Powered by Outside

Front end cracking noise

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Front end cracking noise
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 11:44 Quote
mattyb94 wrote:
Ok, so I waited 3 weeks without my bike to get the front axel replaced and my bike is stilling making the stupid cracking sound. Taking my bike to the shop again on Saturday and will probably end up with another long stint without my bike.

It is possible that someone at the shop or the factory put a crown race from the wrong headset on? Some look sooooo damn similar that it's an easy but unforgivable mistake... Smile

A.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 12:47 Quote
hah aya i got a new fork and it fixed it for like 4 hard rides down silverstarnow its back and im gonna get it warrented
DARKSTAR63 wrote:
Its not a crack, its most likely the crown making noise, it needs to be replaced. I have been riding mine this way for months, it will not fail, but its very annoying.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 13:29 Quote
freeride-idiot wrote:
i hate my bike making any sort of noise wat so ever well apart from the squelsh my suspension makes
its just a case of simple process elimination every part off one by one greased and re fitted id do EVERY part of your front end chances if one part is "dry" more will be too

as mentiond previous id check for cracks too just to be safe

i must say im quite suprised by by how many people get all there spannering done by there lbs do it yourselves its funn and just think about how many pimp shiney bits you could buy with the money you save!!

I was getting the same creaking noise from the front-end of my bike. Finally found that is was due to a crack just below the arch on my 2008 Marzocchi 55 TST2. Couldn't initially see it due the paint not cracking!

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 13:39 Quote
Havent read all the thread, I had the same problem, call marzocchi Canada at : 1-604-986-3675. Call at around 4h00 pm, they always pick up the phone at that time. Explain to the guy that you'd like to return your fork for them to look at it, tell him whats wrong, he'll give you have number (tracking number) and he'll explain what to do. I sent mine last week from Ottawa, and its at the marzocchi place in Vancouver right now. He said 3-7 days for it to get repaired and 3 days of shipping to get it back. Good luck.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 14:19 Quote
Well i get a cracking noise from my head tube area when i land drops, or bump my front tire straight into a wall.And i have a headlock as oppose to a star-nut so i was thinking that might be the problem.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 19:53 Quote
clanmember32 wrote:
Well i get a cracking noise from my head tube area when i land drops, or bump my front tire straight into a wall.And i have a headlock as oppose to a star-nut so i was thinking that might be the problem.

I have the same problem, when I land kinda nose heavy or there's impact to the front of the tire, it makes a loud crack/snap sound. Anybody have a clue what the problem is?

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 2:56 Quote
Edtung wrote:
clanmember32 wrote:

I have the same problem, when I land kinda nose heavy or there's impact to the front of the tire, it makes a loud crack/snap sound. Anybody have a clue what the problem is?

Havent read all the thread, I had the same problem, call marzocchi Canada at : 1-604-986-3675. Call at around 4h00 pm, they always pick up the phone at that time. Explain to the guy that you'd like to return your fork for them to look at it, tell him whats wrong, he'll give you have number (tracking number) and he'll explain what to do. I sent mine last week from Ottawa, and its at the marzocchi place in Vancouver right now. He said 3-7 days for it to get repaired and 3 days of shipping to get it back. Good luck.

The noise is from the steertube and crown area. If you own a 66 or a 888, its manufacturers fault, its not well assembled or something went wrong.. you have to return it and it will be warranty'd (fix for free).

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 7:17 Quote
lucky-7 wrote:
Edtung wrote:
clanmember32 wrote:

The noise is from the steertube and crown area. If you own a 66 or a 888, its manufacturers fault, its not well assembled or something went wrong.. you have to return it and it will be warranty'd (fix for free).
I dont have a marzocchi...Confused

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 9:26 Quote
clanmember32 wrote:
lucky-7 wrote:
Edtung wrote:

I dont have a marzocchi...Confused

Oh.. well might want to do the same, except call your company.

Posted: Jan 29, 2010 at 15:41 Quote
I got the same problem now, except it's only when I apply high amounts of pressure. what should I do? I've tightened/checked all the bolts, taken of my wheel to check for anything unusual, so I've now concluded it's my forks. Should I just let this problem sit until it gets worse? Or is there somthing a bike shop/manufacturer could do for me?

Posted: Jan 29, 2010 at 16:02 Quote
hey...to the dude who started this thread.....wat headset u running. chris king?

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 at 8:05 Quote
i have the same problem but i recently got new forks and and a new frame , it sounds like its coming from the stem but i have no idea to be quite honest , all the bolts are tight , axel is tight , bucshing in the forks are fine and there are no cranks in the stearer tube , just chips, and it makes the noise when i pedal up hill and lift my bars up towards me Confused

anyone got an answer or could help with my problem , it happened on my old frame aswell too Confused
Salute

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 at 8:45 Quote
rock shox domain 2008

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2011 at 8:51 Quote
With any noise like that I usually start by taking the front end apart, meaning take the stem off, all the spacers, seperate the bar from the stem and clean all parts. Then reassemble lightly greasing the stem/steerer interface, and clean the bar and stem well. Also remove all the bolts from your stem and clean/grease those. Then adjust to spec and see if its gone. If its not, it may be elsewhere like in the suspension/pivots. I find alot of times that a creak or crack noise from one of the suspension bolts can actually travel through the top or down tube and resonate- so it sounds like the front of the bike when its not.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.180513
Mobile Version of Website