Dirt and tool descussion for tools like me

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Dirt and tool descussion for tools like me
Posted: May 2, 2012 at 9:16 Quote
Depends on the dirt you have , I personally don't use digging spades much as I'm lucky to have sandy dirt , so a heavy duty trenching Hoe does the trick for me , you can break and move huge amounts of dirt with them.

Posted: May 2, 2012 at 9:33 Quote
tom666 wrote:
bigburd wrote:
OllyV1995 wrote:
Just bought a Lidl long handle, great for the money. Im heading down to B&Q tomorrow too for a Long handle pointed spade too for digging, the short garden spades are really starting to annoy me and my back. Also, essential bit of trail building kit to me is a frying pan! Compacts dirt SO well, loads of control and free! Just pisses the mother off a bit.

Ha ha !
I can imagine the faces on walkers as they stroll along to see a man on his hands and knees sweating and hitting the floor with a frying pan Big Grin

haha. I have to say I'm tempted by a lidl long handle...

get one whilst you can, you wont regret it!

Posted: May 2, 2012 at 9:35 Quote
OllyV1995 wrote:
bigburd wrote:
tom666 wrote:

haha. I have to say I'm tempted by a lidl long handle...

Long handle shovels are a very worthy investment , took me a while to learn how to use it effectively tho Razz

Yeah i've had some odd looks... Does the job though! Yep the lidl long handles are insanely good for the price.. Also guys, what would you reccomend as a good, long handled digging shovel? Irish shovel maybe?

long handles are definitely different. Also go to b&q and get the big f*ck off metal round point one. Its big, heavy, and wont (shouldn't) break

Posted: May 2, 2012 at 9:36 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Depends on the dirt you have , I personally don't use digging spades much as I'm lucky to have sandy dirt , so a heavy duty trenching Hoe does the trick for me , you can break and move huge amounts of dirt with them.

Lucky... sand dirt....

spades are really for sand, shovels for clay if you go by the general trends of use. Also digging hoes are the nuts, so goof for just shifting dirt from a bomhole out into the base for a nice landing

Posted: May 2, 2012 at 10:04 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
bigburd wrote:

Lucky... sand dirt....

spades are really for sand, shovels for clay if you go by the general trends of use. Also digging hoes are the nuts, so goof for just shifting dirt from a bomhole out into the base for a nice landing

Yeah we have great dirt at our local 1 side of the hill is nearly pure sand , go 800m around its 50/50 sand/clay , really surpised no dirt jump trail builders are here as you can make nearly any shape you wish

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 at 8:15 Quote
Excuse the gravedig but can anybody direct me on where to buy the bulldog square mouth long handles ? I've googled it and found a few tool makers called bulldog but i can't seem to find any with the square mouth long handles ? Is it an american brand ?

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 at 9:22 Quote
Bulldog are the only ones, bulldog uk tools, go on their website and it is in the contractors section, ro builders, something like that, they have 47, and 52 inch handles, i think it was the number 8 head i thought was best

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 at 9:56 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
Bulldog are the only ones, bulldog uk tools, go on their website and it is in the contractors section, ro builders, something like that, they have 47, and 52 inch handles, i think it was the number 8 head i thought was best

Okay thanks for your help . and whats the significance of the head number ? it doesn't seem so obvious , i presume its the head shape but the pictures aren't great.

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 at 10:06 Quote
Basically dimensions, check though i could be wrong, but it was a good size, not too massive, but big enough to be efficient in use

Posted: Oct 2, 2012 at 12:05 Quote
Hi has anyone got tips on how to make the side of a jump straight coz mine keep collapsing so I have to rebuild them thanksSmile

Posted: Oct 2, 2012 at 12:22 Quote
slabbing, or building in shelves..... i can go into detail if you want ha

Posted: Oct 2, 2012 at 13:49 Quote
Is the dirt you are working with sandy?

Posted: Oct 2, 2012 at 14:21 Quote
erm.... depends how deep it came from ha

Posted: Oct 5, 2012 at 20:06 Quote
Mega hand winch

Scored this beast while rummaging around the endless shit in my yard. Say it can winch up to 5 tonne. Should be useful for moving boulders or pulling out small tree stumps ... Now all i gotta do is find the steel cable for it and figure out how to use the dang thing haha

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 at 1:17 Quote
bj4x4 wrote:
Mega hand winch

Scored this beast while rummaging around the endless shit in my yard. Say it can winch up to 5 tonne. Should be useful for moving boulders or pulling out small tree stumps ... Now all i gotta do is find the steel cable for it and figure out how to use the dang thing haha

Good find dude , well handy bit of equiptment.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.039694
Mobile Version of Website