Powered by Outside

Does stripping paint take off weight

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Does stripping paint take off weight
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 9:32 Quote
destroynm wrote:
stripped the 3 thick coats of rattle can plus the factory paint and the extra ferrels and chopped my seat tube down,frame weighed 4.5 lbs before that and 3.9 after all that work, its free so it was well worth it in my eyes, i'll post some pics soon, i'm new here and a major weight weenie.

it's free yes but it can void some warranties.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 10:12 Quote
You lose some with the paint then even more once the rust eats away some of the metal!!

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 at 14:54 Quote
aluminum doesn't rust, over time it'll build a natural coat and protect it, very similar to an anodize. but i'm always playing with my bike tryin to fine tune it, it would never sit over night dirty ,i love it to much.

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 18:56 Quote
destroynm wrote:
aluminum doesn't rust, over time it'll build a natural coat and protect it, very similar to an anodize. but i'm always playing with my bike tryin to fine tune it, it would never sit over night dirty ,i love it to much.
clear coat is the soulution it makes it so you cant scratch the alluminum and it wont corode

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 20:55 Quote
i guess none of you our familiar with the term non ferrous. look it up kids. lost a half a pound of paint.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 12:46 Quote
destroynm wrote:
i guess none of you our familiar with the term non ferrous. look it up kids. lost a half a pound of paint.

Aluminum corrodes too, bro.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 15:19 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
destroynm wrote:

Aluminum corrodes too, bro.
very slowly(depends on the alloy and the grade)

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 15:40 Quote
cudnt you just take off you jumper and not wear jocks instead!Big Grin The weight you save just wont be worth it. Go on a diet and lose 10 pounds instead. This whole weight game really just doesnt make sense to me.Confused

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 15:46 Quote
So I've heard yes stripping paint does reduce weight quite alot

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 15:47 Quote
Daire wrote:
cudnt you just take off you jumper and not wear jocks instead!Big Grin The weight you save just wont be worth it. Go on a diet and lose 10 pounds instead. This whole weight game really just doesnt make sense to me.Confused
As said before paint stripping should be for looks only. As for the weight game, i think its rediculous to compromise strenght for weight. My bike is 26.5 lbs but is bomb proof. Basically the more money you have the lighter bike you can get and still have it strong enough. Light is good but strength is better, enough money and you can get both. Just a few of my thoughts.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 15:51 Quote
ya when i see people drilling holes into cranks, pedals, stems and rims i just laugh to myself and hope they upload the vid of everything failing mid run!lol

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 15:55 Quote
Daire wrote:
ya when i see people drilling holes into cranks, pedals, stems and rims i just laugh to myself and hope they upload the vid of everything failing mid run!lol
my policy is never drill holes in anything unless you have the right kind of rims(rims ONLY). As long as you have rims that are at least 35mm wide your ok. I just drilled mine but its only because i love the LOOK, not the rediculously little weight saving. The rims were over kill and i did small holes so it wont make a difference.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 16:10 Quote
well think of how much an empty can of paint weighs and a full one

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 16:15 Quote
jdavidson wrote:

Congrats on being like 6 months too late to the party.

Congrats on being dumb as well.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 16:16 Quote
jdavidson wrote:

That's not really a good comparison. A large portion of paint mass is liquid that evaporates in the drying process so applying 5 lbs of liquid paint does not leave you with 5 additional lbs of dry weight.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 2.554608
Mobile Version of Website