Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Santa Cruz V10

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz V10
Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
SUIHugo wrote:
Putting on the 650 spring was frustrating for me. What did you use? The spring collar was slightly to deep to slip onto the end of the shock so i use zip ties to compress it. Once the spring is on i still have at least 1/4" of preload room left on the shock collar thread.
Im 175 pounds and this spring is finally firm enough where im not bottoming out extremely hard.

Im a little worried what spring ill need once i get the 2019 frame. Those have an increased leverage ratio?

The 650 Titanium which I had custom made was short enough to fit the shock in length but then I had the issue with the spring being to thick and robbing against the shock.
The Standard Fox 2.8 x 700 I ordered was the opposite, it was slightly to long to fit the endcap on, I guess you das the same Problem?
The solutions, well the thing I did was to use a special tool (spring compressor) but if you don’t have one you can just use a pincer to squash the spring enough to get the endcap on. I had to do this once and its wasn’t to pleasant for the spring as the paint gets scratched and its tuff you need at least 1 buddy to help you.
If you are thinking of buying the new V10 and are close to Whistler, I think Evolution Bike Shop in Whistler should have the new V10 as rentals, you could rent one for a day. They also have 700 springs to put on the rentals so you could try it out if it works for you.
Sorry for the late answer
Noah[/Quote]

Orrrrrr before going the potentially dangerous route suggested above with compressing the WRONG spring for installation, you can go the route have mentioned previously in this thread: You can contact Fox and they can provide you with the proper part number for a spring in the poundage (spring rate) you require.

I partially blame Fox for creating this confusion by not including overall spring length in the readily available stats on most websites. As a result people assume that so long as they match the shock stroke with the corresponding spring weight (2.8 for the spring in this case), all is kosher and to spec. The reality is that with the higher spring rates this may not apply to a given shock and as I am told by Fox is ESPECIALLY the case with the springs corresponding to the stroke/spring rate used by the V10.6.

Calling Fox is as easy as posting here and you will get professional advice from the company that designed the equipment. I would wait until they say you are out of luck before pursuing the non-recommended means Noah has suggested above. Aside from the potential injury, decreased life span of the equipment, and difficulty of installing the wrong spring; you also have to remember that at some point you may need to take that spring off and compressing the spring to remove the locking rings once it's on the shock is much more difficult than putting it on if you don't have the right tools/equipment.

From my previous post in this thread:

"To everyone out there compressing their springs with zip ties to get them on the shock: DON’T or do so at your own risk knowing this could lead to catastrophic failure. Fox has told me this is extremely unsafe and should not be done. Give them a call for anything 550# or above and they will provide you with the right part number. For my 2018 I was told by fox to use part # 033-22-038 which is a 600 lb sls spring. When you look it up you'll likely be thinking "that can't be right" as it is labeled as a 600lb 2.9" eye to eye 74mm stroke. I assure you Fox was correct and it fits without hassle. The key is that the spring needs to have an overall length no greater than 5.9".

Noah, it's very nice of you to take the time to offer advice to everyone, but maybe it would be prudent of you to at least provide a disclaimer that some of what you suggest is not recommended by the manufacturer and has the potential to be dangerous? And why suggest people take the hard way when fox is available to potentially provide an alternate part number that is appropriate?

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
SUIHugo wrote:
Putting on the 650 spring was frustrating for me. What did you use? The spring collar was slightly to deep to slip onto the end of the shock so i use zip ties to compress it. Once the spring is on i still have at least 1/4" of preload room left on the shock collar thread.
Im 175 pounds and this spring is finally firm enough where im not bottoming out extremely hard.

Im a little worried what spring ill need once i get the 2019 frame. Those have an increased leverage ratio?

The 650 Titanium which I had custom made was short enough to fit the shock in length but then I had the issue with the spring being to thick and robbing against the shock.
The Standard Fox 2.8 x 700 I ordered was the opposite, it was slightly to long to fit the endcap on, I guess you das the same Problem?
The solutions, well the thing I did was to use a special tool (spring compressor) but if you don’t have one you can just use a pincer to squash the spring enough to get the endcap on. I had to do this once and its wasn’t to pleasant for the spring as the paint gets scratched and its tuff you need at least 1 buddy to help you.
If you are thinking of buying the new V10 and are close to Whistler, I think Evolution Bike Shop in Whistler should have the new V10 as rentals, you could rent one for a day. They also have 700 springs to put on the rentals so you could try it out if it works for you.
Sorry for the late answer
Noah

Orrrrrr before going the potentially dangerous route suggested above with compressing the WRONG spring for installation, you can go the route have mentioned previously in this thread: You can contact Fox and they can provide you with the proper part number for a spring in the poundage (spring rate) you require.

I partially blame Fox for creating this confusion by not including overall spring length in the readily available stats on most websites. As a result people assume that so long as they match the shock stroke with the corresponding spring weight (2.8 for the spring in this case), all is kosher and to spec. The reality is that with the higher spring rates this may not apply to a given shock and as I am told by Fox is ESPECIALLY the case with the springs corresponding to the stroke/spring rate used by the V10.6.

Calling Fox is as easy as posting here and you will get professional advice from the company that designed the equipment. I would wait until they say you are out of luck before pursuing the non-recommended means Noah has suggested above. Aside from the potential injury, decreased life span of the equipment, and difficulty of installing the wrong spring; you also have to remember that at some point you may need to take that spring off and compressing the spring to remove the locking rings once it's on the shock is much more difficult than putting it on if you don't have the right tools/equipment.

From my previous post in this thread:

"To everyone out there compressing their springs with zip ties to get them on the shock: DON’T or do so at your own risk knowing this could lead to catastrophic failure. Fox has told me this is extremely unsafe and should not be done. Give them a call for anything 550# or above and they will provide you with the right part number. For my 2018 I was told by fox to use part # 033-22-038 which is a 600 lb sls spring. When you look it up you'll likely be thinking "that can't be right" as it is labeled as a 600lb 2.9" eye to eye 74mm stroke. I assure you Fox was correct and it fits without hassle. The key is that the spring needs to have an overall length no greater than 5.9".

Noah, it's very nice of you to take the time to offer advice to everyone, but maybe it would be prudent of you to at least provide a disclaimer that some of what you suggest is not recommended by the manufacturer and has the potential to be dangerous? And why suggest people take the hard way when fox is available to potentially provide an alternate part number that is appropriate?[/Quote]

Dear Shartrilloquist,
Ok I would like to add a few more things here.
Lets start with the disclaimer, as I stated in my first comment I am not a professional or something. Now this means that I am also NOT a Fox employee, therefore I can not say anything to the warranty. Please note also that I am from Switzerland and we don’t have to add disclaimers if we just add in a Forum what I did to my bike. What you do to your bike and so on is each their on risk. I also never stated go and do this.
Now lets get to the Important bits it is true that Fox did create a difficult scenario with the V10.6 Shock (2,75 x 8,75) and the spring you have to use the 2.8.
Now the reason why I posted my comment here was, there is no Fox spring that fits the V10.6 above 600lbs without a spring compressor. I had multiple contacts with them. In one scenario I had a warranty case on my shock (The shock cracked). I met them in person at Crankworx Whistler and they knew about the problem with the shock size. As I talk with them about it and I brought them my spring and shock assembled together. They repaired it and but the spring themselves on my new shock.
Also I do not recommend using sip ties or a pincer to put the shock on. Use a special tool called a spring compressor, if used by a professional its save, it shouldn’t damage the spring (on your own risk). Again I am not from Fox (as everyone should know by now) I cannot say anything about warranty.
Also with the spring its sometimes difficult to find a solution, I recommend always to contact Fox, Santa Cruz or your local bike shop if you have a problem with your shock. Just a little note it is not just eye to eye that matters the are other factors as well such as id od and so on. Also you are right now that Fox has different SLS springs there are other solutions but I believe there still is only a 2.8 650 and 700 stell one that fits, this maybe has changed since I had the Problem.

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
[Quote="SUIHugo”]

Dear Shartrilloquist,
Lets start with the disclaimer, as I stated in my first comment I am not a professional or something. Now this means that I am also NOT a Fox employee, therefore I can not say anything to the warranty. Please note also that I am from Switzerland and we don’t have to add disclaimers if we just add in a Forum what I did to my bike. What you do to your bike and so on is each their on risk. I also never stated go and do this.
Now lets get to the Important bits it is true that Fox did create a difficult scenario with the V10.6 Shock (2,75 x 8,75) and the spring you have to use the 2.8.
Now the reason why I posted my comment here was, there is no Fox spring that fits the V10.6 above 600lbs without a spring compressor. I had multiple contacts with them. In one scenario I had a warranty case on my shock (The shock cracked). I met them in person at Crankworx Whistler and they knew about the problem with the shock size. As I talk with them about it and I brought them my spring and shock assembled together. They repaired it and but the spring themselves on my new shock.
Also I do not recommend using sip ties or a pincer to put the shock on. Use a special tool called a spring compressor, if used by a professional its save, it shouldn’t damage the spring (on your own risk). Again I am not from Fox (as everyone should know by now) I cannot say anything about warranty.
Also with the spring its sometimes difficult to find a solution, I recommend always to contact Fox, Santa Cruz or your local bike shop if you have a problem with your shock. Just a little note it is not just eye to eye that matters the are other factors as well such as id od and so on. Also you are right now that Fox has different SLS springs there are other solutions but I believe there still is only a 2.8 650 and 700 stell one that fits, this maybe has changed since I had the Problem.[/Quote]

Were you able to keep a straight face when you typed “Dear Shartriloquist”?

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 15:47 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
[Quote="SUIHugo”]

Dear Shartrilloquist,
Also with the spring its sometimes difficult to find a solution, I recommend always to contact Fox, Santa Cruz or your local bike shop if you have a problem with your shock. Just a little note it is not just eye to eye that matters the are other factors as well such as id od and so on. Also you are right now that Fox has different SLS springs there are other solutions but I believe there still is only a 2.8 650 and 700 stell one that fits, this maybe has changed since I had the Problem.

Were you able to keep a straight face when you typed “Dear Shartriloquist”?[/Quote]

Yes, man if you are in whistler this summer id like to invite you to a beer =)

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 20:47 Quote
Yea makes sense.
The 2.8 650 spring was only 40$ and wanted to give it a try. Ill most likely order a 650 and a 750 in the correct size this summer from fox so I can switch them easily.
Thanks for all the info

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 at 3:36 Quote
inshane-himself wrote:
Yea makes sense.
The 2.8 650 spring was only 40$ and wanted to give it a try. Ill most likely order a 650 and a 750 in the correct size this summer from fox so I can switch them easily.
Thanks for all the info

Could you let me know if you can find a 750 as i believe fox stops at 700?

Cheers
Noah

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 6:27 Quote
Just arrived and pick up from lbs
Can't wait for the weekendBig Grin

photo

photo

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
Man delivery of my frame keeps getting pushed back!

O+
Posted: May 20, 2019 at 12:42 Quote
My new V10 X01 just arrived a week ago and I am super stoked!

I was wondering, there seems to be a weird squeak coming from the rear either linkage or shock. It worries me because obviously the linkage and the shock were already bolted and ready to go from the factory. Has anyone else had this issue? Any possible remedies?

photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: May 20, 2019 at 23:00 Quote
Nice bike! Check to see if the spring is seated. Rotate it and giggle it around. Try greasing the lower link. Also could be the clutch in the rear derailleur. All those have been a prob on mine.
If that’s not it then have a friend bounce on it till you source the noise. You can normally feel it with your fingers.

O+
Posted: May 21, 2019 at 3:09 Quote
I just got my V10 29. Find it really hard to get use to how high you have to run the seat. I have a Megatower and have no problem getting the seat low, but with the V10 you have to run it very high to avoid seat buzz due to the slack seat angle.

I have also found myself going to a heavier coil compared to what I ran on my last V10.

Also, based off limited riding with a too light coil it’s really, really fast and very stable in the air.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 11:26 Quote
My golden trick to isolating linkage creaks is to loosen one then cycle suspension, retight then loosen another cycle repeat... the loose pivot is freed from stress that makes the creak and generally goes silent, or gets worse once in a while, from factory I’ve always had no issues w SC frames, but sometimes the rear hubs, or seat clamps cranks ect could cause creaking. Sounds can be really tricky to isolate goodluck!

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
wibblywobbly wrote:
I just got my V10 29. Find it really hard to get use to how high you have to run the seat. I have a Megatower and have no problem getting the seat low, but with the V10 you have to run it very high to avoid seat buzz due to the slack seat angle.

I have also found myself going to a heavier coil compared to what I ran on my last V10.

Also, based off limited riding with a too light coil it’s really, really fast and very stable in the air.

Maybe run the seat more forward/use the longer wheelbase flip chip?

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 16:13 Quote
Hey guy maybe you can help me with something. Currently running an RC4 with 550lb ti spring on my 2015 V10. I am replacing the RC4 with a DHX2. Think I should go with 550lb sls spring on this shock? Santa cruz recommends 550 but Fox calculator says run 500lb would give my about 31% sag. I was thinking go 525 since 550 says 28.6% sag.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 19:13 Quote
LMAO looking at the bikes on the first page of the forum in comparison with the bikes on this page is hilariouslol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.122188
Mobile Version of Website