Powered by Outside

The All Mountain Rat Bike Thread [Hardtails only]

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The All Mountain Rat Bike Thread [Hardtails only]
Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
nullzwo wrote:
i'm a liitle bit stoked about this my latest build Smile

you are seeing a 1934 wanderer balloon bike frameset in (most of) its original paint. i found it cheap on ebay, realigned the rear triangle and did some minor repairs and add-ons to it, such as a new seat stay bridge, disc brake mount up front and adding a BSA BB shell.

so this thing now comes with a custom wheelset (shimano coaster brake + shimano dynamo hub on 40 mm rims), OG brooks patina'd saddle, avid bb5 long pull front brake w/ NOS 50ies weinmann short pull brake lever, 800 mm moto handlebar, and b&m iq-x LED front light and schmidt k920 rear light hidden under the saddle w/ internal cable routing. unlike the photo, it now has a dartmoor keipo bmx crankset. proper steampunk klunker Big Grin

for those capable of the sauerkraut tongue (or the use of a proper translation software) there's a huge thread on the german forum, covering every detail of the build.

photo

this is undebatably cool as hell, nice one. also 'minor add-ons' such as fundamentally changing the frame... LOL! anyway like i said, great job.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 17:03 Quote
Red-October wrote:
photo
photo

That and the Saracen are both rad.

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
My ragley bagger 26/27,5
photo
photo

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
dakay wrote:
My ragley bagger 26/27,5
photo
photo

Rad. What's it like to ride?

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 11:55 Quote
streetkvnt-kvlt wrote:
dakay wrote:
My ragley bagger 26/27,5
photo
photo

Rad. What's it like to ride?
I haven't ridden it much yet but it rides better than I expected, feels very good for such an old schoolish freeridehardtail.
But I have to change this rotten brakes before I go full send.

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
This thread made me turn my old trainer rat bike back into a functioning MTB...

Trainer mode:
photo

photo

Frame is some ancient geometry prototype for Gary Fisher- got it when I worked at Trek in 2012. Frame is probably 15 years old.

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 3:39 Quote
dcamp2 wrote:
This thread made me turn my old trainer rat bike back into a functioning MTB...

Trainer mode:
photo

photo

Frame is some ancient geometry prototype for Gary Fisher- got it when I worked at Trek in 2012. Frame is probably 15 years old.

Slap an -2 angleset in that puppy and it will be good to go.

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 7:06 Quote
I'll play. I stripped an old cassette and added a bunch of spacers to make a single speed on my old kludged together parts bike. I added two larger 21t cogs on each side of the 17t to make a guard to prevent chain drops I was having on the rear. But with a few twists of the long high limit screw I can manually shift it to the 21t cog when I am using my bike to haul loads on the rack.

photo

photo

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 3:06 Quote
I thinkt it's safe to say this is a rat bike now.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 6:01 Quote
love it. it's everything you could want in a 3k gravel bike, but with a kick a$$ attitude.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028876
Mobile Version of Website