Powered by Outside

Anyone Else In The UK Looking For More?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Anyone Else In The UK Looking For More?
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:29 Quote
Muttley wrote:
well, i mean, your all ranting about not having trails, now the majority of you (there are excetions, i know) live in the midland and above, or wales, where there are actual hills, why dont you try getting up off your arses and ACTUALLY getting to know landowners, and work WITH them to get land.
i am 14 years old, as are my friends, and we have succesfuly campaigned with local councils and a realy great landowner and have secured a large area of land on the local hills( which, by the way are the south downs..), this land varies from a slight roll(perfect for jumps, there is about 2km quared of this land, to steep, for downhill tracks, we now have a fully running area with big jumps, northshore, and are working on several downhill courses.
we also put on a demo for the landowner to help them with an eco friendly programme, this helped raise awareness of us and what we do, and we are hoping host a small race for the demo this year.
this is what has been achieved by a bunch of 14 year olds, no help from parents, nothing, so go on, go out, because i garuntee if you give something, you WILL get something in return.

Pics?

FL
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:30 Quote
The forestry commisson are landowners and big ones at that. The main problem is that they are not anti mtb they are just covering there backs from any possible accidents/lawsuits that could occur on there land. Lets not forget that they have also provided an awful lot for mtb in the last 5 years. Glentress and innerliethen are great places to go ride for practically nothing. Only cost you the price of the car park.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:30 Quote
havnt got any recent ones, but ill stick some older ones up in a minute.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:32 Quote
yep for the last 2 years we've had trouble with some walkers / locals, we still have trouble with the jumps getting smashed but perseverance is working.

Now however we have a new problem sods on quads, the f***ers monster truck every thing last sunday they chased one of the dh'ers down to the jumps then shit himself when he rolled over the top of the hill and there was like 20 of us just waiting as he slid down towards us at the bottom on his quad. (meet my friend knuckles). they never came back.

i think ones of the local w***ers oops sorry i mean walkers arranged for it.

I'M NOT PARANOID

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:34 Quote
i used to like riding in my town,when it was to dark to hit the trails,but trials riders put a stop to that.

if you cant ride over something why smash into it,little fecks.

and like post above some arse comes up our local wood on a motorbike trials bike now.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:36 Quote
joe1984 wrote:
The forestry commisson are landowners and big ones at that. The main problem is that they are not anti mtb they are just covering there backs from any possible accidents/lawsuits that could occur on there land. Lets not forget that they have also provided an awful lot for mtb in the last 5 years. Glentress and innerliethen are great places to go ride for practically nothing. Only cost you the price of the car park.

Also the farmers union is one of the wealthiest around, don't get on the wrong side of them.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:39 Quote
Skittle- wrote:
Muttley wrote:
well, i mean, your all ranting about not having trails, now the majority of you (there are excetions, i know) live in the midland and above, or wales, where there are actual hills, why dont you try getting up off your arses and ACTUALLY getting to know landowners, and work WITH them to get land.
i am 14 years old, as are my friends, and we have succesfuly campaigned with local councils and a realy great landowner and have secured a large area of land on the local hills( which, by the way are the south downs..), this land varies from a slight roll(perfect for jumps, there is about 2km quared of this land, to steep, for downhill tracks, we now have a fully running area with big jumps, northshore, and are working on several downhill courses.
we also put on a demo for the landowner to help them with an eco friendly programme, this helped raise awareness of us and what we do, and we are hoping host a small race for the demo this year.
this is what has been achieved by a bunch of 14 year olds, no help from parents, nothing, so go on, go out, because i garuntee if you give something, you WILL get something in return.
Pics?

Yes pictures please, Perhaps you live in a friendly enviroment where your local council doesn't have to spend so much time following up crimes and only concentrating on lowering crime and increasing educational aspects. Thats all our local council does. Yes I have some hilly areas, However the only hilly area near me is actually the only one for a couple of miles around. Therefore ramblers will complain about the fact mountain bikers are there. The only non forestry commision land owners which are viable for a good ride are fields. You know what a field is like... Rather flat and boring and rather good for grazing. This means we could ride it maybe for 6 months then he would put his sheep in there.

Also we had some quad/moto problems with our local jumps considering they're WANK at riding them because they are stooping so low to ride mountain bike jumps. Jumps to steep or paths. The best I saw though was a motorbike on my local trail(forestry commision place) I had a chat with him and was like ride on... Mainly because it looked a hell of a lot of fun. A LOT more desctructive but wasnt destroying anything we or anyone had built.

Anyway its whether your local area is a friendly place to live. Mine mostly is except for like one or two hotspots and that is where nearly all the money gets spent, Many letters have been sent in by fellow riders and non have even received a reply or a confirmation in any shape of form. So I don't even think a bunch of people whatever age could help. However if i ran to be elected and said a rider in charge. Maybe local riders would vote for me... :p

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:43 Quote
Heres some pics, sorry about the pathetic quality but its on my phone.
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1689627/

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1689626/

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:44 Quote
ill get some pictures of the shore, and better ones of the other stuff this weekend

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:44 Quote
Muttley wrote:
Heres some pics, sorry about the pathetic quality but its on my phone.
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1689627/

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1689626/

Looks like a nice place to ride. I guess you have a nice council and generous local community lol. Was there originally a lot of walkers though ? Or was this really built from scratch ?

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:47 Quote
Gernerous community,, id put it more like community says its gonna be generous then does NOTHING, it took us a year of work to get this, and walkers are still an immense problem, we are currently looking into getting a grant from the council/youth organisation to pay for proper signs and tools to realy get the place kicking.last i found my neighbourts walking up a bleedin downhill track! theres not much we can do until signs are up though.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 9:49 Quote
if theres any body who live near sc*nthorpe there welcome to ride our jumps i theres pics ov em more jumps now tho i took those pictures about 1.5 weeks after we started biulding them

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 at 10:03 Quote
thats more like it 10 brownie points to you......now anyone else want to share there trails.................

Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 9:08 Quote
TheFlashMan wrote:
in fact... if people in the uk shared there trails and stoped this secracy bizzness. i think thered be much more than you relise. our bros across the pond want people to see and share there trails. but seems the uk are stuck up

yeah, understand completely but for me its not just the hassle of rebuilding a jump everytime someone kicks it down, its also the maintanence of resurfacing them after a hard ride.

more riders = more work

if more people were more inclined to get their shovels out once in a while i wouldn't be bothered.

Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 9:38 Quote
were ok on the bit about wearing down because our jumps ar clay but its relitively easy to dig and goes rock solid in the summer put it this way they was completely solid about 2 days after we built them and our trick jumps its a solid takeof with sandy mud on top so it doesnt hurt to much when you fall

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020575
Mobile Version of Website