Powered by Outside

Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 22:48 Quote
I've decided to keep the rear gears for now and just run a single up front... won't be able to pedal backwards but i'm sure to get my kicks going FAST

Has it been discussed which kind of road cycling will get you fit the quickest?.. Long distance rides or Quick sprints?

Its probably best to mix it up but curious about others experienced

sorry for the noob questions.. I mostly ride dirt single track but have done some downhill

its been verry informative

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 1:53 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
It's not about preference or agreeing to disagree... it's simple fact and a matter of history. Just because a bunch of hairy legged douchebag hippies at coffee shops decided they were cool doesn't change what they were intended for. In fact, if you go back and look at the posiitons of the riders in the two photos you posted, it's pretty clear right there to see the differences.

ok Mr genius, explain the sloping top tubes and small front wheels then?

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 1:59 Quote
cvcdx wrote:
I've decided to keep the rear gears for now and just run a single up front... won't be able to pedal backwards but i'm sure to get my kicks going FAST

Has it been discussed which kind of road cycling will get you fit the quickest?.. Long distance rides or Quick sprints?

Its probably best to mix it up but curious about others experienced

sorry for the noob questions.. I mostly ride dirt single track but have done some downhill

its been verry informative

Hill sprints will build the muscles you need that will eat stored fat. Once you're happy with that turn to long distance rides for maintenance. Never forget about uphill power sprints along they way. If it feels like your heart will jump out and run away you're doing the right thing. Of course if you're 300lbs and are over 35 then start slow Wink

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 15:20 Quote
im pretty sure fat is burnt through continuous(more than 40mins) at about 70% max heart rate

and the reason for the small wheel and sloping TT is because they stupid old hipster bikes hahaa

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 15:36 Quote
alder93 wrote:
because they stupid old hipster bikes hahaa

no need for the a*shole comment

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 15:50 Quote
I'm no expert but surely the designers of the bikes made the sloping top tube and small front wheel for a reason? I'm thinking aerodynamics?

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 15:56 Quote
plenty of logic behind it, sloping top tube makes the stem lower, smaller front wheel gets even lower, if it was to be the same high of the hoods they would just put chop n flops on a normal road bike

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 16:18 Quote
alder93 wrote:
im pretty sure fat is burnt through continuous(more than 40mins) at about 70% max heart rate

and the reason for the small wheel and sloping TT is because they stupid old hipster bikes hahaa

It is, however it would be quicker if you do hill sprints to build muscle, because muscle burns fat faster than aerobic exercises. At least that's what worked for me. I was 250lbs about 4 years ago and began with short rides to build up some stamina then started throwing in hill sprints to get my legs bigger and then started throwing in some longer rides in between. To really see some progress throw in a ride or two thru out the week and weekend.

S

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 16:21 Quote
question sort of to do with that, what's the best way to ride to burn fat?

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 16:22 Quote
never-stop wrote:

+1, I need to shed some weight.

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 16:24 Quote
actually its my girlfriend who wonders (typical girl!) I'm not really bothered

well only bothers me when i ride in the drops with my chain around my waist, but even for a skinny dude it might dig in, i don't know....

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 16:27 Quote
Oh, well my other half says she's put off by my man tits and gut so I want to get back into shape.

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 16:27 Quote
never-stop wrote:

Guess you never saw my previous post. Hill sprints. You have to do them until your heart jumps out and runs away not once or twice. Quite eating anything deep fried start eating more raw veggies in various colours (No joke here), cut out soft drinks and alcohol from regular to occasional or social only.

It's a combo effort one goes with the other. If you do any one of these without the other it will take you forever and nothing will change.

S

EDIT: I could go on forever about this but something really important is to drink at least 2 litres of water per day. If you're low on energy you can mix a few supplements in for the extra boost Like Protein powder with Taurine and L-Glutamine.

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 16:36 Quote
so basicly ride hard! Razz

i keep meaning to take her along when i go for rides but never happens, for various reasons....

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 16:37 Quote
never-stop wrote:
so basicly ride hard! Razz

i keep meaning to take her along when i go for rides but never happens, for various reasons....

I have an idea. Put a twinkie on a fishing pole and mount it to her bike so it dangles in front of her.

lol that's what I told my wife I would do for her she just laughed.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.040510
Mobile Version of Website