Powered by Outside

Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread
Posted: Aug 22, 2010 at 17:20 Quote
dokk wrote:
Time Out" has been a contested trail recently as it crosses private land. The landowner has been very co-operative with mountain bikers but has been verbally attacked on his own property by belligerent mountain bikers on several occasions and enough is enough. To compound this issue many trail users are treating the neighborhood as a party spot and leaving litter, doing burnouts and blaring music into the wee hours of the evening.

We are still allowed to cross the new subdivision but long term the trail will no longer be a viable exit to the mountain. The remainder of the trails will be unaffected.

"Time Out" will be rerouted beginning this fall with the support of the City of Abbotsford, Ministry of Tourism Culture and Arts (Trails BC) and the FVMBA.

In the meantime please respect the neighborhood and SLOW DOWN. Treat it as if your Mom lived there or your Grandma. The FVMBA has worked tirelessly for years to concrete Sumas as a legitimate and great place to ride your bike! Douchebaggery will only jeopardize the trails.

Please SLOW DOWN.

sounds more than fair
Pick up your litter.
Keep the tunes at a minimum.

Thanks!

FVMBA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 at 0:56 Quote
Was out there late this morning. Righteous time. Big thanks to the two Dudes in the Silver Sunfire. The info was appreciated.

Took heed on the SLOW DOWN warning and crept up and down the Mountain. Just about got head on'd by an older Guy in a White Jeep Patriot. Which brings me to the question... is all the bad traffic, (speed wise) due to shuttling mountain bikers? Just throwing it out there.

Just to clarify parking. Going by the Gutsploder Sat Map, the only 2 parking locations on the FSR(Bat/Lost Lake road) are outside of the bottom main gate and 50 meters or so, down from the upper gate. Is this correct? The reason for my query is that when I shuttled up today, a lot of people were parking all over hells half acre, including blocking a gate. (None by bikers, from what I could tell.)

It was my first time up there today. It rocked. I just want to make sure I'm clear, so I don't inadvertently step out of line.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 at 9:39 Quote
jONAH96 wrote:
Was out there late this morning. Righteous time. Big thanks to the two Dudes in the Silver Sunfire. The info was appreciated.

Took heed on the SLOW DOWN warning and crept up and down the Mountain. Just about got head on'd by an older Guy in a White Jeep Patriot. Which brings me to the question... is all the bad traffic, (speed wise) due to shuttling mountain bikers? Just throwing it out there.

Just to clarify parking. Going by the Gutsploder Sat Map, the only 2 parking locations on the FSR(Bat/Lost Lake road) are outside of the bottom main gate and 50 meters or so, down from the upper gate. Is this correct? The reason for my query is that when I shuttled up today, a lot of people were parking all over hells half acre, including blocking a gate. (None by bikers, from what I could tell.)

It was my first time up there today. It rocked. I just want to make sure I'm clear, so I don't inadvertently step out of line.

As stated in other forums, Sumas is treated as a retard free for all by the surrounding population. We are just one small cog in that infernal machine, and the FVMBA is the only one that is organized so it makes us an easy target. We are also the user group with the most to lose. People can shoot guns, drive like retards and do burnouts on quads and dirt bikes pretty much anywhere out of the way but we have thousands of hours of trail work and advocacy invested up there.

As for parking, most park at the end of Brown Rd, near the end of Timeout or what's left of it. The rest park near the very large bottom gate if riding the XC trails. As for the top, depending on what trail you are riding there are quite a few different spots people park.

I always park at the gate with "F*ck B*tches Get Money" graffiti on it and Ride Knob Gobbler down.

Glad you had fun!

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 at 15:18 Quote
Thanks, whore. (1st time I've said that without a slap to the face.) Do Workers go through that b*tch gate often? When I was up there it seemed pretty tight to park. (I have a small Tundra Crewmax.)
partswhore wrote:
jONAH96 wrote:

As stated in other forums, Sumas is treated as a retard free for all by the surrounding population. We are just one small cog in that infernal machine, and the FVMBA is the only one that is organized so it makes us an easy target. We are also the user group with the most to lose. People can shoot guns, drive like retards and do burnouts on quads and dirt bikes pretty much anywhere out of the way but we have thousands of hours of trail work and advocacy invested up there.

As for parking, most park at the end of Brown Rd, near the end of Timeout or what's left of it. The rest park near the very large bottom gate if riding the XC trails. As for the top, depending on what trail you are riding there are quite a few different spots people park.

I always park at the gate with "F*ck B*tches Get Money" graffiti on it and Ride Knob Gobbler down.

Glad you had fun!

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 at 16:19 Quote
jONAH96 wrote:
Thanks, whore. (1st time I've said that without a slap to the face.) Do Workers go through that b*tch gate often? When I was up there it seemed pretty tight to park. (I have a small Tundra Crewmax.)

BC Hydro and FVRD do use that gate on a sporadic basis. Not a good idea to park in front of it.

You can park about 100m down the road from that point where there is more room.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 at 19:17 Quote
Sorry whore, didn't mean to mislead. I know the crap storm blocking a gate would bring. Since you've been so forthcoming with the info... how intense are the intermediate trails on Sumas? I've been out of the game since quitting BMX. (20+ yrs ago.) I'm just looking for something flowy and not too aggressive to get my confidence back. Much thanks, Jon.
partswhore wrote:
jONAH96 wrote:

BC Hydro and FVRD do use that gate on a sporadic basis. Not a good idea to park in front of it.

You can park about 100m down the road from that point where there is more room.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 at 21:49 Quote
My favorite lap up there goes like this:

Knob Gobbler -> Noah Fear -> Lower Time Killer.

Those trails aren't very hard but still have some tech bits to keep it interesting. That lap also involves only minor amounts of pedalling. Any style of mountainbike would work reasonably well.

If by "Intermediate" you mean the south trails; they are XC pure and simple. You will pedal your ass off.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 at 21:54 Quote
partswhore wrote:

Those trails aren't very hard but still have some tech bits to keep it interesting. That lap also involves only minor amounts of pedalling. Any style of mountainbike would work reasonably well.

If by "Intermediate" you mean the south trails; they are XC pure and simple. You will pedal your ass off.

I second what Partswhore say's.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 at 22:20 Quote
Thanks Folks, I think I'm finally getting the terminology. Will give said playlist a run tomorrow. If you guys see a Shore One in the trees go ahead and take it. I am most likely down a cliff like that kid on Little Mountain. (Poor Guy, that must have been one heck of a Oh Crap! moment.)
dokk wrote:
partswhore wrote:

I second what Partswhore say's.

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2010 at 9:46 Quote
Hey Folks, I'm trying to make it out to Sumas some time this morning. If you'd care to join in pm me. If you see me out there and want a shuttle up, flag me down I'm in the Blue Tundra Crewmax. Jon.

Posted: Aug 26, 2010 at 20:26 Quote
looking to check out Sumas for the first time anyone want to ride and shuttle this sat or Sunday.

how about you Jonah

thx Carl

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2010 at 21:21 Quote
Carl, it'd have to be Sunday for me at the soonest. Might be hitting Vedder tomorrow morn. I usually give a day to get over the initial hurt (from both lactic acid & my wipeouts, lol.) You looking to XC/AM or DH? I'm still a bit green on all of it, but I don't let that stop me. PM me Sat night and I'll have a better idea. Jon.

Posted: Aug 26, 2010 at 21:57 Quote
yeah Sunday sounds sweet im more DH/FR and there would be another fellow whos just starting out also. We can also take the tundras up vedder i love that mtn but sumas would be a new ride that i got to try out.

ill check back sat night

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 at 11:51 Quote
Sumas lower main gate is closed until the weekend according to the sign. I had to GASP ride up to the top last night.

Road construction near the west lookout appears to be the culprit.

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2010 at 14:45 Quote
Been trying to figure out how to get to the top of the mountain lately but the only trail I can find is emma peel... some directions would be much appreciated... I have looked on the web and well they aren't very helpful.

Thanks! Beer

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.041162
Mobile Version of Website