Freeride Hardtailing

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Freeride Hardtailing
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:52 Quote
I've been on dual sus's for basically the entire time I've done freeride. Only ridden AM trails on a HT before that. Then I sold my Reign X a while ago as it was too short and have been riding my 07 P2 for freeride since and I freakin' love it. It's actually really sick, you take half the speed in and twice the speed out. I think I'm probably going to get a short travel bike though, as I'll be up at Whistler in the summer and don't want to get beat to shit on the brake bumps and rough.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 10:01 Quote
its awesome just remember the faster you go the smoother it is

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
braking ruts suck on a hardtail the only thing i learned besides how much scarier it is is that when the braking ruts all of a sudden disapear usually means the your going the wrong way

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 11:21 Quote
lol Beer thats so true. i love freeriding on hardtails its more of a challenge

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
do you know if a 180mm fork is too much for a freeride hardtail (norco torrent 2006)

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 14:51 Quote
ld you swtich my frame to a ns surge o a dmr exalt?? or similar

<Photo does not exist: 2165541>

im not sure if i want a new shock or a new framelol

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 19:51 Quote
im jus wonderin what forks would work best on my hardtail its a norco manik right now im riding drop offs

Mod
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 20:09 Quote
fox 36 talas is a great fork for this application, if ya can find one used at a good price it would be the only option imo - though lots of people will argue in favor of Pikes.

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 15:06 Quote
t3rr1 wrote:
fox 36 talas is a great fork for this application, if ya can find one used at a good price it would be the only option imo - though lots of people will argue in favor of Pikes.
I second the 36 talas recommendation. Having the option of switching from 100-130-160 is great if you occasionally go up hills or want a lower front end for DJ/park. And if you ask me, 160mm is the most you will ever need for any hardtail. More travel and you will upset the geometry of the bike which makes for poor turning quality. It will also make the bike front heavy.

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 15:08 Quote
AmirB wrote:
jackbrowc wrote:
terriflow3-0 wrote:

so many people put big forks on Konas. My friend ran a 7 inch 888, and I've seen lots of other konas ht's with huge forks. Apparently they can handle them pretty well.

photo

this bike is like 10 years old

And it's Aluminum, which looses its structural integrity over time.

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 15:24 Quote
I have one big thing to add. You need to take into consideration what kind of trails you are riding. Rock gardens and other rocky torn up type trails can be murder on a HT. I have a Norco Rampage and after doing my research decided that it would be a great all around ripper. It is great on some of my local trails, the ones that are a little smoother single track. But on the ones that are full of long rock gardens I get fatigued and much quicker then on a a full suspension. Most of the ripping I sea done one hardtails is in areas that a wetter and smoother then Southern California. Consider that when getting freeride hardtail. On another note I love my bike and really enjoy how easy it is to throw around on the trial. And it will make you faster. you learn to pick lines a little better as you don't have the rear to help you just plow things.

Posted: Aug 27, 2010 at 9:53 Quote
My friend would like a freeride hardtail complete for around £700 ? he would like to get the Giant STP but can recomend any other completes ?

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 at 18:57 Quote
U have actually found that recently , they have made lower quality bikes . I know that Kona had\s for sure . I was looking at the '10 and '11 Cowan compared to mine and , mine is better and has better parts . so I would suggest an '07 Cowan or a Rocky Mountain . They have been keeping up the good stuff .

Posted: Aug 30, 2010 at 1:37 Quote
TommyT712 wrote:
My friend would like a freeride hardtail complete for around £700 ? he would like to get the Giant STP but can recomend any other completes ?

buy used. look around for morphines and imperials.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033055
Mobile Version of Website