Powered by Outside

Hayes HFX 9 or Avid Juicy 5s?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Hayes HFX 9 or Avid Juicy 5s?
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 7:54 Quote
avid feels muck better and it is

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 8:03 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
I have an avid juicy 3 on my hardtail and its the worst brake i have ever used! needs bleeding all the time and has no power!
where as my hayes on mydh bike are really good now i have them working more power by far! i would go with the hayes unless you want to bleed the avids once a month at least

Well thats because they are the lowest end hydaulic brake from avid

FL
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 8:08 Quote
kyleandres wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:
I have an avid juicy 3 on my hardtail and its the worst brake i have ever used! needs bleeding all the time and has no power!
where as my hayes on mydh bike are really good now i have them working more power by far! i would go with the hayes unless you want to bleed the avids once a month at least

so is the hayes

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 8:10 Quote
Any Avid brake over any Hayes brake. I've had awful "luck" (experiences) with Hayes - horrible lever feel, lever doesn't fit your hands quite right, reliability, problems with bleeding and rebuilding, the whole nine yards. I had Juicy 5s and they never gave me a problem. I have Juicy 7s now and they're amazing. Avid pays so much more attention to quality than Hayes, it's like night and day.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 8:25 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
Any Avid brake over any Hayes brake. I've had awful "luck" (experiences) with Hayes - horrible lever feel, lever doesn't fit your hands quite right, reliability, problems with bleeding and rebuilding, the whole nine yards. I had Juicy 5s and they never gave me a problem. I have Juicy 7s now and they're amazing. Avid pays so much more attention to quality than Hayes, it's like night and day.

i agree, i've only ridden juicy 7's on a mates bike but for me hayes=Madder and Thumbs Down and Whip and Joker

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 9:48 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
kyleandres wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

so is the hayes

ive got juicy 3s and they are perect for what i do, but when do you know when it needs bleeding?

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 9:51 Quote
i got rid of the 9's on mine and got some juicy 5's and what a diffrence so much better no where near as wooden.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 9:52 Quote
Flos wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:
kyleandres wrote:

so is the hayes

ive got juicy 3s and they are perect for what i do, but when do you know when it needs bleeding?

I head never bleeded my juicy's 3's during last season.Hayes brakes i was bleeding them 3 times during 1 season.Hayes are shit brakes and nothing good and juicy 3's rules over the hayes.Avid is just 10x better than Hayes

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:01 Quote
Flos wrote:
The contact point for levers will be way out when the brakes get hot and the fluid expands because there is air in the line. Air expands with heat, and the brakes might leak or squeak.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:04 Quote
I had hayes on my previous bike and they were the worst brakes I have ever used. They were either on or off, meaning that the brakes would just lock up as soon as you touched the levers, there was no progressiveness at all. I have avids now and would definately reccomend them.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
hayes 9s are great for street due to them being on or of but everything else i would def go avid.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 17:42 Quote
Juicy 5,s rock. HFX nines suck believe me i have them.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 0:42 Quote
Every commenting on Avid lever feel being better, doesn't that come down to personal preference.
My brother has his Codes set up to feel like Hayes as he hates a Avid lever feel.
Anyway, Hayes hands down every time. More power than the Juicy and works better.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 11:37 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
kyleandres wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

so is the hayes
actually the hayes sole are the lowest hayes as only one piston per caliper... the other pad is adjustable via allen key... and they blow chunks compared to the avid 3's

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030708
Mobile Version of Website