Giant Reign X Frame - Help me out!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Giant Reign X Frame - Help me out!
Mod
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 10:25 Quote
The frame comes with a DHX Air! Why are you looking to replace the stock rear shock which is by no means a poor shock to begin with? All I can see is you pissing away $500+ on getting another rear shock that you won't notice any performance difference in.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 10:28 Quote
merkel wrote:
OK thanks for your help man. I've rode my friend's new A-Line with a 400lb shock and it felt nice. But I do like something a little stiffer. I guess I can work that out when I get the frame.

About lowering the forks - when I do cross country, having all that travel isn't great, and I'm wondering if the lower geometry (after lowering the forks to 115) will be better or if when XC-ing, I should just keep the forks at 160? And of course I could always just keep it somewhere in the middle like 130ish...

Use a Fox Talas for then dial it down for XC.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 10:31 Quote
If you prefer a coil shock get a Reign X1.

As for cockpit issues you really need to demo one. There is no one here who can tell you if your knees will hit the bars.

I am 5' 9" and ride a medium Reign X1 with no fit issues at all.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:19 Quote
sherbet wrote:
bigquotes2. I would recomend a fox dhx coil.

DHX air is much more versatile.

But the coil is plusher and it won't get stuck down

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:21 Quote
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Stuck down? Air these days is EXTREMELY plush, it's all in how much air you put in.

Though the air shocks tend to be progressive, and coil tends to be linear.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:40 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Stuck down? Air these days is EXTREMELY plush, it's all in how much air you put in.

stuck down refers to when the airs shock gets blown and doesn't come back up, a common problem for many fox dhx airs being used for rugged riding.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:43 Quote
reallybigmantis wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:

stuck down refers to when the airs shock gets blown and doesn't come back up, a common problem for many fox dhx airs being used for rugged riding.

An issue of the past, as far as I've seen.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:45 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Did you ride a dhx air 5.0 and a dhx 5.0 to compare? and being stuck down is exactly what the guy above said.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:46 Quote
sherbet wrote:
reallybigmantis wrote:
sherbet wrote:

An issue of the past, as far as I've seen.

Not very, i've seen '08 models stuck

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:46 Quote
Yes, I've ridden fart cans and springs.

As air ramps up, it makes cans tend to be progressive, and ramp up in their travel. Springs tend to be smoother through the stroke.

Either way, it's more than a pound of difference with a steel spring.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:47 Quote
krissis wrote:
this is a vid of the reign, not the reign x, this is about a 20 foot gap,

Views: 1,443    Faves: 0    Comments: 9

i use my reign for fr an dh, i want a reign x as they are even better.
minus helmet.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:48 Quote
sherbet wrote:

As air ramps up, it makes cans tend to be progressive, and ramp up in their travel. Springs tend to be smoother through the stroke.

ok, but i was talking about the plushness...

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:50 Quote
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

I'm talking about the general pros and cons. Riding a shock just because it's more plush doesn't really seem to make much sense, when a fart can is lighter, more tunable, and progressive, when he'll be doing many different styles of riding. It'll just be more versatile.

And yes, 08's have stuck. Same with 08 coils. Nothing's bomb proof, and I've yet to see a broken DHX air in our shop. I've seen a few DHX coils.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 11:55 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

I'm talking about the general pros and cons. Riding a shock just because it's more plush doesn't really seem to make much sense, when a fart can is lighter, more tunable, and progressive, when he'll be doing many different styles of riding. It'll just be more versatile.

And yes, 08's have stuck. Same with 08 coils. Nothing's bomb proof, and I've yet to see a broken DHX air in our shop. I've seen a few DHX coils.

Explain how a coil spring can get stuck... cuz i've never seen it. I'm not trying to start anything, i'm seriously curious to know.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:01 Quote
Stuck refers to blown up. It won't technically get "stuck," but it's the exact same issue.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021962
Mobile Version of Website