Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 5:07 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Zipp 3Zero Moto rims and Berd spokes would be an interesting experiment. I'm using Race Face carbon rims with Berd spokes and the ride quality is great - distinctly smoother, yet still precise. Maybe the Zipp rims would be a step too far and either precision would be compromised or the rim could be unstable under high lateral loads - or maybe it would be the smoothest wheelset available.

ive been wanting to try this exact combo! seems like it would be crazy smooth but also feel like it might be too much and feel a little washy

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 5:11 Quote
Weight related:

switched out my 6-7 year old first gen 5.10 Minaars for Kestrel Boa.
Minaars served me well but the velcro fell apart, the fit was no longer tight, and the Kestrels are lighter and stiffer, although TBH uglier and seemingly offer less protection (the Minaars are built like a tank, with a skate shoe profile and hard rubber all around).

Easily the best upgrade in a long while.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 8:42 Quote
I’m on my second pair of Danny Mac 5.10s. They’re like a casual freerider pro. You can tell they’re mountain bike shoes because they’re filthy all the time but I dig them.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
I'm gonna try SDg for my next pair of shoes. Like MacAskills but in better colors. I just wonder how the soles will do.

On Freddo's new whip, I'll say it: I think 27.5lbs is heavy for a 100mm travel bike. That isn't any fault of his, you gotta equip the bike with stuff you like. I know the SB100 can built whippet light, but it's crazy how much weight the tires are likely adding, and I'm sure the AXS stuff isn't helping. I think we're kinda reaching peak lightness when a 100MM race XC bike is only 2-3lbs different from a high-end 150mm Enduro bike.

Then again my 120mm bike weighs 31lbs so I can't talk much.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 9:54 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I'm gonna try SDg for my next pair of shoes. Like MacAskills but in better colors. I just wonder how the soles will do.

On Freddo's new whip, I'll say it: I think 27.5lbs is heavy for a 100mm travel bike. That isn't any fault of his, you gotta equip the bike with stuff you like. I know the SB100 can built whippet light, but it's crazy how much weight the tires are likely adding, and I'm sure the AXS stuff isn't helping. I think we're kinda reaching peak lightness when a 100MM race XC bike is only 2-3lbs different from a high-end 150mm Enduro bike.

Then again my 120mm bike weighs 31lbs so I can't talk much.

AXS is lighter than mechanical.

2-3lbs is f*cking massive at the high end. Consider what people pay to save a pound on a 10k bike.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 9:56 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
Weight related:

switched out my 6-7 year old first gen 5.10 Minaars for Kestrel Boa.
Minaars served me well but the velcro fell apart, the fit was no longer tight, and the Kestrels are lighter and stiffer, although TBH uglier and seemingly offer less protection (the Minaars are built like a tank, with a skate shoe profile and hard rubber all around).

Easily the best upgrade in a long while.

I have a set of kestrals with the boa system and i really like the shoes but the boa has been very fragile. I have broken the ratchet twice from impact so you might want to get at least one spare.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
sherbet wrote:

I was under the impression that for rear shifter/derailluer its about the same in weight to XTR/XX1, but the eVerb is heavier. That was pretty early info though, I haven't seen a more recent comparison of real-world weights.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
[Quote="sherbet"]
PHeller wrote:

AXS XX1 is 5g lighter than XX1 Eagle. i know marginal gains etc but...

Isn't the AXS reverb heavier than normal?

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
I've seen Ripley's built up to 25.5 w/ XTR and sealant. No pedals. That's a 130/120 bike.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

AXS XX1 is 5g lighter than XX1 Eagle. i know marginal gains etc but...

Isn't the AXS reverb heavier than normal?

Yes, by like 15g. Then again, the Reverb is also one of the heavier posts on the market. The 170mm drop eVerb is 647g.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 10:07 Quote
Circe wrote:
I've seen Ripley's built up to 25.5 w/ XTR and sealant. No pedals. That's a 130/120 bike.

This is why I'm pointing everyone I know (who isn't a tank like me) towards the Ripley. It's a fantastic bike.

My boss is looking to replace his old Scott Spark with a 29" XC/TR bike and even if the Ripley isn't quite WCXC efficient, it's a better all-arounder than the SB100, EPIC EVO, Spark.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 10:12 Quote
[Quote="Circe"]I've seen Ripley's built up to 25.5 w/ XTR and sealant. No pedals. That's a 130/120 bike.[0/Quote]

My Hightower was 26.5 with room to drop down for sure.

Recently built up a Ripley for a customer (online frame sale) and it was a pretty slick ride. Think it came in at 28ish with a mostly GX build.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 10:40 Quote
Interesting to note that a lot of the 2020 Stumpjumpers have Kashima Transfer posts instead of Command Posts.

Also there's a new 2020 Downieville edition Stumpjumper ST that's pretty sick.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
seraph wrote:
Interesting to note that a lot of the 2020 Stumpjumpers have Kashima Transfer posts instead of Command Posts.

That DVille SJ is cool and would actually be great for my local trails... But for Downieville, I'd much rather be on a standard long travel SJ with how chewed up it is now.. I have ridden it on my Enduros through the years and never really wished for a smaller bike..

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
seraph wrote:

That DVille SJ is cool and would actually be great for my local trails... But for Downieville, I'd much rather be on a standard long travel SJ with how chewed up it is now.. I have ridden it on my Enduros through the years and never really wished for a smaller bike..

Yeah I was thinking that as well. Actually it would have been cool to see the ST with a coil shock.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.058920
Mobile Version of Website