Powered by Outside

Make Downhill Racing an Olympic Sport!

PB Forum :: Downhill
Make Downhill Racing an Olympic Sport!
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 13:24 Quote
Well BMX is doing ok in the games, so I don't see why it's a bad idea for DH. I guess that they have the opinion that if DH was included all other MTB categories would have to be accepted equally like Trials, Cross Country, 4X, Dual slalom etc. But the exposure would be awesome, I am unfortunitley old enough to remember DH on the X-Games in the 90's and that boosted the sport big time!

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 13:26 Quote
as stated beofore xc IS an olympic sport.
willshiels wrote:
Well BMX is doing ok in the games, so I don't see why it's a bad idea for DH. I guess that they have the opinion that if DH was included all other MTB categories would have to be accepted equally like Trials, Cross Country, 4X, Dual slalom etc. But the exposure would be awesome, I am unfortunitley old enough to remember DH on the X-Games in the 90's and that boosted the sport big time!

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 13:26 Quote
XC is in the games this year I believe. It would be sick for all the WC guys to shred for their respective countries. There would be some sick battles. Can't say which country would take it though. And who the hell would the US have?

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 13:30 Quote
cake1dlx wrote:
XC is in the games this year I believe. It would be sick for all the WC guys to shred for their respective countries. There would be some sick battles. Can't say which country would take it though. And who the hell would the US have?

I didn't realise that, well DH should be!! But how many of us watch the Olympic Games??? I down a couple off red bulls ride like f!*k come r=home have a steak roll a joint then play xbox, I got no time for lycra...

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 13:42 Quote
willshiels wrote:
cake1dlx wrote:

I didn't realise that, well DH should be!! But how many of us watch the Olympic Games??? I down a couple off red bulls ride like f!*k come r=home have a steak roll a joint then play xbox, I got no time for lycra...

Haha, I watch most of the events that are on. I mean it only happens once every 4 years so it's kind of a big deal. I used to have almost the same lifestyle until I got a job, plus I need a 360. There would be a few countries that owned DH like Australia, England/Britain, Canada could have a hell of a team, and South Africa. It would make it a lot more interesting I'll tell you that.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 14:16 Quote
cake1dlx wrote:
willshiels wrote:
cake1dlx wrote:

Haha, I watch most of the events that are on. I mean it only happens once every 4 years so it's kind of a big deal. I used to have almost the same lifestyle until I got a job, plus I need a 360. There would be a few countries that owned DH like Australia, England/Britain, Canada could have a hell of a team, and South Africa. It would make it a lot more interesting I'll tell you that.

...Hey, I got a job! How do you think I can afford all the Red Bull and dope! lol

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 14:17 Quote
willshiels wrote:
cake1dlx wrote:
willshiels wrote:

...Hey, I got a job! How do you think I can afford all the Red Bull and dope! lol
Anyhoo, i'm only messing around. I'm a kinda straight edge kinda guy.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 14:19 Quote
I never said you didn't have a job. I just had to quit for mine. But yeah...jobs do have their perks (paychecks to buy bikes/parts). My job has been taking up alot of time lately so riding time is hard to come by.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 14:20 Quote
cake1dlx wrote:
I never said you didn't have a job. I just had to quit for mine. But yeah...jobs do have their perks (paychecks to buy bikes/parts). My job has been taking up alot of time lately so riding time is hard to come by.
Dude, you missed the point, it was a joke, I know you didn't mean that. I'm just messin..

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 14:26 Quote
I know you were kidding man, no hard feelings here. All in all, DH should be in the Olympics.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
cake1dlx wrote:
I know you were kidding man, no hard feelings here. All in all, DH should be in the Olympics.
Yeah man, but moto style, no skinsuits! $$$$$$$ Sponsors, hype, fashion..

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 14:32 Quote
willshiels wrote:
cake1dlx wrote:
Yeah man, but moto style, no skinsuits! $$$$$$$ Sponsors, hype, fashion..

I mean skinsuits were worn in the World Champs so I can definately see them in the Games. All they would be allowed to have on their suits is the brand that makes them and the country's design. Just like they are today for all the other events.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 14:32 Quote
yeah no doubt should be but some people will think its gay

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 14:41 Quote
For money and Exposure we need longer faster tracks, moto style and characters like Gracia, Palmer, Voullioz, Peat.. Stuff like Phycosis DH..

Truth is DH on camera looks slow, skinsuits don't help sponsors (Fox, Troy Lee, Oakley etc..), Red Bull Rampage has given the sport more Exposure in 3 years than X-Games has or the Olimpic Games could.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 14:44 Quote
willshiels wrote:
For money and Exposure we need longer faster tracks, moto style and characters like Gracia, Palmer, Voullioz, Peat.. Stuff like Phycosis DH..

Truth is DH on camera looks slow, skinsuits don't help sponsors (Fox, Troy Lee, Oakley etc..), Red Bull Rampage has given the sport more Exposure in 3 years than X-Games has or the Olimpic Games could.

That makes sense. But the Olympics are an international sporting event while only the freeride community really follows things like the rampage and other comps. The Olympics would bring the sport in the spotlight to tons of countries that don't know what it is or is about.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026905
Mobile Version of Website