My driver 8
photo

Before the 40s
photo

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 at 22:01 Quote
tomcoady wrote:
my stealth bomber.

photo

How are you liking your Straitline chain guide so far? Nice bike, I'm getting a sort of stealthy-retro look feeling from those colours Smile

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 at 22:09 Quote
My '10 Giant:

photo

photo

Fairly stock aside for chromag, snafu, and maxxis bits. Going to be trying out a pair of 2.5 minion EXO's soon.
Plans for next year: ti spring, some custom machined parts and modification, maybe some frame colour rework as well..

edit: also may try to get the front end a little lower. Anybody have any experience with the Spank Director stem? linky: http://spank-ind.com/index.php?a=info&do=pro&id=69&tid=1

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 3:35 Quote
powskier wrote:
My '10 Giant:

photo

photo

Fairly stock aside for chromag, snafu, and maxxis bits. Going to be trying out a pair of 2.5 minion EXO's soon.
Plans for next year: ti spring, some custom machined parts and modification, maybe some frame colour rework as well..

edit: also may try to get the front end a little lower. Anybody have any experience with the Spank Director stem? linky: http://spank-ind.com/index.php?a=info&do=pro&id=69&tid=1

you wont get much lower than wioth the canfield brothers direct mount stem. the spank one does look pretty cool tho, almost bought one before finding a sunline cheap.

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 6:38 Quote
powskier wrote:
tomcoady wrote:
my stealth bomber.

photo

How are you liking your Straitline chain guide so far? Nice bike, I'm getting a sort of stealthy-retro look feeling from those colours Smile

well the chain hasn't fallen off and its nice and quiet, can't really expect much more from a chainguide!

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 15:21 Quote
photo

For all the Kona haters or people who generally think that Kona cant make a good bike, THIS BIKE IS SICK. I raced it for a whole season and nothing broke, nothing went wrong, nothing squeaked or rattled or even came loose. it was a Large frame which came out of the box at 42 lbs, i replaced the maxxis tubes with some light ones and dropped close to a lbs with that. Wa Wa pedals, Saint derailer, Ti WTB seat, and a sunline 50mm direct mount helped to drop it to 39.4 lbs . the bike impressed me mostly by being amazing at keeping control and tracking through really rough sections of the course, i like the single pivot/faux bar suspension design because its easy to pop off of lips and clear roots n sharp rocks unlike a VPP V10 . overall a great bike 9.5/10 , only negative is lack or tuning on the vanilla R shock.

~ Tro B

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 16:39 Quote
You say that every time you post your bike LOL

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 16:54 Quote
photo
photo

My 2010 224 Evo. Out of all the bikes I've owned and ridden, this is my favourite. Geometry is spot on at 63* HA and 13.9in BB height. I have the cockpit low with 20mm rise Kodex bars and a Straitline true 0* rise stem. The frame is a 15 inch and fits me well, I'm 5.10 tall.

Specs are;

Frame - 2010 224 EVO
Rear shock - BOS Stoy 350lb spring
Fork - Boxxer Teams medium spring
Handlebars - Kodex Strut Bar 750mm
Stem - Straitline Zero Rise 50mm
Headset - FSA Orbit
Grips - JetBlack
Saddle - SDG Ti-Fly
Seatpost - Tommo
Front brake - Formula The One
Rear brake - Formula The One
Cranks - Shimano XT 165's
Chainguide - e-thirteen LG+
Chain - Shimano
Pedals - Po1nt
Rear derailleur - SRAM X-9
Rear shifter - SRAM X-9
Cassette - Ultegra
Front hub - DeeMax 20mm
Rear hub - DeeMax 135mm
Front rim - DeeMax
Rear rim - DeeMax
Tyres - Maxxis Minion DHF UST 2.5
Tubes - Tubeless
Total weight - 17.24kg

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 1:09 Quote
Jase76 wrote:
photo
photo

My 2010 224 Evo. Out of all the bikes I've owned and ridden, this is my favourite. Geometry is spot on at 63* HA and 13.9in BB height. I have the cockpit low with 20mm rise Kodex bars and a Straitline true 0* rise stem. The frame is a 15 inch and fits me well, I'm 5.10 tall.

Specs are;

Frame - 2010 224 EVO
Rear shock - BOS Stoy 350lb spring
Fork - Boxxer Teams medium spring
Handlebars - Kodex Strut Bar 750mm
Stem - Straitline Zero Rise 50mm
Headset - FSA Orbit
Grips - JetBlack
Saddle - SDG Ti-Fly
Seatpost - Tommo
Front brake - Formula The One
Rear brake - Formula The One
Cranks - Shimano XT 165's
Chainguide - e-thirteen LG+
Chain - Shimano
Pedals - Po1nt
Rear derailleur - SRAM X-9
Rear shifter - SRAM X-9
Cassette - Ultegra
Front hub - DeeMax 20mm
Rear hub - DeeMax 135mm
Front rim - DeeMax
Rear rim - DeeMax
Tyres - Maxxis Minion DHF UST 2.5
Tubes - Tubeless
Total weight - 17.24kg

That is sick!

Posted: Nov 27, 2010 at 21:38 Quote
My bike. Not bad for my first full sus.....
photo

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 at 11:37 Quote
HIkonashred wrote:
photo

This same frame was my first full suspension bike too. You should get the upgrade link for it though..

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/shock-upgrade/specialized/big-hit-8-travel-upgrade-kit/PRD_362384_143crx.aspx

Maybe just me but that shock looks a little long for that frame

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 at 12:48 Quote
powskier wrote:
HIkonashred wrote:
photo

This same frame was my first full suspension bike too. You should get the upgrade link for it though..

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/shock-upgrade/specialized/big-hit-8-travel-upgrade-kit/PRD_362384_143crx.aspx

That may be true, im not sure. Any ideas on travel? It does work just fine for me though...

Posted: Nov 28, 2010 at 21:03 Quote
photo

If I get any extra money I might put some boxxers or something on it, otherwise i'm really happy with it right now.

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 at 18:04 Quote
HIkonashred wrote:
powskier wrote:
HIkonashred wrote:
photo

That may be true, im not sure. Any ideas on travel? It does work just fine for me though...

I took a peak at Specialized bike archives and it looks like you're running an 02 or 03 frame. If you compare the BB height from the ones on the site with yours it seems to be a little taller and has a steeper head angle.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?arc=2003&spid=20926

As for travel, I'm not sure how much you would have now, maybe an extra inch give or take with the longer stroke? Try taking the spring out and crank your rebound all the way slow to see how far you compress..

If it's working for you, great! But I think you would really be able to utilize that awesome shock with the link upgrage Smile
(Keep in mind, you may want to upgrade your fork to something bigger as well if you do this)

edit: not sure what the stock shock eye to eye length is supposed to be on those big hit frames but that may be something to look into as well

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 at 21:13 Quote
powskier wrote:
HIkonashred wrote:
powskier wrote:

I took a peak at Specialized bike archives and it looks like you're running an 02 or 03 frame. If you compare the BB height from the ones on the site with yours it seems to be a little taller and has a steeper head angle.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?arc=2003&spid=20926

As for travel, I'm not sure how much you would have now, maybe an extra inch give or take with the longer stroke? Try taking the spring out and crank your rebound all the way slow to see how far you compress..

If it's working for you, great! But I think you would really be able to utilize that awesome shock with the link upgrage Smile
(Keep in mind, you may want to upgrade your fork to something bigger as well if you do this)

edit: not sure what the stock shock eye to eye length is supposed to be on those big hit frames but that may be something to look into as well

Your the man!! I've been trying to figure out frame year for a while!! On the linkage upgrade, i was cruzing ebay a couple days ago, and couldnt find one. people were saying it was a specilized made part and they stopped making it.......

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.154369
Mobile Version of Website