Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Thread of political debate and discussion

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Thread of political debate and discussion
Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 14:10 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:

That video isn't the whole story. What happened before the filming began, huh?

Yes, I do agree with him. While some officers may be corrupt, it is not a widespread issue, as you love to believe.

was he late with the monthly payoff?

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 14:22 Quote
they should arm traffic cops in the UK too, frankly I am sick of people with badly adjusted headlights.

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 14:23 Quote
I DID watch the video. Dashcam shows that he got pulled over for a broken taillight, then ran. The citizen filming is blurry and doesn't show shit, except the guy running starting to run again, and then getting shot. The point of my question was, the video doesn't show the whole picture. It doesn't show what may have happened to cause the officer to fear for his life.

Cop watching is a waste of time for the 0.0001% of times that someone makes a mistake. Just like gun control, a solution of absolutes for the 0.0001% of gun owners who do wrong.

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 14:25 Quote
yeah if you run you should get shot at, especially if you do it on bike trails with headphones

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 14:28 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
The point of my question was, the video doesn't show the whole picture. It doesn't show what may have happened to cause the officer to fear for his life.

e.g. eating too many doughnuts can cause you to have a heart attack if you have to run really fast.

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 14:34 Quote
was definitely a mistake, they should have chucked him in a meatwagon and given him a good kicking in private.

or at least made sure there were no witnesses recording them. very amatuer.

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 14:55 Quote
What evidence do you have about him lying about the Walter taking the taser? Based on the citizen who was filmings' testimony? Stress causes memory impairment, and the filmer may have been highly suggestable afterwards in regards to what he believes it is that he saw. He was in contact with a BLM member afterwards, who may have helped given him a memory he literally didn't even have.

As far as a scenario in which the officer was justified, say Walter was running to grab a weapon, hidden in his car or elsewhere. Walter may have seen a rock or a branch to use as a bludgeon or baton against the officer and was running towards it.

I understand what you're saying, but it is like gun control, in that it's an absolute solution to a miniscule problem that is blown up by mainstream media with ulterior motives. 'Oh, so because of the actions of less than a dozen, let us constantly monitor the entirety of 765,000 officers.'

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 15:29 Quote
Sure, but the cost of constantly monitoring 765,000 officers would be astronomical, and the task itself insurmountable. All to prevent a miniscule percentage of illegal and unjust actions. Your views on this are idealistic, with 0 regard to practicality.

"You've watched the video. At no stage does Scott have the taser. There is no evidence that he poses a significant danger to the officer." The video basically starts with Walter running. He may have made an attempt at taking it. There is no evidence otherwise; the first 16 seconds are unfocused and did not show what happened.

"The video was subsequently shared with Scott's family through an activist of Black Lives Matter, and later with the news media." I may have extropolated that with my assumption of the cameraman being in personal contact with a member of BLM. My mistake, however, assumptions are something that you are likely intimately familiar with.

I can acknowledge that the officer may have been unjust in shooting Walter in the back as he fled. However, I am not seeking a specific motivation behind his action, and as such, I have no reason to believe that it was racially.motivated. I also believe that this is a relatively isolated incident, and is so far blown up by the media, by BLM, and by liberals who scream of inequity, that it is merely a tool of propaganda now.

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 15:31 Quote
"There is no point in indulging in an infinite number of unknowable scenarios."

Then why do you insist that Walter never fought for control of the taser? There is no evidence supporting that theory of yours.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032215
Mobile Version of Website