
Honestly, the SRAM X7 derailluer can put up with so much crap, it's amazing. If it gets bent, bend it back, they can get bent so much and still shift half decently.

Yeah, but you know once its bent, the metal is at least 50% weaker?

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 18:09 Quote
merkel wrote:
all i can tell you is the XT/XTR combo is bomb diggity, rides like a dream

Lol I'll take you're word for it

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 10:46 Quote
Teejay05 wrote:
Graphxxx wrote:
marquis wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.chinamtb.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/new-shimano-saint-rear-derailleur.jpg
any hub you like now.

Yeah but do you know how much those saint are lol? Like 200$. I was talking about the lower end saint derailleurs.

There's only one saint.... your probably seeing the old version...
no I got mine for £50 or $100 and its the 2009 one

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
kingjump wrote:
Teejay05 wrote:
Graphxxx wrote:

Yeah but do you know how much those saint are lol? Like 200$. I was talking about the lower end saint derailleurs.

There's only one saint.... your probably seeing the old version...
no I got mine for £50 or $100 and its the 2009 one

Ok so saint is useable on any bike from what you're saying right? And it can be cheap depending on where you buy it, but for XC is XTR better? More expensive? More expensive to repair/replace?

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:12 Quote
xtr would be fine for xc.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:15 Quote
marquis wrote:

Cheers

EDIT: can I really compare Saint with XTR or are they completely different styled derailleurs?

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:17 Quote
valtra wrote:
marquis wrote:

Cheers

and with matching mech oh so smooth,just get quality cables while your on like sp-41.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:19 Quote
valtra wrote:
marquis wrote:

Cheers

EDIT: can I really compare Saint with XTR or are they completely different styled derailleurs?

you cant really compare them that much, saint is for DH and freeride, XTR is light XC orientated.....

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:22 Quote
Teejay05 wrote:
valtra wrote:
marquis wrote:

Cheers

you cant really compare them that much, saint is for DH and freeride, XTR is light XC orientated.....

lol people will use hwta they can afford,and what about xo whats its intended purpose as sram doesnt have a dedicated freeride or dh mech.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:27 Quote
marquis wrote:
Teejay05 wrote:
valtra wrote:

Cheers

lol people will use hwta they can afford,and what about xo whats its intended purpose as sram doesnt have a dedicated freeride or dh mech.

yh, just if ur looking for a XC mech, you dont really want a saint...a bit too heavy compared to XTR

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:44 Quote
if your really looking for bang for the the buck, there's only 2 logical choices, both dependant on what shifter you use, but any derailer (except saint) will get f'd if you take a hard hit...so if its about money its deore if your 2:1 and X7 if your 1:1 because they all break and the object you hit doesn't care what you spent....I've had extensive time on every high end sram and shimano derailer since '96 to present and the difference in price never equates to equivalent performance gains, if your cheap get something cheap! any cheap new derailer works 99% as good as the higher end ones....I'l take 6 deores instead of one xtr shadow anyday, and I'd do the same with X7 versus XO, they all break, I'l keep the extra 50 grams for $200 less anyday, but thats just my 2cents, take it for what its worth

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 12:46 Quote
dazem wrote:
if your really looking for bang for the the buck, there's only 2 logical choices, both dependant on what shifter you use, but any derailer (except saint) will get f'd if you take a hard hit...so if its about money its deore if your 2:1 and X7 if your 1:1 because they all break and the object you hit doesn't care what you spent....I've had extensive time on every high end sram and shimano derailer since '96 to present and the difference in price never equates to equivalent performance gains, if your cheap get something cheap! any cheap new derailer works 99% as good as the higher end ones....I'l take 6 deores instead of one xtr shadow anyday, and I'd do the same with X7 versus XO, they all break, I'l keep the extra 50 grams for $200 less anyday, but thats just my 2cents, take it for what its worth

good pointSalute

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 19:41 Quote
Okay, well i'm happy to say that i've bought the XT M772 Shadow couple hours ago! Should recieve it by the end of next week. It's coming from NY and i'm in montreal so not to far away! Shifters are next, but i think i'll get that next season. Unless i'm really in need one one.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 at 16:04 Quote
i'd say Shimano Deore or Alivio.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019559
Mobile Version of Website