Your Spray Painted Stuff?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Your Spray Painted Stuff?
Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
for me its kinda hard to expect the coil, while it moves constantly, heats up cools down and gets slammed around- to not crack and peel a paint off it. the paint isn't designed to be that flexible either, and i'm not sure you even prepped the coil before you painted it. it doesn't look scuffed, but i might be wrong. i might be wrong about everything, who knows.
but if you are so keen to have a black coil perhaps try using heat shrink tubing on it...

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 14:58 Quote
I painted over the original Fox coating a couple of years ago. You can see in the first photo the paint lasted well and I've only done this as the original (powder?) coating started to peel off. I completely stripped the spring using 120 grit. All in all it was an easy job and if it lasts as well as the first time I sprayed it I'll be happy enough.
In my opinion trying to prize the spring apart at the end in order to feed heat shrink on would be a nightmare and could damage the spring. Each to their own though.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 15:12 Quote
commental wrote:
I painted over the original Fox coating a couple of years ago. You can see in the first photo the paint lasted well and I've only done this as the original (powder?) coating started to peel off. I completely stripped the spring using 120 grit. All in all it was an easy job and if it lasts as well as the first time I sprayed it I'll be happy enough.

it lasted 2 seasons? thats a compliment to the prep job and the paint choice for sure. i couldnt tell if the coil was prepped- old eyes- but now you got me thinking about heat shrink tube wraps as a finishing solution for a variety of details. happy trails dude.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 15:24 Quote
You too man, and just to say I've admired some of your work and I'm perfectly aware that my rattle can skills are a very distant cousin to your talents. Heat shrink is great for tidy cables and I'm now wondering about cranks.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 16:42 Quote
commental wrote:
You too man, and just to say I've admired some of your work and I'm perfectly aware that my rattle can skills are a very distant cousin to your talents. Heat shrink is great for tidy cables and I'm now wondering about cranks.

Obee got mad skills...

Bike looks really good with that black coil. Job's a good'un tup

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 19:46 Quote
commental wrote:

kind words dude. you'd be amazed what can be done with a variety of fat caps, some frisket or stencils and a spread of rattlecan paint. if you ever wanna dive into airbrushing and need advice i'm available. my instagram is summercarverart if you wanna see any recent work. mutual appreciation committee meeting is concluded. cheers lol

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2023 at 17:07 Quote
My Son decided to repaint my beater city bike..... Big Grin

photo

Posted: Feb 1, 2023 at 4:07 Quote
that's pretty slick..! city slick as a matter of fact tup

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2023 at 14:14 Quote
commental wrote:
In my opinion trying to prize the spring apart at the end in order to feed heat shrink on would be a nightmare and could damage the spring. Each to their own though.

LOLOLOL

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 12:13 Quote
obee1 wrote:
try using heat shrink tubing on it...
Same idea, but still haven't figured out how to insall tube.. hiw to spread spring at the start ?

Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 6:47 Quote
Would be the ultimate protection for a spring if it was easy to do.

The thought of winding a tube of heatshrink around the coils of a spring like that makes my eye twitch.

I think it would get so many kinks in it as you worked it around the spring, that it would make it harder and harder to get it around the full length. God forbid it splits when you shrink it. Facepalm

One could potentially die from frustration.

Post pics....and timeline.....if anyone tackles this

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 11:01 Quote
Taildragger wrote:

photo

Heisenbike

Mod
Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 11:06 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Taildragger wrote:

photo

Heisenbike
jesse, we need to paint bikes

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 11:22 Quote
mior wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
Taildragger wrote:

photo

Heisenbike
jesse, we need to paint bikes

yikes. not that you were asking but a market among teens and twenty somethings who are so obsessively brand driven doesn't seem like an ideal attack vector for custom paint jobs. not to mention the limited surface area and endless need to spin and turn the bike as you paint. good luck, maybe take a peek at custom moto or helmet design...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016029
Mobile Version of Website