Powered by Outside

Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
Posted: Apr 14, 2015 at 9:08 Quote
get that all the time. i've had riders and runners come up as i am trying to clear fallen heavy limbs and vine off a trail that has stopped my ride & for them to just quickly turn away and not offer any help. only to see me later on the trail and ask if i was done so they could get thru
let's face it, you either face the herd or you become one of. unleash a wolf on em once in awhile.. cuz mother nature needs us to

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 14:24 Quote
The dirt at my local is rubbish for building only the top layer is any good.
Any tips on how to maximise dirt usage?

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 14:28 Quote
Gmancool99 wrote:

How do you mean 'rubbish' ?
Stones? Rocks? Clay? Sand? Loam?
they all have their own qualities, and can all be used if done correctly.....
tell us more.

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 14:33 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
Gmancool99 wrote:

How do you mean 'rubbish' ?
Stones? Rocks? Clay? Sand? Loam?
they all have their own qualities, and can all be used if done correctly.....
tell us more.

Council came in and chopped a lot of trees and left all the wood chippings so the top layer is decent dirt and the rest is roots, stones and generally held together strongly by plant roots

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 14:38 Quote
Dude just dig straight down past the roots, then you will find something to work with.
The world ain't made of roots!

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 14:46 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
Dude just dig straight down past the roots, then you will find something to work with.

I will try but it's hard to describe the full difficulty of the dirt I'm working with.
Thanks for the help

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 14:48 Quote
Gmancool99 wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:

I will try but it's hard to describe the full difficulty of the dirt I'm working with.
Thanks for the help

Do a few test pits around the bank too , try a couple above and to the side and maybe one below , below sucks tho for getting the dirt back up.

Up turned trees are a good place to do a pit

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 14:52 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Gmancool99 wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:

Thanks for the help

Do a few test pits around the bank too , try a couple above and to the side and maybe one below , below sucks tho for getting the dirt back up.

Up turned trees are a good place to do a pit

Yeah I've found a few piles of discarded almost like shingle? It's like the stuff they use as the top layer for trail centres, that grey rock stuff so I've been using that to give it a good base and finish

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 15:14 Quote
Use the crap for filled with as little plant matter as possible the. Cover it in clay

(Logs and shit dirt are different, I before jamer advocating filler comments!)

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 15:17 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
Use the crap for filled with as little plant matter as possible the. Cover it in clay

(Logs and shit dirt are different, I before jamer advocating filler comments!)

Ok thanks will try some if these techniques when I'm next our and will updates all of you, thanks for your suggestions!

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 5:53 Quote
I would advise making a sifter for your dirt. This allows you utilize the rocks and other things as a base filler, while giving you the cleanest dirt to work with.

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 20:31 Quote
My brother and I have recently come into a situation where we get a rather large excavator for about a week or so.

We have plenty of land that we own that's available to us for digging, but the soil is absolute shite. It's incredibly dusty and has TONS of medium sized rocks in it, which makes building lips and whatnot a pain.

Our plan is to dig 2 or 3 main lines (which we've already planned out, so we'll have room to grow). We want to make most of the jumps bombholes, with a few rollers and step-ups in the mix. Obviously we won't get anywhere close to this in one week, but does anyone have any tips as to building stuff like this with a digger? I want to maximize my efficiency with this lol.

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 at 23:20 Quote
Did this thread just die out of nowhere.... it used to be pretty active...

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 at 23:21 Quote
It's summer now ( kind of ) we are all riding the stuff we been digging all winter Smile

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 at 23:23 Quote
I gotcha. The weather just now got warm enough for me to start on my track (which is coming along very nicely if I do say so myself)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013647
Mobile Version of Website