Powered by Outside

2010 pincher VS. 09 majesty OPINIONS?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
2010 pincher VS. 09 majesty OPINIONS?
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 18:06 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.aap.org/research/CHIRP_bw.jpg

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 18:06 Quote
Not really. It's true, he rides a BMX and he's pretty damn good on it too. But obviously that says something about the advice he's giving.

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 at 18:13 Quote
Him riding a bmx doesn't make his advise any less qualified... he knows his shit.

Anyways.. long dobSmile

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 2:12 Quote
Sh4rvan wrote:
Yup, 22.5" is too long for street, I've tried, 21.5" would be better.

it's too long for you, not too long for too long for street Wink

if you're tall than a 22.5" frame will be good for street

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 2:14 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Yussssssss.

The best rider in this thread (not sharvan!) approves of the Majesty for street, so you know it's legit.

who do you think is the best rider in this thread???

anyways, this is an endless discussion because the dob is better for street and the ns is better for dirt, so street riders will stick to saying dob, and dirt riders will stick to saying ns

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 2:17 Quote
I ride neither but da Majesty has AWSUM stickerz

MAJ SO SEEEEK

DOB = DEADFROGS

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 5:15 Quote
spongebomb wrote:
crs-one wrote:
Yussssssss.

The best rider in this thread (not sharvan!) approves of the Majesty for street, so you know it's legit.

anyways, this is an endless discussion because the dob is better for street and the ns is better for dirt, so street riders will stick to saying dob, and dirt riders will stick to saying ns
I could not agree more with the bolded statement. Salute If I could lock this thread, I would. I think a lot of discrepancy started because dude wanted a bike for dirt/street (according to the now edited first post), and the people responding were either on the very street, or very dirt end of riding. These threads are always a bad idea and usually become and argument. Fact.

No more dead frogz for 2010 Iggz. Also, NS paints logos on, Dob applies stickers. Wink

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 7:33 Quote
spongebomb wrote:

Not Sharvan. Not me, not Recklessness. I'll let you do the guesswork.

I'll just sum up my take on this issue one last time, if someone calls me biased it's because they can't read. And I'll completely ignore business practices. Alain if you're reading this, count yourself lucky.

To start off, I'm a bit over 6'2" and I ride 90% street. I ride with suspension. A few months ago when I cracked my third Specialized frame, I decided to get a new frame. Since I was offered a deal on anything from Dob, Black Market, Eastern, Atomlab, NS, I guess other 1664 brands too, I had some research to do. After comparing all of the geometries available to me, I decided that Dobermann and NS had what I wanted. Actually in retrospect I should've considered the Atomlab Trailking but whatever. Water unda the bridge.

So Dob and NS. I should add that at that point, one of my riding friends had a Majesty, and almost all of them had Dobermanns, in every imaginable configuration. I was mostly into the Pinscher from Dobermann so I could use my MTB hub, and the Majesty from NS so I'd get a long bike (what I like, because I'm tall) with a tiny-ass (14.8-9" stays) rear end. The Majesty had the edge at that point, because of tire clearance, steep HA, and and the long front end. It essentially came down to frame features at that point.

I preferred the Maj at the front end because it used an integrated headset. Although that meant I'd have to use the 1664 headset from the Riot I was borrowing over the Chris King that was in my Specialized bikes, I prefer how the integrated looks and drops my front end, not to mention how it weighs less. But being able to reuse my King wasn't exactly too bad of a thing, and in retrospect there's a pretty good chance that if I had a fork with a ton of adjustments, it would've clipped the downtube of the Majesty.

Next, there's overall clean frame lines. That's personal preference. I prefer the minimalist looks of the Majesty. Some people are into the swoopy rear end tubes of the Dob. Whatever. In terms of paint, I think the Majesty has the edge, not to say that Dobermann can't do sick colours (their flurorange is sick), but this paint seems pretty hard to chip, not to say I haven't managed, and it apparently has some anti-rust voodoo that has been working rather well. Dob paint has been known to run or chip, and when that happens, the rust begins. Sources? Doberdude's Pinscher, Recklessness' Le Pink jump to mind.

Moving onto the seating area, I wanted an integrated clamp. It's lighter, lower, looks cleaner, and it's one less part to buy (although again I could've recycled from my P3). The Majesty has that and also has a smaller seattube that ends JUST above the TT junction. Does the smaller seattube diameter make a difference? Not really, maybe in weight, also I would've had to buy a new pivotal post, but it's mostly just aesthetics. Little things. I'll acknowledge that Dob's frame design means the 31.6mm seattube makes the frame stronger. Also the Dob has a lower standover.

Dropouts run clearly in favour of the Majesty. Although Dob has cleaned up their dropouts from the dead frogs of what, 06-09, they're still really long and chunky and have a shit-ton going on. Majesty has super short minimalist drops. Perfect.

So there you go. A full list of the reasons I prefer the Majesty, and the relevant features of the Dob so you can decide if the Majesty actually has the edge. As Mark noted (and I'd trust him), the BB height really doesn't make much of a difference. Maybe if you run a rigid fork it will. So it comes down to whether you like a steep head angle, if you like a long front end. I'm not sure how short the 2010 Pinscher 26's stays are. But the Majesty's get down to like 14.8-14.9" when you've got it crazy slammed. It's not about whether or not you ride dirt, it's about what kind of bike you like. Read and think please.

Oh and sharvan, you really think I'm a bike collector? Please. Silly kid.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 8:03 Quote
crs-one wrote:
spongebomb wrote:

Not Sharvan. Not me, not Recklessness. I'll let you do the guesswork.

I'll just sum up my take on this issue one last time, if someone calls me biased it's because they can't read. And I'll completely ignore business practices. Alain if you're reading this, count yourself lucky.

To start off, I'm a bit over 6'2" and I ride 90% street. I ride with suspension. A few months ago when I cracked my third Specialized frame, I decided to get a new frame. Since I was offered a deal on anything from Dob, Black Market, Eastern, Atomlab, NS, I guess other 1664 brands too, I had some research to do. After comparing all of the geometries available to me, I decided that Dobermann and NS had what I wanted. Actually in retrospect I should've considered the Atomlab Trailking but whatever. Water unda the bridge.

So Dob and NS. I should add that at that point, one of my riding friends had a Majesty, and almost all of them had Dobermanns, in every imaginable configuration. I was mostly into the Pinscher from Dobermann so I could use my MTB hub, and the Majesty from NS so I'd get a long bike (what I like, because I'm tall) with a tiny-ass (14.8-9" stays) rear end. The Majesty had the edge at that point, because of tire clearance, steep HA, and and the long front end. It essentially came down to frame features at that point.

I preferred the Maj at the front end because it used an integrated headset. Although that meant I'd have to use the 1664 headset from the Riot I was borrowing over the Chris King that was in my Specialized bikes, I prefer how the integrated looks and drops my front end, not to mention how it weighs less. But being able to reuse my King wasn't exactly too bad of a thing, and in retrospect there's a pretty good chance that if I had a fork with a ton of adjustments, it would've clipped the downtube of the Majesty.

Next, there's overall clean frame lines. That's personal preference. I prefer the minimalist looks of the Majesty. Some people are into the swoopy rear end tubes of the Dob. Whatever. In terms of paint, I think the Majesty has the edge, not to say that Dobermann can't do sick colours (their flurorange is sick), but this paint seems pretty hard to chip, not to say I haven't managed, and it apparently has some anti-rust voodoo that has been working rather well. Dob paint has been known to run or chip, and when that happens, the rust begins. Sources? Doberdude's Pinscher, Recklessness' Le Pink jump to mind.

Moving onto the seating area, I wanted an integrated clamp. It's lighter, lower, looks cleaner, and it's one less part to buy (although again I could've recycled from my P3). The Majesty has that and also has a smaller seattube that ends JUST above the TT junction. Does the smaller seattube diameter make a difference? Not really, maybe in weight, also I would've had to buy a new pivotal post, but it's mostly just aesthetics. Little things. I'll acknowledge that Dob's frame design means the 31.6mm seattube makes the frame stronger. Also the Dob has a lower standover.

Dropouts run clearly in favour of the Majesty. Although Dob has cleaned up their dropouts from the dead frogs of what, 06-09, they're still really long and chunky and have a shit-ton going on. Majesty has super short minimalist drops. Perfect.

So there you go. A full list of the reasons I prefer the Majesty, and the relevant features of the Dob so you can decide if the Majesty actually has the edge. As Mark noted (and I'd trust him), the BB height really doesn't make much of a difference. Maybe if you run a rigid fork it will. So it comes down to whether you like a steep head angle, if you like a long front end. I'm not sure how short the 2010 Pinscher 26's stays are. But the Majesty's get down to like 14.8-14.9" when you've got it crazy slammed. It's not about whether or not you ride dirt, it's about what kind of bike you like. Read and think please.

Oh and sharvan, you really think I'm a bike collector? Please. Silly kid.

First off, silly kid? I'm the same age as you. Anyway yes I still think so, mainly because you have 2 paragraphs in your story about the geometry and 3 about the looks of the frame. Looks don't change the way they ride, geometry should be the only thing that decides it.

And yes a 22.5" TT IS too long. I might've switched to BMX but I've ridden MTB for quite a while and a part of that while with a 22.5" TT, even if you're around 2 metres, a 22" TT should be long enough.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 8:07 Quote
Thanks, you failed the reading test. Please try again.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 8:10 Quote
Of course that's the only kind of reply I was expecting.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 8:13 Quote
OK, so I typed out an actual answer, now time for the TL;DR

Dob and Majesty geo is effectively extremely similar in the long size, as per Mark, whose expertise I won't question, and we can safely assume OP is after a long bike since he's comparing these two. On that basis I evaluated the features of both frames and decided the Majesty was what I wanted. The longer top tube is better for me riding street. I hated riding a 21.5" TT.

There's more to riding street than Hop 3s. Long bikes suit my style and preference along with the preferences of many others.

Make sense to you yet?

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 8:17 Quote
But WHY is the longer TT better for you riding street? What did you hate so much about a 21.5" TT? IT should have plenty of room. And I can do a hell of a lot more than hop 3's, I just don't film everything I do.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 at 8:20 Quote
I know you can. It was an example. Why do I like a longer top tube? More room, I feel less cramped. Feels more stable. I don't really know. Same reason I run flat bars when most people run 3" rise bars. Because it feels better to me.

Can you agree that if the OP is comparing the Majesty to the Pinscher, he's probably comparing it to the 22.5" size, for consistency's sake?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020977
Mobile Version of Website