Powered by Outside

Nissan UCI MTB World Cup 2010 Presented By Shimano-Leogang

PB Forum :: Downhill
Nissan UCI MTB World Cup 2010 Presented By Shimano-Leogang
Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 7:10 Quote
timlake wrote:
He's just boring.

Downhill = Being good at riding steep gnarly rooty rocky savage muddy shit.

Minnaar = Awesome at pedalling (which is what XC is for) and pretty good at techy shit.
Fairclough/Blinky/Hill/Reid = f*cking awesome at technical, all on flats (proper dh pedals) loose as f*ck. Awesome to watch. Proper DH riders.
I couldn't agree more. It's getting too predictable, and I'd rather watch someone like Hill, Smith, or Fairclough win.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 7:11 Quote
Gee just killed it on non pedal parts of track, his run was so dilled. And Reid's run was freakin insane.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 7:32 Quote
sydiacate all the wayyyy

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 8:09 Quote
Sad that Lahikoinen didn't podium.

Tim.... erm, are you arguing that tis isn't a proper downhill track then? Minaar is not pretty good at tech, he's f*cking awesome. If Reid is actually a better rider than Minaar at tech, why doesn't he beat Minaar at Schladming?

Good job Greg.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 8:47 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Sad that Lahikoinen didn't podium.

Tim.... erm, are you arguing that tis isn't a proper downhill track then? Minaar is not pretty good at tech, he's f*cking awesome. If Reid is actually a better rider than Minaar at tech, why doesn't he beat Minaar at Schladming?

Good job Greg.

Yep, I am. Too much pedalling. There is a flat section. Flat does not = Downhill.

He's not 'f*cking awesome' at tech stuff. This point will get proven at Champery. If he wins there, I'll admit he's good at Tech stuff.

Fair point?

Last two years Reid has crashed at Schladming. He says himself he's never good in race runs. He lacks composure. But if you watch Reid on the technical bits compared to Minnaar the difference is blindingly obvious.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 9:07 Quote
Reid has awesome style, just check out the video of him at Glencoe on dirt.

i tinhk i get what you mean about minaar being boring to watch as he is so consistent. it would make it much more interesting if there was a different winner at every round, would make the series more exciting. but you have to hand it to greg, he must train hella hard to win at places like leogang considering his strength is in pedalling not technical

also reid i guess does lack compusure, but then again he did place 3rd at the BDS at fort william, a track he says doesnt play to his strengths

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 9:13 Quote
Reid was on fire that weekend. They made the track loads more technical and he was f*cking killing it on that stuff. I have some footage of him at the top, and he's almost twice as fast as some of the other guys over it.

But yes, Minnaar must train real hard, but then that must mean he lacks skill surely?

Look at Fairclough. He does pretty much f*ck all training, comes into this season and he's sitting in 6th.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 9:14 Quote
timlake wrote:
Reid was on fire that weekend. They made the track loads more technical and he was f*cking killing it on that stuff. I have some footage of him at the top, and he's almost twice as fast as some of the other guys over it.

But yes, Minnaar must train real hard, but then that must mean he lacks skill surely?

Look at Fairclough. He does pretty much f*ck all training, comes into this season and he's sitting in 6th.
his training shows determination and that he wants to do well.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 9:20 Quote
timlake wrote:
He's just boring.

Minnaar = Awesome at pedalling (which is what XC is for) and pretty good at techy shit.
Fairclough/Blinky/Hill/Reid = f*cking awesome at technical, all on flats (proper dh pedals) loose as f*ck. Awesome to watch. Proper DH riders.

To say Minnaar isn't a proper dh rider is just bs, in my opinion. Yes, he's good at pedalling but you've got to be damn fast in the more technical terrain as well to be consistently in the top 5.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 9:21 Quote
lew-77 wrote:
timlake wrote:

his training shows determination and that he wants to do well.

Obviously pays off as well

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 9:24 Quote
timlake wrote:
Brendan did say at the start of the season that he spent time trianing with Sam which might be a reason for his improvements?

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 9:28 Quote
Either way, he's still boring to watch. Look at his run, and there was no moments where you thought "holy shit".

Anyway. Hill is out for Champery, looks like Rach will be too, which is a shame.

Also Mitch Delfs got a DSQ, wonder what that was for. George Brannigan is the highest placed junior and takes the leaders jersey off Troy. Manon was the only Junior girl to ride and finished 9th.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 9:29 Quote
When he was going one footed round that corner in the air I thought "holy shit", also the speed he was going. That was about it though.

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 9:31 Quote
jascha100 wrote:
timlake wrote:
He's just boring.

To say Minnaar isn't a proper dh rider is just bs, in my opinion. Yes, he's good at pedalling but you've got to be damn fast in the more technical terrain as well to be consistently in the top 5.

Not saying he isn't. Just saying there are riders more worthy of being on the top step.

If you go to anyone,outside the sport and say you need to be really fit to ride downhill, they'll say "But you're just going down a hill, you don't need to be fit for that"

Being good at pedalling shouldn't determine who wins. In fact, there shouldn't be long pedally straights at all, that's not what people think of when you say there is a downhill race going on...

Posted: Jun 20, 2010 at 9:33 Quote
crashin wrote:
When he was going one footed round that corner in the air I thought "holy shit", also the speed he was going. That was about it though.

Yeah, but that's "holy shit that was sketchy" than, "Holy shit that was fast and in control".

Call this a self plug, but watch my video from Fort William, and watch Reid go through the rock garden at the top in comparison to most of the other riders, and you think, "Holy shit that guy has skills". (watch from 2.20)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015893
Mobile Version of Website