Powered by Outside

Newmarket (And surrounding area)

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Newmarket (And surrounding area)
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:45 Quote
about 40 for me! if you're on the way ill pick you up. Then I can pick those tires up off youSmile

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:49 Quote
The sign is gone now, along Woodspring there used to be a big sign talking about building the park that is there now, the coming school etc, and advertised like 9km of trail. Exactly what their plans are I have no idea. They have that wiiiiiide paved path that leads throuh the forest edge, I cant see them doing that through the whole thing though, but I can see them making a wide flat boring trail.

I mean, there's PROBABLY no harm in going to talk to the town. Maybe I'll swing by in the next couple weeks and see whats up. My bro used to work in the town office, too bad he's left now.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:50 Quote
^Ahhhh right, now I remember that sign. But yeah, I probably wouldn't talk to the town unless we found some firm evidence that there are imminent plans for them to go into the forest and create the paths. I wouldn't want to tell them about the trails prematurely, and then have them plow them anyways haha.

I ride a hard tail Norco Manik on these trails and it rides everything perfect. There aren't a ton of roots and the trails are all hard packed.

I'm definitely going to start a list of all the positive things this trail does for the community tomorrow at work. Like all the things you mentioned, no funding required, provides a recreation and exercise spot for anyone, we don't litter (and usually I try and pick up garbage that I see when I'm building/working on the trails), bike trails have probably 1/4 the width of a stroller path, keeps faster moving bikes separated from people who are walking etc etc etc

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 18:53 Quote
could be better to be pro-active in this scenario.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 19:16 Quote
yeah I agree with keeping it low profile until we see evidence that there are plans to change it. But I will definitely be there riding any chance I get so I'll probably run into you guys at some point. I ride a Norco Empire 5 btw

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 19:18 Quote
Nice bike. Did you find the section of trail out near Bathurst?

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 19:33 Quote
yeah, almost missed that tiny little parking area but I loved the trail. Always wished there was one like this in Newmarket but never thought there was!

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 19:38 Quote
Id suggest a letter to that guy

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 19:52 Quote
Looks like some boring ass trails..
but I don't see any plans for the area we used, YET.
that really sucks though

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 at 4:57 Quote
If that PDF is correct, all of the trails in the forest would most likely be completely destroyed. In some spots, it actually looks like the new stroller paths will follow the exact layout of the current trails.

I am going to try and contact Chris Emanuel today, in hopes of setting up a meeting. Its probably useless to try and do anything to stop them from creating the wheelchair accessible paths, but I am hoping that he will agree to designate the forest area as a dual use area. For example, have the stroller paths and then let us bikers create new single track trails, if the current trails are destroyed. I am also going to propose the idea to him about creating a group of volunteers that will sort of adopt the forest area. This group will help maintain the trails. I can already see a few positive things from this. It will help with their budget, as the parks department won't have to be out there as much, if the bikes are kept off of the wide walking paths then there are no chances of collisions and whatnot.

Anyways I am off to work now. If anyone thinks that I shouldn't contact him yet, let me know. Feel free to add anything else as well.

Posted: Apr 26, 2010 at 9:14 Quote
Hey Fellerz,

Unfortunatelly this seems to be already written in ink. Once council approves these projects it is hard to disuade them.

Like many of you canadmos and myself have both put in many hours working on this trail system. The best bet is to contact Chris Emanuel and discuss the options of working in conjuction with stroller friendly garbage and trail adoption.

Till next time kids,

hosemonkey143

Posted: Apr 26, 2010 at 10:14 Quote
Better yet
Ask him to try to arrange something where we make a set in stone trail, that is designated for us.

Showing him something like this could work:

http://www.eastgwillimbury.ca/Town_Hall/Departments/Community_Programs___Infrastructure/Facilities___Special_Projects/Anchor_Park_-_Mountain_Bike_Challenge_Course.htm

I forget where i saw that in this forum or not.
But if you get a bunch of people together, even some highschool kids who need service hours you could get an amazing train going.

Posted: Apr 26, 2010 at 11:56 Quote
f*ck it? They're not takin the whole area. work around it. show some perserverience (sp?) and keep buildin.

On that note, I'll be out there today, reasonably close to the bathurst entrance, hopefully cuttin some new trail! Stoked to get'r started!

Trevor

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 at 12:59 Quote
That area should actually be fine, for now. It is all in East Gwillimbury.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024256
Mobile Version of Website