Powered by Outside

Retro 1994 GT Zaskar

PB Forum :: GT
Retro 1994 GT Zaskar
O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2017 at 15:57 Quote
That is by far the most inspiring Zaskar I've seen to date! Beautiful iterations thorough out the build as well! I have a 1997 Avalanche LE build with 6061-T6 here in good ole California before being built in Taiwan. Not only is the metal 6061 it is also flat capped with the GT logo on the top tube. You wouldnt even know it was an Avalanche over a Zaskar if it wasnt for the decals and the 20" frame. My GT when I picked it up came with a Marzocchi Bomber Z3(similar to your Z2 I think? Any chance you could repost the Bomber rebuild link you posted before? It not longer works :-( Any new updates to the bike? Cheers from across the pond!

Posted: Oct 13, 2017 at 0:58 Quote
If it has a flat end cap then its not an avalanche. There is an album on my profile with all the fork pictures in

Sean Smile

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 6:20 Quote
OF all the forks you have tried which rigid forks did you like the best? In your original post i can tell what kind of forks those are.

Also one of the last posts you did had some nice unicrown rigid forks as well.

I am looking for some rigid forks for a GT frameset that i have and want to be close on geometry if i can. Any recommendations?

BTW...this is the best Zaskar thread on the web. Very nicely done.

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 4:59 Quote
scale21 wrote:
OF all the forks you have tried which rigid forks did you like the best? In your original post i can tell what kind of forks those are.

Also one of the last posts you did had some nice unicrown rigid forks as well.

I am looking for some rigid forks for a GT frameset that i have and want to be close on geometry if i can. Any recommendations?

BTW...this is the best Zaskar thread on the web. Very nicely done.

First off thank you, im glad you like it. The zaskar is stripped down now, because Im planning on rebuilding it more original with more attention to detail

One thing i learned is that finding forks that suit this bike is difficult, because the geometry is very old school and the ride with anything but 90s era/ low axle to crown length forks is badly affected. So avoid fitting any modern fork. The only retro suspension fork i would recommend though is the rockshox mag 21, for an early oil fork they were brilliant. where as every elastomer fork from the same period ive tried, was terrible

Ive since bought an original gt bologna lite rigid fork which fits and rides perfectly, and wish id found one of these forks sooner.

Sean

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 17:22 Quote
Wow! Aqua! Beautiful!

I bought the ball burnished one new in 95. Keep returning to it, the finest frame I’ve ever ridden. About to do a tear down and service to parade it around like a classic muscle car. The bike is so comfortable, the fit is so great, I rode it on a coast to coast tour across the US. With those riser bars - they’re perfect for this bike. (Or maybe my aging back? LOL)

Great post, except now I need to find an an aqua frame...

Part of what makes this a superior beast in my area ( SE Louisiana, mud, river sand, alligators) is that big chunk of metal welded between the seatstays. Don’t understand why it isn’t seen more. The back is so laterally stiff in sketchy dirt it just drifts on stuff like sand and keeps going. Absolutely amazing. Suspect this is the BMX heritage making a superior dirt monster.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 15:13 Quote
That chrome one is so sick

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 23:44 Quote
I’ve also got a spare ball burnished frame so sometimes I swap the red one into a silver one for a bit

photo

Posted: Jun 6, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
I have the Same Frame! And looking for a GT Zaskar Rigid Fork, 1 1/8” threadless anyone have any leads on one? With the GT bologna slice caps at the drop out?

Posted: Jun 6, 2019 at 13:26 Quote
I’ve got a couple of sets for sale

1 set is the cheaper Bologna cut single butted versions. Average condition but purple in colour so probably would need painting.

I’ve also got a lovely set of Bologna lite triple butted versions in black. These are almost mint.

Let me know if either is of interest. Both are on eBay currently under the same username.

Posted: Jun 6, 2019 at 13:47 Quote
I’m interested
I searched EBay nothing showed up
Got a link to the sale?

Posted: Jun 6, 2019 at 13:57 Quote
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-Bologna-Cut-Forks-1-18-purple-single-butted-retro/173918497807?hash=item287e59ac0f:g:pN4AAOSw9J5c7~sx

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-Bologna-Lite-Triple-butted-black-Forks-1-1-8-retro-zaskar-/173918501496?nav=SEARCH

Posted: Jun 6, 2019 at 14:07 Quote
Says you won’t ship to USA mate

Posted: Jun 6, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
I didn’t realise you were USA. I might be tempted to ship to you but I’d need to get a price which I expect wouldn’t be cheap

Posted: Jun 6, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
I messaged you on Ebay

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029057
Mobile Version of Website