Demo 8 II or trek session 88

PB Forum :: Downhill
Demo 8 II or trek session 88
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 at 10:32 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
skinnyDH wrote:
everyone complains about the trek, they dont dent too easily, as with most things on pinkbike its exaggerated. And if you do manage to put a hole in it or snap it trek will send you a brand new one for free... and if you are not happy with the trek sell the brand new frame, i dont see what the problem is, and as for the "6 month then throw it out" they warranty it for 3 years and all the other bontrager parts have 5 years.

3 guys in town have serious damage to their sessions already and 1 has snapped... Also Trek does not cover any frame damages caused by dents. that is counted as normal wear and tear the session 88 this year is a joke they over hyped it and made it look really good but as you ride it it actualy feels like a pop can sooo flimsy they have the right idea but they have alot of bugs to work out next years maybe better but as for this years I wouldnt touch one with a 10ft pole.

Ryan

Posted: Sep 15, 2012 at 18:26 Quote
Well, I have A question(as many others)... I'm pretty sure to get the session, I just dont know which one, as there are three options(for roughly the same amount of money):
1. 2010 session 88-bought in 2011-the guy says that it was not used for racing, plus he has upgraded to saint group(brakes, derailleur, crank and hubs with mavic rims on)
2. the 'local' bike park is selling their bikes every year to make room for the new ones(they're also importers for trek), so I could get a 2012 Session 8
3. I wait for a used bike from some local racer, so we're talking about session 8 (probably with some upgrades), maybe 88(depending on the price)

(4. option: a demo 8 I or II -price factor- from a racer)
Which one do you think is the best option? How much did trek upgrade (mainly) the frame from 2010 to 2012? I know it doesn't have the integrated fork bumpers, it has a square bottom tube, no BB guard, and 10mm less of travel(? not sure which year they went to 210mm). Also, if getting the 2012 session is a better option, even with 2010 having better gear on(I've never had a 40rc2...did have boxxer wc though), which one do you think is in better shape(lets say that both frames don't have any visual flaws), the bike park one or the race one?
I have not ridden a demo yet, but i have tried the 2012 session 8 and it just felt right, and i knew how the bike will react the first time i rode it. So, yes I like it. But still...there is demo to consider(of course there are other bikes, but since I'm from Slovenia there is not so much diversity and not so many different used bikes.

Thanks for your help

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 0:34 Quote
Session models before 2011 had problems with snapping and denying, but for '11 they redesigned the front triangle. It's a lot tougher now, and the bike handles really well. They're both great bikes but I've got a session so we all know which one I'll support.

Don't get a glory. Just don't. The '13 model looks like something that'd be slack enough for racing, but previous models are way too steep

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 3:54 Quote
Well, I'd like to get the session, as I said, it seems to ride perfect for me, and I like how it looks. So, the 2010 frame is a no-go then? That's a shame, since it has very nice specs...
So which one to get then? Which has been less abused, the race one or bike park? In your opinion at least.

Posted: Sep 17, 2012 at 0:19 Quote
ribafish wrote:
Well, I'd like to get the session, as I said, it seems to ride perfect for me, and I like how it looks. So, the 2010 frame is a no-go then? That's a shame, since it has very nice specs...
So which one to get then? Which has been less abused, the race one or bike park? In your opinion at least.
Im not sure what you mean by bike park bike, since down here in Australia there are no bike parks. But if you mean its a rent bike or something like that then I wouldnt be too keen on it. People trash things they rent, nuff said. However, just inspect it and if its good, then theres no reason to be shy about it. Same goes for the race bike, yet a race bike is more likely to be kept in tip top condition by its owner. Thats just what I think.

Posted: Sep 17, 2012 at 1:54 Quote
Yes, I meant a rent bike(badly phrased) from a bike park. I know that people don't really treat rent things very nice(most of them anyway), but as far as I have seen, people who rent bikes here are mostly very bad riders and so they ride slowly and don't hit anything big. The one time I rode the rent a bike and tried the session 8, it looked like new with dirty grips(white ones so everything is seen) and tires.

You would rather get it from a racer than? I guess it will come down to price and what I get for it. Thanks

EDIT: I ended up going for the rent bike, as the price is 1900€ and i get the full 3 year warranty=)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019014
Mobile Version of Website