Carbon rotors, that's right I said it. **EDIT first prototype made**

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Carbon rotors, that's right I said it. **EDIT first prototype made**
Posted: Sep 5, 2008 at 20:19 Quote
srobinson wrote:
aniyn wrote:
lahouse wrote:

Having pieces up your ass isn't exactly better.
You don't need your ass to see however.

You shouldn't have to worry about that. Think of a piece of dirt coming off your tire, it isn't going that fast. The rotor is also spinning slower so it shouldn't really be a problem.

The problem is A) if a piece somehow gets stuck in the caliper, your wheel stops. Much better for this to happen in the back. And B) when riding steep and loose downhill, a back brake alone has very little chance of stopping you. Best to keep the front safe.
the rotor is spinning the same speed as the wheel...

Posted: Sep 5, 2008 at 20:20 Quote
chaserdr wrote:
srobinson wrote:
aniyn wrote:

You shouldn't have to worry about that. Think of a piece of dirt coming off your tire, it isn't going that fast. The rotor is also spinning slower so it shouldn't really be a problem.

The problem is A) if a piece somehow gets stuck in the caliper, your wheel stops. Much better for this to happen in the back. And B) when riding steep and loose downhill, a back brake alone has very little chance of stopping you. Best to keep the front safe.

Same RPM, lower actual KM/h.

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
chaserdr wrote:
srobinson wrote:
aniyn wrote:

It spins at the same rate, however the actual speed is lower the closer you get to the center of rotation. There was a large discussion about this like a year ago, and I had to bust out the maths before a couple of people finally got the point.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 21:13 Quote
aniyn wrote:
chaserdr wrote:
srobinson wrote:

It spins at the same rate, however the actual speed is lower the closer you get to the center of rotation. There was a large discussion about this like a year ago, and I had to bust out the maths before a couple of people finally got the point.
haha i remember that

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 18:42 Quote
I was out today testing it and well guess what guys?

IT WORKS!

I was unable to get my hands on organic pads which would've been a lot better for the testing. I just need to measure it up the hub when making more. I had to file it down a bit to fit with no flexing. The important thing is it works, for street riding that is.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 18:49 Quote
destri wrote:
I was out today testing it and well guess what guys?

IT WORKS!

I was unable to get my hands on organic pads which would've been a lot better for the testing. I just need to measure it up the hub when making more. I had to file it down a bit to fit with no flexing. The important thing is it works, for street riding that is.

how did they feel? did they grab well. any slipping. lets get some deatilas here!. too bad the cost of carbon fiber is rising so fast!

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 18:51 Quote
They feel pretty good and I didn't have an slipping at all while doing stalls. I was also able to lock up the wheel when riding. Organic pads are a must though as regular pads will eat away at it.

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 17:27 Quote
destri wrote:
They feel pretty good and I didn't have an slipping at all while doing stalls. I was also able to lock up the wheel when riding. Organic pads are a must though as regular pads will eat away at it.
ANY UPDATED REVIEWS?

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 17:34 Quote
The project is dead. My carbon dried out and is crap now(stupid freezer fried). I still have the originals protos but I can't do more testing on them since revisions needed to be made and I have them planned out. I'll see if I can try and snag more carbon but its very unlikely.

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 23:07 Quote
you're letting that stop you?

if it works, i dont see why you cant make a carear out of this....

FL
Posted: Jun 3, 2009 at 0:20 Quote
you do know that they've had carbon rotors (and pads) on Moto GP bikes for years now?

would be interesting for MTB's. but i'd imagine the disk would have to be fairly think, and probally floating with a alloy centre part.

it does work well though.

Posted: Jun 3, 2009 at 14:42 Quote
dutchster wrote:
you're letting that stop you?

if it works, i dont see why you cant make a carear out of this....

I have to get my hands on more carbon and right now I don't have money to do that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026140
Mobile Version of Website