Powered by Outside

Light-Bicycle Carbon 650b Rims

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Light-Bicycle Carbon 650b Rims
Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 22:36 Quote
Snozz wrote:
rydelean wrote:
More to do with tyre choice and profile of tyre and exposed sidewalls. I was at bpw when I had magic mary front hd rear 2.35 on and some one came up to me and asked if my bike was a new 27.5+ lol they came out at 2.5 and huge volume. Got 2.35 maxxis on now and they do come out at 2.35 bit easier to drag around to, but the walls are a little exposed Might go maxxis 2.4 front. It's trial and error tbh with the 35s you won't get any of these problems at all. I don't not like them their double hard and have taken a beating but 35 is the best of all worlds imo.
I'm trying to understand this better. With my 35mm (external) rims a 2.3 vigi is only a bit wider than the rim. My mate with the same setup caught his rim on a rock and cracked it.how would the wider rim help? Is this only if wider tyres were used?
a wider rim wouldn't help, what I'm saying is the 35s you get more tyre choice as the tyres keep a good shape weather it's a 2.25-2.5 ect with the 38s you have only a few choices of tyre, only some 2.35 are wide anuff as you start exposing sidewalls and getting a squared off profile. Does this make more sense.

Posted: Mar 1, 2016 at 10:01 Quote
British lads - what is the total cost of getting a set laced up and shipped to the UK? Just priced a pair of the enduro (en728s) with Hope Hubs and came in at $829 (c.£600ish). Is there any other cost to factor in and what is the lead time like?

Posted: Mar 1, 2016 at 11:08 Quote
shbell23 wrote:
British lads - what is the total cost of getting a set laced up and shipped to the UK? Just priced a pair of the enduro (en728s) with Hope Hubs and came in at $829 (c.£600ish). Is there any other cost to factor in and what is the lead time like?

Probably import tax and cost of lacing up wheels, count in valves (15$) and tape (10$) as well..

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 23:17 Quote
shbell23 wrote:

Ask them to value the package for just rims. They did with me and the total cost was £650. This was about a year ago so mat change slightly.

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 at 15:23 Quote
I know this is the light bicycle thread but leaning to the Nextie rims http://www.nextie.net/mountain-clincher-35mm-NXT27AM35 because of the price increase on the 28mm internal rims. They have the option for the hole drilled for internal spoke nipples...is this the same as the enve concept? Would anyone recommend this? Any advantages or disadvantages? Wheel building is one thing i'm very ignorant about Redface

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 at 16:25 Quote
rear 38mm AM 3x dtswiss re-vo spokes alloy nipples 32 H DT 350 hubs 54t ratchet
photo
front 38mm AM 3x re-vo spokes alloy nipples 32 H DT 350 hubs
photo

these are my second pair with ZERO issues had a 26" and a 650" good rims and customer service. I live in a dry climate weather and never had alloy nipples failure. ( I keep my wheels clean and nipples lubricated )

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 at 20:25 Quote
Sell those rotors asap unless you ride bike path. Been there done that.

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 at 23:28 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
I'm pretty heavy and I use the same rotors and haven't had any problems.

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 0:53 Quote
FSdesignify wrote:
I know this is the light bicycle thread but leaning to the Nextie rims http://www.nextie.net/mountain-clincher-35mm-NXT27AM35 because of the price increase on the 28mm internal rims. They have the option for the hole drilled for internal spoke nipples...is this the same as the enve concept? Would anyone recommend this? Any advantages or disadvantages? Wheel building is one thing i'm very ignorant about Redface

i am on this, but choose normal nipple drilling

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 7:24 Quote
sbrdude1 wrote:
whattheheel wrote:

Then you need to go faster. Not trying to be an asshat. Just for giggles. Put the stock rotors back on and go for a good ride and then report back to me.

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 8:51 Quote
I'd stay clear of Internal nips... The benefits (are there any?) come far short of the pain in the ass when you may need to true or tension the wheel.. Taking off your tires, Sealant shit everywhere and the tape removal..... Not cool. Looks cool yes.. but as a mechanic and such.. stay clear... Smile

FSdesignify wrote:

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 9:09 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
sbrdude1 wrote:
whattheheel wrote:

Then you need to go faster. Not trying to be an asshat. Just for giggles. Put the stock rotors back on and go for a good ride and then report back to me.

What's the problem with the rotors? You can't say something doesn't work and not give the reason why,right?. Maybe is you that doesn't know how to setup something properly, Not trying to be an asshat. Just for giggles.

PS : The Insurgent makes for a great bike-path bike just finish installing my flower basket on it.

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 12:12 Quote
They're light because of excessively reduced surface area and thermal mass capability. It just depends on how much severe braking you do.

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 12:40 Quote
photo

Didn't quite make a rock to rock gap. Moving at good speed. Much loud, such break.

If anyone is familiar with Windrock in Tennessee, you'll understand how this happened. Not sure any rim would have suffered any better. An alloy rim would probably have been rideable for the rest of the day, but surely toasted as well.

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 12:43 Quote
Shiver me carbon timbers ...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021033
Mobile Version of Website