New Zealand:Need To Know Good Riding Spots In New Zealand

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
New Zealand:Need To Know Good Riding Spots In New Zealand
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 at 13:22 Quote
and to FRDH, at the moment our lift-accessed terrain is limited (non-existent). Coronet Peak used to open in the summer but did a pretty piss-poor job of it and consequently gave up. Skyline is still supposedly (from all reports) opening for a trial this season, however it will most likely be a pretty limited thing until they decide whether it's a viable option for them. You can currently get up the gondola with Vertigo Bike Tours though. Hopefully with alot of luck, Skyline opening will garner enough interest from people like yourself that they go ahead with a complete season next year, which might prompt Coronet Peak and the like to realise what they're missing out on and re-open with a better attitude towards the industry.

Heli-tours can be organised through Vertigo as well (althought I'm assuming this is the company you've already researched?). Check out the New Zealand episode of "Drop In" to get a better idea of the terrain, as the likes of Randy Spangler and Darren Berrecloth come to town and rip it up - including a trip heli-biking. Whether or not they're your cup of tea I couldn't say, but it is awesome fun and depending on your skill level the guides will let you have a bit of lee-way as to the ride itself (speed, etc.).

Otherwise I'm afraid we're pretty limited to shuttling or the good ol' fashion foot falcon around Queenstown. Treblecone used to have a nationals DH round there, whether or not they're doing so this season I'm not sure, as the sales/marketing rep. has gone on holidays at the moment. Snowpark also used to get turned into Dirt Park during summer, but as far as I know it's been canned until further notice. I'm not sure about the North Island, Rotorua has Skyline enterprises up there as well - they've also had a worlds event back in 2006 - can anyone shed any light on any lift-accessed terrain up north?

Posted: Oct 2, 2010 at 14:55 Quote
I send an email to the Gondola, here the answer :

We are currently in process of working towards allowing people to bring mountain bikes up on the gondolas.
At this stage I unfortunately don't have any further information about dates and prices, as we are still working on it.
We will keep your email address on our records and we shall email you as soon as we have more details.

Posted: Oct 3, 2010 at 20:04 Quote
shaunus wrote:
can anyone shed any light on any lift-accessed terrain up north?
yep, we have nothing at rotorua skyline thing, but the southstar shuttles http://www.southstaradventures.com/ have shuttles in wellington rotorua and christchurch for most of the year.
U have to realise that NZ is tiny and we dont have enough people to keep gondolas and things running during summer after ski season..
Try to hook up with some locals and you will be sorted.. I go with my club on the first sunday of each month for shuttles in the forest near me.
Join a club and you will be sorted from there.

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 at 1:57 Quote
corsair712 wrote:
shaunus wrote:
yep, we have nothing at rotorua skyline thing, but the southstar shuttles http://www.southstaradventures.com/ have shuttles in wellington rotorua and christchurch for most of the year.
U have to realise that NZ is tiny and we dont have enough people to keep gondolas and things running during summer after ski season..
Try to hook up with some locals and you will be sorted.. I go with my club on the first sunday of each month for shuttles in the forest near me.

yeah, thats the way to go

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 at 2:24 Quote
russpaver wrote:
alright guys,

Im coming out to New Zealand for most of this next year and was wondering if anybody new of anywhere to get a decent job? Preferably something in the mountain biking industry such as working in a bike shop/guiding, anything really! just give me some ideas and some contacts if you know of anywhere!!

From looking at this thread i reckon that south island such as christchurch/ queenstown seems like the right kinda riding for me as a DH racer, also is there any Downhill race circuits in NZ??

Cheers

Vertigo bikes in queenstown are advertising for bike tour guides, they want to employ about 7, you'll be in town before the interviews - so get down to 'browns ski shop' to hand in your cv - it converts to Vertigo bikes over the summer

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 at 11:55 Quote
[Quote="Bonz0"]
corsair712 wrote:
shaunus wrote:

Sweet, all the riding I've done has been around the Otago region, I haven't even taken the opportunity to go riding up in ChCh in the 3-4years I've been here. Good to know though, I've been interested in checking out the Rotorua riding scene for some time (since the '06 worlds really) so might have to organise myself a much needed riding vacation. Cheers

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 at 20:45 Quote
[Quote="shaunus"]
Bonz0 wrote:
corsair712 wrote:

Sweet, all the riding I've done has been around the Otago region, I haven't even taken the opportunity to go riding up in ChCh in the 3-4years I've been here. Good to know though, I've been interested in checking out the Rotorua riding scene for some time (since the '06 worlds really) so might have to organise myself a much needed riding vacation. Cheers

haha that would be cool but roto and chch at opposite ends of the country lol

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 at 21:38 Quote
haha, yeah man, I've lived in NZ long enough to figure that one out. I meant I've not even gotten to ride in Christchurch yet, let alone rotorua...but I've always wanted to go shred up in roto, so it'd be worth the trip

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 at 11:15 Quote
shaunus wrote:
haha, yeah man, I've lived in NZ long enough to figure that one out. I meant I've not even gotten to ride in Christchurch yet, let alone rotorua...but I've always wanted to go shred up in roto, so it'd be worth the trip

yeah both sick places, if your gunna do a riding holiday you should put queenstown in there when your down by chch

Posted: Oct 22, 2010 at 12:03 Quote
I'd totally do that, if I didn't already live in Queenstown Big Grin ...that's the problem, all my riding has been done in Queenstown, I haven't taken the bike outside of Otago since I got here 3-4years ago Redface

Posted: Oct 23, 2010 at 11:15 Quote
shaunus wrote:
I'd totally do that, if I didn't already live in Queenstown Big Grin ...that's the problem, all my riding has been done in Queenstown, I haven't taken the bike outside of Otago since I got here 3-4years ago Redface

oh nice place to live lol, then go to auckland when your up buy roto [=

Posted: Oct 23, 2010 at 13:52 Quote
Im keen to roadtrip.

Posted: Oct 24, 2010 at 16:40 Quote
Are any of you guys doing the national series? When does it start?

anybody heading up from Queenstown as i will split petrol money for a lift??

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 at 13:03 Quote
as I just posted in the other new zealand forum:

"Yo peeps, here's the latest on Queenstown's potential Gondola access for riders -
http://www.scene.co.nz/star-mountain-bikers-gondola-access-buzz-/281629a1.page -

There are other articles, but the current word is they've scrapped plans of an 8week season in favour for a potential 4 month season! We've got a meeting in the coming days to get a more in-depth idea (pricing, timing etc.) but as the article says, they're pushing for an opening in the new year. They've also dug in fresh tracks up the hill, including a massive beginner track that looks like you could be 2 wide the whole way down.

I'll do my best to give the info as I have it, the meeting is on Tuesday - so not long after I know, you'll know."

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 at 13:43 Quote
sounds abosolutely sick, im gonna have to build a track during my time out there

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.161559
Mobile Version of Website