Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

What is to Light?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What is to Light?
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 6:59 Quote
if you work in a bike shop, get dud reciepts so you can tell the insurance company that you spent the 69 trillion dollars on the best bike ever created, take the insurance money and run. then spend a reasonable amount on a bike, (glory with a few different parts would be my choice) and spend the rest on time riding your bike somewhere like whistler. a grand spent livin in whistler will leave you a much better rider than a grand spent on losing a pound or maybe 2.

ps. i really disagree with sacrificing tough/ grippy tyres for the weight it will save. theres no point in having the lightest bike possible if you have no traction.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 7:29 Quote
Holy #$%$. I can't believe some of the abuse you took on this thread. Good advice by s-t-e-v-e though. For what its worth there is a kid riding around town where I live with the new SOCOM. Unfreakingbelievable bike. I don't know what it weighs or costs but you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least check it out. Unlike the Demo it is a pure DH race bike, so if you don't plan on hucking it and are going to save it for races, it might be worthwhile. Great advice on the 2nd wheel set if you have the $$$. Whatever you get post pics!!!! I'm sure it'll have everyone who flamed you drooling.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 8:12 Quote
schwimble wrote:
if you work in a bike shop, get dud reciepts so you can tell the insurance company that you spent the 69 trillion dollars on the best bike ever created, take the insurance money and run. then spend a reasonable amount on a bike, (glory with a few different parts would be my choice) and spend the rest on time riding your bike somewhere like whistler. a grand spent livin in whistler will leave you a much better rider than a grand spent on losing a pound or maybe 2.

ps. i really disagree with sacrificing tough/ grippy tyres for the weight it will save. theres no point in having the lightest bike possible if you have no traction.

for one im not just running smaller tires to save weight. i just like having smaller tires. its personal preference. and as far as spending the money somewhere else thats not really and option seeing the insurance company is only making the money payable to my lbs

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 8:14 Quote
Well, enjoy it. When it comes down to it, it's your preference. I'll second Steve with the build, many of the parts you're putting on are not the best you could get for the money, but that's still up to you.

Enjoy.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 8:16 Quote
Termenaitor wrote:
you wiil regret every second that you didn't buy that v-10 if you buy the demo.
weight isnt all that matters in a dh bike, and with that budget you could build a v-10 that looks better, performes a LOT better and holds up a LOT better.
btw why only those bikes, IMO if you live in calgary buy a light nice pedalling bike like a commencal supreme dh, morewood izumi dh etc from another shop(you say yours dosen't sell anything else) and buy parts from your lbs...

ok yes the v10 is race proven and the rest of that. but the only reason we dont have anyone on here bragging about demo's is because how many pros do you see racing for specialized .. none so of course people wont think there good. aswell as the fact i want to be able to find my bike in a crowd ( theres to many v10's around). the v10 feels like to much of a plow bike to me. if was going to go with another bike it would be the giant glory as its a very good downhill bike.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 8:17 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Well, enjoy it. When it comes down to it, it's your preference. I'll second Steve with the build, many of the parts you're putting on are not the best you could get for the money, but that's still up to you.

Enjoy.

ok well jw like what parts do you suggest .cause i just want the best bike i can get.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 8:23 Quote
g10ry wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Enjoy.

ok well jw like what parts do you suggest .cause i just want the best bike i can get.

Pretty much the same as what Steve said. Consider your local, too. I personally am not a fan of the demo 7. Overweight for what you get, not that pretty, and rather expensive. I'd go for a 224. Lighter than hell. The V-10's also supposed to be a crapload lighter this year. Someone suggested the Socom, but that seems like a one season bike.

That aside, I'd go for the RS7 cranks. Little hard to find, but easily the best cranks out there.

Juicy's instead of codes, with 7 inch rotors.

I think you get the point. xD

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 8:25 Quote
sherbet wrote:
g10ry wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Enjoy.

Pretty much the same as what Steve said. Consider your local, too. I personally am not a fan of the demo 7. Overweight for what you get, not that pretty, and rather expensive. I'd go for a 224. Lighter than hell. The V-10's also supposed to be a crapload lighter this year. Someone suggested the Socom, but that seems like a one season bike.

That aside, I'd go for the RS7 cranks. Little hard to find, but easily the best cranks out there.

Juicy's instead of codes, with 7 inch rotors.

I think you get the point. xD

ok ye. and just so you know the codes which come on the bike are actually special edition code 7's so there the same size aas a juicy seven

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 8:26 Quote
Just look at what Steve suggested. Those are all really good options.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 8:58 Quote
g10ry wrote:
futterbuck wrote:
Look man, you really should reconsider your part spec. I think it would be a huge shame if you spent all your dough building that machine up an it not being what you want.

oh ok .. what do you think i should consider doing?
and thanks this is wat i was looking for alittle bit of constructive crtisism of the bike not just its pointless

Well I added the weights by the way I do it, and here is the outcome. Don't foget to take into account in the other section that I put 2lbs on it just to give me a garce incase i did mess up.

Frame: 2008 Specialized Demo 7
Fork: 2008 Rock Shox Boxxer WC
Shock: 2008 Fox DHX Ti 5.0
Crank: Holzfellers, Howitzer BB
tires: Kenda Nevegal UST
Cassete: not specified
Headset: RaceFace Diabolus
Rims: Mavic EX 823
Derailluer: Sram x.o
Brakes: Avid Codes Not sure what size disc, you didnt specify
Chain: non specified
Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite DH
Stem: E.13 Ali Stem
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
Saddle: SDG Ti Fly
Hubs: DT Swiss 440
Spokes: DT Swiss Competiton
Pedals: Crank Bros Mallet 3
Grips: Odi Ruffian
Shifter: Sram x.o
Tubes: Tubeless
Guide: E.13 Light Guide 1
Chainring: E.13 Guidering

Frame: 10lbs 4535g
Fork: 2812g
Shock: 371g
Crank: 1295g
tires: 1760g
Cassete: 300g
Headset: 175g
Rims: 1314g
Derailluer: 192g
Brakes: 898g 160mm rotors
Chain: 300g
Bar: 225g
Stem: 175g
Seatpost: 158g
Seat: 170g
Hubs: 387g 207g
Spokes: 274g
Pedals: 440g
Grips: 90g
Shifter: 110g
Tubes: 120g
Guide: 195g
Chainring: 38g
Other: 908g, cause im tired, prone to make a mistake

Weight grams: 17449g
weight lbs : 38.468

seems a little bit more heavy than you added up, still i'm sure that i made a mistake somwhere, props to the first one to find it!!!

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 10:53 Quote
The chain and cassette could be off as I don't think he posted exactly what model he wanted. I would definitely go for a road cassette because it's a really easy way to save weight without losing strength. You might also want to consider a road deraileure, with the exception of the shimano saint there's really not much strength difference if any at all between road and mtb derailleurs. Pair an xtr shifter with a dura ace derailleur and cassette and you'll have just about the best shifting money can buy.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 11:37 Quote
s-t-e-v-e wrote:
The chain and cassette could be off as I don't think he posted exactly what model he wanted. I would definitely go for a road cassette because it's a really easy way to save weight without losing strength. You might also want to consider a road deraileure, with the exception of the shimano saint there's really not much strength difference if any at all between road and mtb derailleurs. Pair an xtr shifter with a dura ace derailleur and cassette and you'll have just about the best shifting money can buy.

Not exaclt the best shifting, RED 5 hydraulic shifting from those German guys is blowing all other shifting out of the water.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 21:21 Quote
this would be killer too:

Nomad over the demo with a DHX air (demo if you want not a big deal)
Boxxer WC
Crank Bros headset
protaper's
formula brakes
bolt on stem
if your not big on isis cranks, then XTR or gravity light cranks will do you just fine
mavic 721 rims on hope pro 2 hubs
SDG I beam seat/post
etc etc

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 5:08 Quote
^^^
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.flowzone.ch/pictures/news/syndicate_santacruz_nomad_big.jpg

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 5:44 Quote
photo

look at those specs i think his bike is around 38

photo

and as for frame, im sorry to tell u the Orange 224 is not that light, neither is the commencal

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028780
Mobile Version of Website