Powered by Outside

Retro 1994 GT Zaskar

PB Forum :: GT
Retro 1994 GT Zaskar
Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 10:42 Quote
photo

I know not strictly ZASKAR but it’s the nearest thread. 97 Lightning in lovely condition I picked up a few weeks ago. Just starting to build I up with better bits than it came with. Need some SIDs and a few finishing bits but it’ll be nice when done

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 18:22 Quote
Did you pick this up in the Stroud?

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 23:06 Quote
No not from stroud

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 1:01 Quote
It sure is a minter! ;-()

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
llarrggee wrote:
My brother had this 20th anniversary MBUK edition a while ago.

It was bought off the prize winner. It had a certificate to go with the frame and a copy of the magazine.

He struggled to sell it on tho because the original frame had a crack. I cant believe it developed a crack from such little use but it did. So GT replaced the frame no questions asked, but the frame number didn't match certificate and potential buyers were suspicious. Eventually it went. I wonder where it is now?

Lovely bike but I just wouldn't want to use it. That's why it had to go. People were saying it would be worth a fortune in the future but I'm not so sure. It would have to be kept unused for another 20 years and only then I still doubt it. Its a bike not a classic car.

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

I own it still. Bought it from you in about 2008 I think

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 19:15 Quote
I've owned this bike for at least 10 years.
I was going to sell it and buy a gravel bike, however, I decided to upgrade instead after reading, "If the bike is comfortable, stick with it." Glad I did. It fits so well. 26 inch stuff is getting hard to find so I went with 27.5 inch Crank Brothers Cobalt wheels with Tubeless Panaracer tires. Had to upgrade the fork for the tires and added Hydraulic Disc Brakes.
It rides so smooth. Also, upgraded to 10 speed. Waxed the new chain. Bought a cheap Crock pot and wax off Amazon. Added some Teflon powder. So far staying very quiet and clean.

Retro Zaskar
Retro Zaskar
Retro Zaskar
photo
photo

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
Anyone know the derailleur hanger part no. for this bike? I'm doing a rebuild now and need a replacement. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 0:25 Quote
dakusg wrote:
Anyone know the derailleur hanger part no. for this bike? I'm doing a rebuild now and need a replacement. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is it hanger #2 here?
https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/product-category/derailleur-hangers/gt/?bike_type=mtb

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
ejo777 wrote:
I've owned this bike for at least 10 years.
I was going to sell it and buy a gravel bike, however, I decided to upgrade instead after reading, "If the bike is comfortable, stick with it." Glad I did. It fits so well. 26 inch stuff is getting hard to find so I went with 27.5 inch Crank Brothers Cobalt wheels with Tubeless Panaracer tires. Had to upgrade the fork for the tires and added Hydraulic Disc Brakes.
It rides so smooth. Also, upgraded to 10 speed. Waxed the new chain. Bought a cheap Crock pot and wax off Amazon. Added some Teflon powder. So far staying very quiet and clean.

Retro Zaskar

Your 27.5 gravel bike conversion looks great.

I've got a 95 zaskar with a small top tube dent built up with my 99 Trek VRX300 components and a 96 Avalanche built with balance pro FS components and magura hydraulic rim brakes (also with a small top tube dent). On both I still need to re-run cables. The fork on the Avalanche is pretty beat so i've gotta look at my options there as well.

Your post has me considering going gravel bike on one of them but need to do some more research on parts/cost etc etc. I've been out of mountain biking for almost 10 years now and never had anything newer then my 99 vrx, or anything with discs so i'm weighing my options. Maybe just go new(er) even tho it's less fun then tinkering.

so we'll see if I set one up more as a flat bar street/hybrid.
I should add this thread was a major driver for hunting down the frames a couple years back!

When i was in 7th grade around 1998 a local guy (jr in highschool at the time) worked for my dad painting our house for a summer... he commuted on a polished triple triangle GT that i used to just drool over... this thread brought it all back.

Also I'm open to suggestions on good path's forward (should probably start my own thread too - to keep my thoughts more organized)

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.055052
Mobile Version of Website