Powered by Outside

Whats with Troy Lee helmets?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Whats with Troy Lee helmets?
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:01 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
i bought a bell bellistic and it broke on my 3rd time at whistler, i did a bit of a face plant in the boneyard. waste of $80
now i need a new one, one thats strong, i really want to but a tld and i do have more than enough money (being half chinese is awesome, chinese new year is way better than birthdays)
but im really cheap. the ones im thinkin about are the remedy, THE ONE, and d2
personally i would buy THE ONE but i cant find them in vancouver. so its between the remedy and d2. any hlp plz, and no comments for tld haters who never even tried one on.

D2, far comfier than anything; and it wont make your head look fat like a remedy.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:07 Quote
crashin wrote:
mr-eric wrote:
i bought a bell bellistic and it broke on my 3rd time at whistler, i did a bit of a face plant in the boneyard. waste of $80
now i need a new one, one thats strong, i really want to but a tld and i do have more than enough money (being half chinese is awesome, chinese new year is way better than birthdays)
personally i would buy THE ONE but i cant find them in vancouver. so its between the remedy and d2. any hlp plz, and no comments for tld haters who never even tried one on.

D2, far comfier than anything; and it wont make your head look fat like a remedy.
cool, but is that worth the extra $200-300?

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:14 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
crashin wrote:
mr-eric wrote:

Depends, if you have the cash I would say go for it. If you dont, get a remedy.

But Troy Lees are the best I have ever used, and I will never get another brand again.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:18 Quote
crashin wrote:
mr-eric wrote:
crashin wrote:

Depends, if you have the cash I would say go for it. If you dont, get a remedy.

But Troy Lees are the best I have ever used, and I will never get another brand again.
ok, this convinces me to get a tld, i got enough $, just like a said, im REALLY CHEAP, but if its worth it i'll go for it, it better last me alot longer than my f*ckin bellistic

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:19 Quote
K imma be a bit of a thread jacker, does anybody know anything at all about the POC helmets?
And also TLD's are really nice, their Paint is sic. I have to agree that they will not really protect your head any better than anything else. They all have to live up to certain standards. Also, kinda related, buying a Moto-X helmet isn't going to make you safer, it is designed to crumple under higher loads, to high for MTB for the most part. Anywho TLD's are sweet, ive never put one on, and quite honestly i dont want to. They are to mainstream, everyone has one, thats the one thing that puts me off. just my 2 cents
EDIT: If your crash was harsh enough to break your bellistic, its probably going to break your TLD, they live up to the same standards. Like i said, stronger isnt always better would u rather replace an $80 helmet or be out of riding with a concussion because your helmet was to strong. Companies make their helmets strong, but not so strong that they dont break when needed.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:22 Quote
Troy lees are the best, there the best shape and are super comfy, definatly worth the money if you have it

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:26 Quote
nishnash wrote:
K imma be a bit of a thread jacker, does anybody know anything at all about the POC helmets?
And also TLD's are really nice, their Paint is sic. I have to agree that they will not really protect your head any better than anything else. They all have to live up to certain standards. Also, kinda related, buying a Moto-X helmet isn't going to make you safer, it is designed to crumple under higher loads, to high for MTB for the most part. Anywho TLD's are sweet, ive never put one on, and quite honestly i dont want to. They are to mainstream, everyone has one, thats the one thing that puts me off. just my 2 cents
EDIT: If your crash was harsh enough to break your bellistic, its probably going to break your TLD, they live up to the same standards. Like i said, stronger isnt always better would u rather replace an $80 helmet or be out of riding with a concussion because your helmet was to strong. Companies make their helmets strong, but not so strong that they dont break when needed.
the thing is, is that i didnt crash hard though, all that happend was the i kinda slid out on some lose dirt, i was wearing a t-shirt and shorts with shinpads and i didnt geet hurt at all, but some how my helmet broke at the part where the face Part conects to the actual helmet, compleatly broke off. like i said, it wasnt that hard of a crash

Mod
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:32 Quote
A lot of my friends who initially started using TLD helmets years ago sort of migrate between brands and don't look back on it at all. They change it up and try something new over the seasons due to cracked helmets or just retiring them after a season. They have used everything from Giro Remedy/Remedy CF, THE One, and the TLD D2 and change it up every now and again. Like I said, they don’t look back at all. Get a helmet that fits well and feels good. Looks won’t save your head...

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:32 Quote
ah kk thats weird, never heard of that before, i think its not a one-piece design. Anywho a TLD isnt your only option, but a good one. Dont get Bell! Smile

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:33 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
A lot of my friends who initially started using TLD helmets years ago sort of migrate between brands and don't look back on it at all. They change it up and try something new over the seasons due to cracked helmets or just retiring them after a season. They have used everything from Giro Remedy/Remedy CF, THE One, and the TLD D2 and change it up every now and again. Like I said, they don’t look back at all. Get a helmet that fits well and feels good. Looks won’t save your head...
So true

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:37 Quote
ajaxpowder wrote:
sykesy wrote:
personally i love to just throw a load of stickers on my lid and not worry about scratching my helmet, so long as it's reasonably light and has passed the required safety tests it'll be fine, here's mine, £45 in the sale nearly 3 years ago now and still going strong.(excuse the hair!)
photo

IMO anybody under 18 with a tld helmet may as well have a big 'rich kid here' sign on their head, they are just shiney fashion statements
acctually i can get troy lees for free cuz my 14 year old cousin is sponsered by them for mx racing
Whoa thats awesome, im pretty sure this isnt the "what stuff do i get for free thread" so im pretty sure no one cares...back on topic tld helmets are sick looking and light as hell but i could honestly never justify spending 200 dollars on a helmet when my 40$ one works fine.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:39 Quote
sykesy wrote:
IMO anybody under 18 with a tld helmet may as well have a big 'rich kid here' sign on their head, they are just shiney fashion statements

What's wrong with being rich... or having wealthy parents?

I don't see the correlation of being able to afford the more expensive items to a person's desire for a comfortable helmet? If TLD's fit well, offer adequate protection and you, or your parents are willing and able to pay for them, it's a no brainer. I highly doubt there are many kids out there who get headaches from wearing an ill-fitting TLD, but suffer through it because of some fashion trend.

This whole concept makes you sound bitter... and retarded.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:43 Quote
Onespeed38 wrote:
sykesy wrote:

What's wrong with being rich... or having wealthy parents?

I don't see the correlation of being able to afford the more expensive items to a person's desire for a comfortable helmet? If TLD's fit well, offer adequate protection and you, or your parents are willing and able to pay for them, it's a no brainer. I highly doubt there are many kids out there who get headaches from wearing an ill-fitting TLD, but suffer through it because of some fashion trend.

This whole concept makes you sound bitter... and retarded.
There is nothing wrong with having " rich " parents, i would love to have rich parents but nowdays on pinkbike if your parents bought you a bike thats over 200 dollars your a spoiled brat who cant ride. Its annoying seeing comments saying that mommy and daddy bought that for you, who cares. If your parents make good money thats good for them, theres no reason you should be getting flamed because your parents support and can afford things you want.

Mod
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 18:54 Quote
Here is something that might help you make up your mind as to what you are looking for. Use it as a reference to narrow it down and then go to a shop(s) and try them on and pick the best one for you and your budget.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 19:01 Quote
Bomber-Man-8825 wrote:
Troy lees are the best, there the best shape and are super comfy, definatly worth the money if you have it

fact

not to mention the fact that they are very strong for how light weight they are

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.549408
Mobile Version of Website