Powered by Outside

Why make a mountain bike brakeless??

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Why make a mountain bike brakeless??
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 23:06 Quote
norcoman-1314 wrote:
sltmafia88 wrote:
Why do people think that you should only be able to run no brakes if you have a bmx? to me that is just a stupid statement, the reason to run no breaks is to increase you skill, lose weight, and make it easier to do certain tricks and add difficulty to others. So just get over it, it is a personal preference if you don't want brakes or you do, so just get over it and go ride.

its easier to control a brakesless bmx then it is a brakeless mtb because of its size...

The difference in control between a bmx and mountain bike makes no difference whether you run brakes or not... simply put a bmx will be easier to control. Your statement does not help to prove your argument. Should we all just stop mountain biking because they are harder to control than a bmx?

Sltmafia88 said it right... Its all about personal preference!

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 3:23 Quote
Valiant wrote:
norcoman-1314 wrote:
sltmafia88 wrote:
Why do people think that you should only be able to run no brakes if you have a bmx? to me that is just a stupid statement, the reason to run no breaks is to increase you skill, lose weight, and make it easier to do certain tricks and add difficulty to others. So just get over it, it is a personal preference if you don't want brakes or you do, so just get over it and go ride.

its easier to control a brakesless bmx then it is a brakeless mtb because of its size...

The difference in control between a bmx and mountain bike makes no difference whether you run brakes or not... simply put a bmx will be easier to control. Your statement does not help to prove your argument. Should we all just stop mountain biking because they are harder to control than a bmx?

ughhh ya, a bmx is easier to stop because its easier to jump off of and to stop your feet because of the lower toptubes...

you forgot to add on "while brakeless" at the end of that...

im not sure what your point is....

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 7:43 Quote
norcoman-1314 wrote:
Valiant wrote:
norcoman-1314 wrote:

ughhh ya, a bmx is easier to stop because its easier to jump off of and to stop your feet because of the lower toptubes...

you forgot to add on "while brakeless" at the end of that...

im not sure what your point is....

I did not forget to put anything. All I'm saying is that while comparing a bmx and a mountain bike, a bmx is always going to be easier to control when both are either running brakes or not. It seemed as though you were arguing against brakeless for mountain bikes and your statement made sense, but it also makes sense that a bmx will be easier to control when they both run brakes as well. My point is that you shouldn't base your decision to go brakeless on a mountain bike on the fact that a bmx is always going to be easier to control.

Sorry norcoman-1314 if I blew this way out of proportion, I just wanted people to know that a bmx will be easier to control than a mountain bike so it shouldn't effect their decision to run brakeless on a mountain bike. Decide for yourselves.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 12:06 Quote
well which is worse having less control with brakes or without?...brakes pretty much make up for the lack of control/skill that a mtb has, i know a people ride their mtbs brakeless and such but the ones who do so have good skills and are "talented"...i donno i think i stated earlier in the thread it was personal preference...

O+
Posted: May 17, 2008 at 20:29 Quote
frankiev wrote:
i have no brakes because my hub wont allow a disk to be mounted and I am too cheap to get a new hub. If you know how to ride you dont really need brakes. Unless your doing dh of course.

frankie obv needs brakes because he has no idea what hes doing when he gets on a bike right and doesnt know how to ride..jokes frank is the man

Posted: May 17, 2008 at 21:40 Quote
I was a mountain biker from '95-2000. I rode street/dirt and was heavily influenced by BMX videos and the movie Hammertime. I started riding brakeless in '98 after seeing Troy McMurray and Mark Gonzales do it in Ride Magazine. I realized it was a great feeling. For me it makes manualing smoother once you get the feel worked out. It also gave me a more symmetrical feel... before taking brakes off I rode with 2 fingers on my rear brake lever which took away from my lifting/landing strength. When I quit mountain bikes and switched to BMX in 2000 I rode brakeless right away. It's since become normal for me and feels best. Now that I'm getting back into mountain biking (downhill) I obviously use brakes. But for street and dirt, riding without brakes makes things very pure.

Posted: May 17, 2008 at 21:53 Quote
has anyone tried it or are they just saying? if you get used to your hubs, you know how long your gonna coast and what not and its awsome.

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 5:16 Quote
dynamic wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
I ride a brakeless BMX. On a MTB it's dumb.

Why does wheel size make a difference?

i have to agree with the wheel size comment.

im sick of ppl posting the question WHY BRAKELESS?
why do ppl run ss, why chop bars down, why not use a star nut?

if u stopped for a second and had a good look into your brain, the little compartment that holds all your common sense would be holding the answer for you, everyone is different and what works for them is what they'll do.

i've got no doubt there is something you do in your daily life that other people don't do, and i dare say you'd do that cos it works for you/its just the way you do stuff

WAF!

*poor spelling and grammar i know, and dont careReally Mad

i should also state that i rode bmx with no brakes for bout a year or so and i went back to brakes

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 5:39 Quote
why isn't this thread closed already?...

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 6:19 Quote
norcoman-1314 wrote:
why isn't this thread closed already?...

2nd this, close it down!

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 17:28 Quote
it helps you do stuff you might not with brakes

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 17:31 Quote
co303shred wrote:

Huge thread dig.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 17:32 Quote
sherbet wrote:
co303shred wrote:

Huge thread dig.

what?

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 17:32 Quote
co303shred wrote:
sherbet wrote:
co303shred wrote:

Huge thread dig.

what?

You dug up a dead thread.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 17:34 Quote
ok is that like not allowed or something lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032743
Mobile Version of Website