Powered by Outside

Pinkbike's Official *!Street Tuner!* Thread

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Pinkbike's Official *!Street Tuner!* Thread
Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 16:19 Quote
CrankShaftYQX wrote:
Quik5ilver wrote:
CrankShaftYQX wrote:
Fixed your code. And yes, it is a nice car. Do you have any idea what a VR6 engine is?
I highly doubt that. He seems to only be into japanese tuners not euro tuners.

I think that's less of a function of his car preference than his complete lack of technical knowledge relating to cars.

Also, that Golf probably flies.

I know quite a bit about cars, I also know that I dont like that one. Saying I dont like it because I dont know about it is like me saying you dont like a fat chick because u havent gotten to know her. VR6, VR7 or VR200, wont make the car look any better.

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 16:44 Quote
Pyro011 wrote:
CrankShaftYQX wrote:
Quik5ilver wrote:

I highly doubt that. He seems to only be into japanese tuners not euro tuners.

I think that's less of a function of his car preference than his complete lack of technical knowledge relating to cars.

I know quite a bit about cars, I also know that I dont like that one. Saying I dont like it because I dont know about it is like me saying you dont like a fat chick because u havent gotten to know her. VR6, VR7 or VR200, wont make the car look any better.

I'm sure you do.

Where in Canada are you? I'm in Newfoundland, the location for the pinnacle of Canadian auto racing, at least in this century.

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 16:47 Quote
CrankShaftYQX wrote:
Where in Canada are you? I'm in Newfoundland, the location for the pinnacle of Canadian auto racing, at least in this century.
If you just clicked his username above his display picture you would find out.
It says he's in Edmonton, Alberta.

Posted: Jul 4, 2008 at 16:50 Quote
CrankShaftYQX wrote:
Pyro011 wrote:
CrankShaftYQX wrote:

I'm sure you do.

Im in edmonton, all the racin up here goes down in BC. There are so many different rally tracks down there they even host the canadian rally chapionships over there. thats pretty much all the racing that goes down up here.

Posted: Jul 5, 2008 at 11:17 Quote
ok. VQ engine research:

its true- bolt on upgrades may not add power, and may reduce it...

...if you dont do an ECU flash.

Which IMO is a bolt on upgrade. And I totally understand the confusion on it. The poor lil car computer cannot adapt to learn the flow of the new components. There are many vehicle computers that do.

in this case its recommended to do all your bolt ons, then get it flashed, and THEN see what sort of gains you get.

makes sense. so... I standy by that the VQ is easily tuned and effected by normal bolt-ons, including the ecu flash.

hell on a turbo'd car, an ECU flash alone can develop 40hp with everything else stock. And once you pop some free-er flowing exhaust and maybe a high flow intake... giddyup!

Posted: Jul 5, 2008 at 16:56 Quote
I had my ECU flashed for an APR stage 2 from a stage 1. Huuuuge difference, more boost, more torque, it drives amazing. Some day I will have my dream setup, GT28r turbo with APR stage 3...my little K04 just isn't enough! It's quite amazing what an ECU flash can do to a stock engine, expensive but worth it.

Posted: Jul 5, 2008 at 17:27 Quote
draco wrote:
ok. VQ engine research:

its true- bolt on upgrades may not add power, and may reduce it...

...if you dont do an ECU flash.

Which IMO is a bolt on upgrade. And I totally understand the confusion on it. The poor lil car computer cannot adapt to learn the flow of the new components. There are many vehicle computers that do.

in this case its recommended to do all your bolt ons, then get it flashed, and THEN see what sort of gains you get.

makes sense. so... I standy by that the VQ is easily tuned and effected by normal bolt-ons, including the ecu flash.

hell on a turbo'd car, an ECU flash alone can develop 40hp with everything else stock. And once you pop some free-er flowing exhaust and maybe a high flow intake... giddyup!
lol you really still want to argue about this?? you just said exactly what i have been saying all along, and the fact that you consider a ecu flash as a "bolt on" upgrade is heresay. How can you consider it easily tuned and effected, when there is cars out there, like you have shown us that can gain 20 hp just from an exaust system... I really dont care anymore I would rather just see some more pictures of nice tuners.

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 0:06 Quote
its not heresay. its less work to flash a chip than it is to do ANY of the mods you or I discussed. I consider the ECU flash to be like, step one for a situation like that.

My original point was that items like exhaust and intake, done aftermarket, are always going to increase performance.

the fact that the cars stock software prevents that just means its the first step in doing simple power add-ons.

(in fact it is almost sad that the computer can't adapt or learn.. but hey)

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 16:27 Quote
draco wrote:
its not heresay. its less work to flash a chip than it is to do ANY of the mods you or I discussed. I consider the ECU flash to be like, step one for a situation like that.

My original point was that items like exhaust and intake, done aftermarket, are always going to increase performance.

the fact that the cars stock software prevents that just means its the first step in doing simple power add-ons.

(in fact it is almost sad that the computer can't adapt or learn.. but hey)
while it may be less work, many people can add a cold air intake,header, or even an exaust system on there car at home (assuming its pre bent etc). I dunno about you, but i dont know anyone who can reflash there ecu in there garage.

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
ECU flash is still quick and easy, maybe even quicker than installing a cold air intake at home. And by that I mean going to the shop, getting the flash done, then going home. All you have to do is take your car to the shop, they download the software onto the ECU and it's done in about 30 mins. No tools required. You can even drop by a shop and ask them if you can try an ECU flash as they have demo versions. You can try an ECU flash for free for usually about 6 hours of ignition time.

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 19:22 Quote
CrankShaftYQX wrote:
Pyro011 wrote:
Whats a VR6 engine?

I'll retract my "complete lack of knowledge" remark since you're at least willing to ask...

It's VW's 6 cylinder motor. 200 horsepower or so. I don't think it's a traditional layout and I'm not sure what layout it is, but it is a six-cylinder that was in the Scirocco.

vr6 engines first came in the '93 corrado, replacing the g60 that was in the 91,92 corrado. that was a 1.8 inline 4 with a garrett supercharger. back then the vr6 had about 165-170hp. later vr6 engines in the mk3 jetta, golf, passat and then the mkiv got up to closer to 200 hp. i've read articles of people tuning them over 600hp.
cheers

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 20:50 Quote
3kman wrote:
CrankShaftYQX wrote:
Pyro011 wrote:
Whats a VR6 engine?

I'll retract my "complete lack of knowledge" remark since you're at least willing to ask...

It's VW's 6 cylinder motor. 200 horsepower or so. I don't think it's a traditional layout and I'm not sure what layout it is, but it is a six-cylinder that was in the Scirocco.

vr6 engines first came in the '93 corrado, replacing the g60 that was in the 91,92 corrado. that was a 1.8 inline 4 with a garrett supercharger. back then the vr6 had about 165-170hp. later vr6 engines in the mk3 jetta, golf, passat and then the mkiv got up to closer to 200 hp. i've read articles of people tuning them over 600hp.
cheers

Close but incorrect. The Vr6 was introduced in an OBD1 version. Then OBD2 was introduced in 96. I'm not familiar with the differences. Both are 12v and produce 176hp. I think in 02 the VR6 was available in a 24v 6 speed in the jetta GLI producing just over 200hp. Very limited number of these cars were produced, it's hard to find one.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 22:03 Quote
photo

one sick audi
photo

my dads old 2001 s4 dont have it anymore but it was a fun car, hes planning on getting the rs6 or the s5, not sure yet, ill post a pic if it happens, right now he has a toyota land cruiser and a 1997 porshe c4s (last of the air cooled) that thing can rip, and the awd sticks like glue

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 22:11 Quote
[YT=https://youtube.com/watch?v=rnYD5eASPPI&feature=related]

my fav, watch it all, (begining is interesting but slow but its well worth it)

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 17:00 Quote
got to be the best so far

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.164404
Mobile Version of Website