YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Mar 25, 2023 at 13:47 Quote
arnaudgrd wrote:
Hi guys,
I got a nice jeffsy cf comp 29 from 2019. It is a 140/140mm bike, I am looking to make a more sturdy build.
I bought a 160mm fox 36, I am now wondering how to make the rear suit the fork.
I see the new jeffsy are 150mm rear, with 210*55mm suspension rather than my 210*50mm fox shock.

Do you think the frames are the same and I could suit something ilke a rockshox deluxe 210*55mm shock to make it 150mm travel ?

Thank you guys

If you're wanting a more sturdy ride, try some more DH orientated tires (i.e. thicker casings). More travel doesn't always mean more sturdy. Way cheaper to try and if you do end up going with more travel, your tires will already be more proper for the speed/terrain.
DH tires on these stock travel bikes makes them little trail weapons. I rode my 140/140 Jeffsy at Whistler for a week, just threw on some DH Casing tires

Posted: Mar 25, 2023 at 13:54 Quote
Tmae wrote:
arnaudgrd wrote:
Hi guys,
I got a nice jeffsy cf comp 29 from 2019. It is a 140/140mm bike, I am looking to make a more sturdy build.
I see the new jeffsy are 150mm rear, with 210*55mm suspension rather than my 210*50mm fox shock.

Do you think the frames are the same and I could suit something ilke a rockshox deluxe 210*55mm shock to make it 150mm travel ?

Thank you guys

Even 170/170 is possible (at least with an XL frame) see some posts above

increasing from 140 to 170 travel is a bit too far off the original design/engineering for this bike. Leave the bike as was intended (or close to it) and ride it for what you bought it for.

-learn to tune your suspension
-service that suspension
-try heavier tires
-up-fork it by +10mm or +20mm at most

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 2:37 Quote
code26 wrote:
Tmae wrote:
arnaudgrd wrote:
Hi guys,

Thank you guys

Even 170/170 is possible (at least with an XL frame) see some posts above

increasing from 140 to 170 travel is a bit too far off the original design/engineering for this bike. Leave the bike as was intended (or close to it) and ride it for what you bought it for.

-learn to tune your suspension
-service that suspension
-try heavier tires
-up-fork it by +10mm or +20mm at most

I am going for a 36 160mm front and a super deluxe 150mm rear on a size L, looking at the different builds here it doesnt seem too much. I am selling my capra cause its too big, just need a small upgrade and I think it will be great !

I will try heavier tires, althought the e13 ones seem quite sturdy already ?

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 12:52 Quote
photo

photo

Before / after
It looks good !

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 5:28 Quote
Today I took out the rear shock to clean everything. For the ones wanting to play with 216x63 shocks, here are the max size/stroke allowed on a 2021 Jeffsy 29 L size.

Max compressed suspension: 152mm low setting / 149mm high setting
Max expanded suspension: 218mm low setting / 215mm high setting

Max Stroke: 66mm.

a 216x63mm shock can be used, to have some more margin using a 1.5mm bushing and in LOW setting would still give 3.5mm of freeplay but will reduce the max stroke to 64.5mm (still 1.5mm free)

Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 9:21 Quote
Good findings Smile

Basically same as I experienced on my XL Frame.

What I thought was that maybe the clearance from seat to rear tire might be an issue for a L frame in case you have your seat all way down (with a long stroke dropper post).
Because the XL has 440mm chain stays and the L only 435mm.

I have a 210mm Oneup dropper on my XL frame and it‘s still enough space between rear tire and seat, but not plenty.
(216x63mm shock with 1.5mm offset bushing in Low)

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 9:44 Quote
Roughly how much rear travel are we thinking this then gives you?

Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 10:30 Quote
Almost exactly 170mm, i calculated something like 169 if I remember correctly (with the leverage ratio graph)

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 1:53 Quote
I bought a Izzo for the flat trails in the Netherlands and wanted to beef up my Jeffsy for the park rides. Thanks to Tmae I tried it and the 216x63 fits perfect. Didn't ride the bike yet but now you can swap between a homemade Capra and a Jeffsy!
Both front and rear 170 with a 1.5 works Angleset.

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 4:43 Quote
RobK1979 wrote:
I bought a Izzo for the flat trails in the Netherlands and wanted to beef up my Jeffsy for the park rides. Thanks to Tmae I tried it and the 216x63 fits perfect. Didn't ride the bike yet but now you can swap between a homemade Capra and a Jeffsy!
Both front and rear 170 with a 1.5 works Angleset.

Do you see some difference for uphill ?

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 6:03 Quote
I don't know because I didn't ride the bike yet, but for me it's a park bike so only for uplifts. I have a bomber CR coil so no lockout! It will bring you up but it's not the best climber i think. You can compare it with the Capra

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 0:03 Quote
Ok thanks !

I was wondering a few things about rear suspension: I got a fox float performance elite shock, it works fine, although I've always had the feeling it EATS the energy when pushing for a manual. Manuals have always been way harder than my 27" capra (which has a superdeluxe and similar cinematics i guess?).

Should I put more pressure in my shock ? Has it something to do with the very progressive cinematic you all talk about ?
I recently got a superdeluxe air to push to 150mm of travel, although I now wonder if it would change anything.

Would a coil help with this ? I think I get what people say about "no mid support", but I technically dont get how a more linear suspension could help, in my head it would be the opposite. If someone could explain it to me that would be great Smile

Thank you and have a nice day !

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 3:30 Quote
I guess 27“ was just easier to lift then 29“ is now pulling for a manual.
I don‘t think it‘s related to the shock, but you can try to add some compression or air and see if it helps you.

I had the Superdeluxe air before, I also felt like it has lack of mid stroke support, so i upgraded the shock with the Megneg can, was a great upgrade, much more support and only the needed travel was released, not „always“ like 80-90%.
Coil also has a good midstroke support.
The Megneg upgrade is bringing the curve basically more to a coil like curve.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5V1q3JpTBMYoXcW56

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 5:03 Quote
Tmae wrote:
I guess 27“ was just easier to lift then 29“ is now pulling for a manual.
I don‘t think it‘s related to the shock, but you can try to add some compression or air and see if it helps you.

I had the Superdeluxe air before, I also felt like it has lack of mid stroke support, so i upgraded the shock with the Megneg can, was a great upgrade, much more support and only the needed travel was released, not „always“ like 80-90%.
Coil also has a good midstroke support.
The Megneg upgrade is bringing the curve basically more to a coil like curve.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5V1q3JpTBMYoXcW56

I read the megneg made it more progressive and thus was not recommended for the jeffsy, although considering the curves you show, it seems more linear until the end of travel, which is great !
Is the kit easy to assemble ?

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 5:03 Quote
I used a bigger spacer 0.8 and more air in my fox float. But I didn't like the fox damper and switched to coil.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015160
Mobile Version of Website