Powered by Outside

Official Irish Downhill Thread

PB Forum :: Europe
Official Irish Downhill Thread
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 2:09 Quote
richardsouthernextreme wrote:
grand but there's the Killarney round this weekend! could do a 2fer though

Hmmm...

Do Rd4 on Monday, then wait the usual week or so for rd 5... No one cares if it's a bit late

Scrapping that, my blog got published. Try again maybe?

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 17:18 Quote
Will try and get permission for the IrishDH article to submit. I might not get a chance tho as I'm due for surgery Thursday morning, the break was more severe than they thought.

Posted: Jul 12, 2009 at 15:36 Quote
Hi everyone, anyone doing any dj (or any riding for that matter) in Kells or Navan area (county Meath)? I'll be staying here for few months and would be cool to find somebody to ride with !

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 4:27 Quote
JDilleen wrote:
Will try and get permission for the IrishDH article to submit. I might not get a chance tho as I'm due for surgery Thursday morning, the break was more severe than they thought.

Give us a shout if you got permission but can't get it up Wink

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 at 6:50 Quote
few photo's of the singletrack on the sheeps head here...

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.westcorkbikefest.com/wp-content/uploads/r2.jpgUnsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.westcorkbikefest.com/wp-content/uploads/r.jpg
photo

we are just trying to finalise the route but the sunday route will be in the region of 55-60km ish starting and finishing in kilcrohane (cuts 10+ miles of road out of it as opposed to starting in Bantry)

the saturday event is going to be in clashnacrona and consist of 4 laps of the hill and timed descents of c4, c2 and the middle ground with a few tweaks and its your combined time counts.

there will also be a prize for the best combines time from saturday and sunday for those that are up for it.

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 1:15 Quote
Looks pretty decent

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 12:15 Quote
just a few notes on the event for the sunday......

We are very close to having the Sheeps Head Raid Mountain Bike Marathon sorted and it looks great. The overall length will be about 52km and 1500 metres of ascent, in one big lap, which is very similar to the figures for the brilliant Carlingford marathon.

So completion times would range from 3 to 6 hours. which is what a mountain bike marathon should be. There is one bit that needs a bit of building on it which we will sort out early next week. There are very short sections of hike a bike but these really are short and in no way disrupt the journey. So we are very close, all we need now is a lot of signs and a good few marshals, nice weather (its always sunny down here) and bobs your uncle, we will have a quality mountain bike experience in West Cork.

The course may not have the pure single track (although large sections are surprisingly very good) of the man made small forest type XC tracks but it more than makes up for that with a true mountain feeling, a raw sense of nature, varied types of riding and unbeatable scenery which means that one is always entertained, interested and motivated to press on and see what lies beyond. I would suggest that riders are prepared for all types of weather and be self sufficient so that they can manage a variety of unforeseen situations. All the usual spares, plenty food and drink (we will have a feed point) a survival blanket, sense of humour and spirit of adventure!

This is also the first one which is always a bit special. And don’t forget the Downhilling Xc race (a little up too!) the day before, the great atmosphere, super food, local camping, family riding, reasonable price and magic of the area and we have the making’s of an excellent weekend’s craic.

See you there (:
Donncha.

ALSO MOST OF THIS COURSE WILL ONLY BE OPEN TO BIKERS ONCE A YEAR, AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME. PLEASE RESPECT THIS AND WE HOPE TO MAKE IT AN ANNUAL EVENT.

as for the saturday event we are looking at 5 or 6 timed stages with the best combined time winning, the old DH track will be used twice in both forms and there is a new all mountain type of track as well as a more xcish track with tech singletrack climbs to make it even for both XC and DH riders.

oh and the entry form will be on the website http://www.westcorkbikefest.comin the morning.

See ye there... Richard.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 3:04 Quote
Rostrevor's up next, tracks running sweet, lovely and fast. Looks like it will be a great race!

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 4:55 Quote
notallowedtoswear wrote:
which track

Last years NPS track. It's just up the fireroad (closer to the main car park) than the Nats track used for Rd 3

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 21, 2009 at 14:59 Quote
http://richardsouthernextreme.pinkbike.com/blog/westcorkbikefest.html

blog entry for the bike fest in west cork next weekend.

Gonna be class

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 6:50 Quote
few dates for the XC heads...

Munster XC series
Rd 1 Lough Guitane, Killarney, Co Kerry 11th October
Rd 2 Clashnacrona, Dunmanway, Co Cork 15th November
Rd 3 Rossacrue woods, Kilgarvan Co Kerry 6th December

Ballhoura Spook, 30km enduro + 10Km Night time trial 31st October. Ballyhoura

just a note we will have a new Expert level DH track running in Clashnacrona as well as a new 10min XC loop with a lot more to come over the winter (handy thing with a recession is we all have a lot of free time for trail buildingBig Grin )

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 at 10:39 Quote
Well, 2009 season is over... Rostrevor, Cahir etc are already on the list for 2010 venues, and Ireland will be hosting the European Champs in DH & XC for 2011 & 2015, and they're is a bike park being built.

Good season, yeah?

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 20:16 Quote
Haven't been that active in terms of the bike since I broke my collarbone.

Finally got the plate taken out of my shoulder about 2 weeks ago, got my stitches out this week so hopefully back on the bike within the next few weeks after physio.

Lack of concentration cost me from June - November, in a sling for most of it, shit happens Razz

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031447
Mobile Version of Website