Powered by Outside

Flats or Clipped?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Flats or Clipped?
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 at 14:33 Quote
I would have SPDs now, if it weren't for me needed to spend money on other things.

I think the problem is that freeriders are naive.

Posted: Jan 16, 2008 at 14:33 Quote
Actually I'm going to say that I'll run flats on some tracks, but these tracks are super smooth, with massive wide and off-camber turns. Sure there's a lot of pedaling but it's longer to clip back in, that's the only downfall.

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 at 14:41 Quote
Perssonally I run spds. What it gets down to is better pedaling eficiancy. Once you are clipped in you dont have to worry about your feet pattering all over the place. You can concentrate more on your lines. As for the people who think clipless is suicide, they are complete noobs. Not saying that all people who use flats are noobs. There are great dh riders that are on flats. What it gets down to is the day's conditions. Perssonally I am a clip man, when I evolved from flats there was no turning back.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 1:36 Quote
I have a phobia about getting stuck (hence why I cant wear a ring on my finger), just the thought of clipless freaks me out. I can snowboard though, i think its because i know its just 4 buttons to get out, and snow is softer than treestumps... Whereas clipless, there are lots of panic moments clipping-out-wise and moving your feet around is part of manouveuring your bike.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 3:51 Quote
Yes moving feet around is part of moving your bike around, but with clipless you soon learn to do just that. And it is infact easier being that you are attached better and can move the bike more.

That is a shame about the phobia. What does your missus say?

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 4:06 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
Yes moving feet around is part of moving your bike around, but with clipless you soon learn to do just that. And it is infact easier being that you are attached better and can move the bike more.

About rings? If we sort out a marrige type thing i'm getting a nice Omega Speedmaster or summet along those lines, much more useful than a ring anyway... lol

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 4:08 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:

About rings? If we sort out a marrige type thing i'm getting a nice Omega Speedmaster or summet along those lines, much more useful than a ring anyway... lol

Sweet deal!! I'd much rather a watch than a ring!

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 4:14 Quote
Yeah! I thought that too, twas her idea as well!

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 4:27 Quote
Sounds good. Plus a watch just looks nicer.

Anyway! Clipless vs. Flats is all about preference. How many of these topics need to be created before people start understanding that?

I've seen loads of these turn into clueless 14 year olds saying that clipless sucks 'cause "Sam Hill uses flats" against well structured but failing arguments. For the sake of power and agility I personally think clipless wins.

But as muzzler once pointed out "Do a no footer" "Oh f*ck off".

They have a time place, in the same way that XC forks and DH forks have their places.

However, with the increasing numbers of bi-pedals, like Crank Brothers Mallet and the like, you start to see the advantages and disadvantages of clipless evening out.

If you still think that clipless is crap for the riding you do, stick with flats.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 10:36 Quote
tbh i dont think clipless pedals are that much better because it could be a small problem if you get bucked over your bars

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 10:38 Quote
tell me abt it ive broke ma collar bone
but i stillwould use clips 4 4x and flats for every thing else

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 11:26 Quote
ok one more from the old man. has lil to do with clipless, flats, and blah blah...but this argument is getting way to overheated, calling people noobs and crap...from 14 yr olds. Before the days of clipless, we had toe straps...on my road bike I had toe clips with a leather strap that ran thru them...you can see them in museums now. I was riding my road bike, being the road racer type at the time, I come up to a stop light at a very crowded intersection...the light turns red on me, no problem...I apply the brakes and stop...forget to reach down and loosen the buckle on my toe strap...yes, I fell over against a car next to me and slowly slid all the way down to the pavement...ended up in a big heap of a loser. Took almost the entire duration of the red light to reach through the tubes of my frame to the strap to undo it...so when clipless came along, christ I was happy. So no worries, brothers...just ride what you want. Who cares.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 11:53 Quote
Fatass-of-oz wrote:
aiston wrote:
yep flats all the way just get really grippy ones unless u wana die with clips

You are clueless. And this thread kinda needs locking, it's about 10 pages of "FlAtS aRe So MuCh BeTtEr CoS u DoNt DiE" versus a well structured argument on SPD side. Look through, almost everyone who says clips has made a hell better argument and most of the people who are riding flats have never even tried clips. This thread needs to go away now, it's a never ending argument between n00bs and angry spd riders like me.

but rant over, spd's are better and there is no way about it. I can get my foot off better than you could for a drift turn because clips slide sideways out, with flats you'd have to move your foot up, across and then back down. You can get like 70% more pedal efficiancy (sp?) and jumping step-ups and such is much much much easier because you can lift with hands and feet. SPD's are the way, no going around it

i wasnt saying clips are a bad thing i was just refering to crashes, if your in the air and you need to bail whats easy to get off clips or flats. its obv flats i no all the angry clips are gunna say you can easyly unclip but when your just about to crash u wont have the time to unclip. i can understand clips are better to jump and are more peddle efficient but personaly i would always use flats. and i have tried clips. i hated them. At the end of the day its up to the rider who cares what each other are riding just think about yourself RANT OVER ! !

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 12:09 Quote
aiston wrote:
i wasnt saying clips are a bad thing i was just refering to crashes, if your in the air and you need to bail whats easy to get off clips or flats. its obv flats i no all the angry clips are gunna say you can easyly unclip but when your just about to crash u wont have the time to unclip. i can understand clips are better to jump and are more peddle efficient but personaly i would always use flats. and i have tried clips. i hated them. At the end of the day its up to the rider who cares what each other are riding just think about yourself RANT OVER ! !

You were saying clips are bad. Trust me, after a few rides with clips clipping out becomes second nature and you'll clip out immediately. Nothing to do with time. However I would say that if you are doing jumps clips are a bad idea. Stick to fast DH or XC for clips!

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
rhysmtb wrote:
tbh i dont think clipless pedals are that much better because it could be a small problem if you get bucked over your bars

If you're going over the bars I don't see how flats would make it any better? Please explain. The way I see it is, you're still losing half your shin and getting hit in the knackers by a saddle.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021390
Mobile Version of Website