Powered by Outside

The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 13:55 Quote
I was wondering if it is infact a slash and what the shock was so I can see about fitment.
Obviously it may be different as us mortals dont have access to custom made springs, shocks etc but just as an idea really, an Ohlins would be amazing !

I think I've settled on a BOS VOID. From the information i've found it appears that it will fit with an offset top bushing.
A cane Creek DB air is slightly too large by a mm or two I think. Too close for me to pull the trigger on one just to see. The same with most of the coil shocks i've managed to get dimentions for too.

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 13:59 Quote
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:
I was wondering if it is infact a slash and what the shock was so I can see about fitment.
Obviously it may be different as us mortals dont have access to custom made springs, shocks etc but just as an idea really, an Ohlins would be amazing !

I think I've settled on a BOS VOID. From the information i've found it appears that it will fit with an offset top bushing.
A cane Creek DB air is slightly too large by a mm or two I think. Too close for me to pull the trigger on one just to see. The same with most of the coil shocks i've managed to get dimentions for too.

you need to consider clearance of the seat tube. its easy to ajust i2i lengths, but its harder to bend a shock around your seat tube tumor

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 14:06 Quote
TFreeman wrote:
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:

you need to consider clearance of the seat tube. its easy to ajust i2i lengths, but its harder to bend a shock around your seat tube tumor

Thats every problem so far. if only we could get custom made shocks too.
The VOID looks like a go'er at the moment. Gonna try to get my hands on one to offer up before biting the bullet.

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 14:14 Quote
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:
TFreeman wrote:
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:

The VOID looks like a go'er at the moment. Gonna try to get my hands on one to offer up before biting the bullet.

I find that it doesn't matter if the shock is too long or short if it can't actually fit on your frame.
The vivid or void seem to be the only DH options I can see working.

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 23:50 Quote
He says he doesn't know exactly, He thinks a little custom work was needed. So his mechanic must have installed it for him.

It is a slash however

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 7:14 Quote
billymtb wrote:
He says he doesn't know exactly, He thinks a little custom work was needed. So his mechanic must have installed it for him.

It is a slash however

Well at least we know it is a Slash and a coil will go onto it. I'm sure it was just shortened to 210 but also a skinny spring maybe....

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 7:21 Quote
TFreeman wrote:
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:
TFreeman wrote:

I find that it doesn't matter if the shock is too long or short if it can't actually fit on your frame.

Well i measured the Air can on the Monarch, the OD of that is 52mm and theres around 3mm clearance against the seat post. I didn't measure the clearance but a bit of a guess from the picture I took.

Suppose 3mm is the clearance. You could get away with anything up to a 56mm OD and still have 1mm clearance.
That being the case a coil isn't out of the question...as the picture above shows. I've sent out some emails asking for the OD of a 400lb spring on a DB Coil. I'll try to find out about the Ohlins size too.

Have you looked at the new Fox Float X2 yet. That looks the business and has similar damping to the DB and ohlins.
The air can is stepped too so should also go in.

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 9:52 Quote
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:
TFreeman wrote:
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:

Well i measured the Air can on the Monarch, the OD of that is 52mm and theres around 3mm clearance against the seat post. I didn't measure the clearance but a bit of a guess from the picture I took.

Suppose 3mm is the clearance. You could get away with anything up to a 56mm OD and still have 1mm clearance.
That being the case a coil isn't out of the question...as the picture above shows. I've sent out some emails asking for the OD of a 400lb spring on a DB Coil. I'll try to find out about the Ohlins size too.

Have you looked at the new Fox Float X2 yet. That looks the business and has similar damping to the DB and ohlins.

That's what I've wanted is the physical dimensions and diameters if the shocks.

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 at 2:30 Quote
TFreeman wrote:
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:
TFreeman wrote:

That's what I've wanted is the physical dimensions and diameters if the shocks.

Spoke to a very helpful guy at TF Tuned here in the uk this morning.

A Cane Creek DB Cool should fit !
The OD of a 500lb Spring is 54.6. Even a 650 is only 55.6 which might be getting a bit tight but not beyond possible..

Assuming an 80kg rider using a 400lb/450lb Spring it'll work in theory!

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 at 22:38 Quote
this is all the space i have between my shock and my seat tube

how is a vivid going to fit in here???

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 at 14:43 Quote
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:
I finally committed myself to a Fox Float X2 and kept my fingers crossed

Still deep into prototype territory I've made an offset top mount for it and managed what I wasn't certain was possible and squeezed it into the Slash !!!Pimp

I think you'll agree it looks great in there.
Feels very good, just gotta test my bracket now and hope she doesn't fail on me.

Excuse the crap pics, I'll post better ones later
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac207/christurner511/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgbsleyhm.jpeg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac207/christurner511/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshtcbuyyk.jpeg

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 at 14:48 Quote
TFreeman wrote:
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:

Still deep into prototype territory I've made an offset top mount for it and managed what I wasn't certain was possible and squeezed it into the Slash !!!Pimp

Feels very good, just gotta test my bracket now and hope she doesn't fail on me.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac207/christurner511/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgbsleyhm.jpeg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac207/christurner511/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshtcbuyyk.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that I could get a coil in there with the same solution too

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 at 14:49 Quote
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:
TFreeman wrote:
Chr1sTurn3r wrote:

I'm pretty sure that I could get a coil in there with the same solution too

i'm good with just air.

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2015 at 16:05 Quote
Any 21.5 riders on here that can chime in on an issue?

I am 6'3" 185lbs.

I ordered a 2016 Slash 8. Just went to the shop to check it out. When sitting in the saddle with the KS at full extension I can not touch both feet to the ground. I can get contact with one (tip toe). The seat post is pushed down in the frame all the way to the collar of the KS so I have nothing more to go there.

While riding, everything feels pretty good. not stretching with arms or reaching on pedal rotations.

It just so happens that the frame arrived with a paint blemish and so they are going to warranty it for me if i decide to go that route. So this would be the time for me to tell them I also need it in a 19.5 if I want. Just wondering if anyone else that rides 21.5 is around my height and can weigh in here. I did a lot of research prior and based on that and the fact that I have other Trek bikes in 21.5 I made the best decision I could.

Help would be appreciated!!

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 at 16:08 Quote
I have never had an actual bike with set up proper leg extension that I could touch the ground with seated. I have sold a ton of bikes in my life. You are a 21" frame all day every day unless you have t-rex arms.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.037477
Mobile Version of Website