Powered by Outside

Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread
O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 8:49 Quote
I anyone finds a black down vest along Flintstones, Spawn of Boulderdash or Autobahn, please pm me. I love that vest! Cheers!

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 at 9:50 Quote
Sumas lower gate has been closed for winter?????
This wed dec 29 at noon ,the gate was wide open .
The lock had been cut (torch marks evident) and lower pin cut out .
The plan I have been told is to change the locks and restrict access
,imo reason is political and a lack of money on
fvrd's part to maintain this beautiful mountain.
oh well we can still pedal it.
mr.gee

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 at 11:57 Quote
Well thats too bad; about the cutting of the lock, not the gate being closed.

Posted: Jan 19, 2011 at 10:22 Quote
Well the gate is back to being locked again ,I think it's the only mtn. around which is locked up ,due to politics and lack of money by fvrd .
The dirt bikes and quads easily go around all the gates even the upper,but there seems to be no pushback over this?
Still if you have strong legs and are into some pain for fun, come on down.
There is a new rerouting going on where XtraSauce comes out onto the road and you go down the road to the EmmaPeel.
This section is being changed and almost two K of new singletrack will keep you in the bush where you belong to the EmmaPeel. WavyGravy and two new bridges will make for a small climb and then a lot of down.
Come spring when this all hardens in XC riders are going to be happy,the whole of the E. side is Xc fun,now it's just getting more.
Have fun.
Don't forget INDOOR mtn bike 4X is on right now till Feb 20th.
Mr.G

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2011 at 12:01 Quote
Rode the new sections on the XC side on Thursday night. Some sweet work by Gary, Kerry and crew.

Posted: Jan 30, 2011 at 15:57 Quote
Kman and I worked up Sumas today
snow half way up with ice on the road.
we cut out a downed tree on Holiday sauce and put in a pipe on the exit of Holidaysauce.
The new section recieved some more work but it's just too cold to do the creamwork we need to do.
come spring this section will be ultrafast.
DevilsThroat and world cup to get a facelift and a correction of the water problems starting this week ,unless it's too cold to move dirt?
A new exit is being gpsed to really increase our amount of descent,adding to Chadsey Lake trail and TimekIller as well as worldcup.
Once done by spring it should just make this whole trail system better.
and you gotta love that.
g

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 at 12:59 Quote
MrGee wrote:
Sumas lower gate has been closed for winter?????
This wed dec 29 at noon ,the gate was wide open .
The lock had been cut (torch marks evident) and lower pin cut out .
The plan I have been told is to change the locks and restrict access
,imo reason is political and a lack of money on
fvrd's part to maintain this beautiful mountain.
oh well we can still pedal it.
mr.gee

I haven't riden on Sumas since late November/ early December, I'd like to know is it a climb only now (gate locked) or is the gate open again for shuttles? I'm trying to plan a ride there for this weekend and would like to know what to expect.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 at 16:54 Quote
Rode there last Thursday. Gate was locked and I havn't heard anyone say that its open.

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 at 23:34 Quote
Gates locked and its FAR to wet for shuttling.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 10:12 Quote
Well in the continually changing world of Sumas,seems Abbotsford is taking over responsibility for the lower gate,and keeping it closed for now.
Come spring /summer it should be open,the upper gate ,I doubt it will ever open unless ,some serious money gets thrown at the park. Really even on my big bike I still ride up past the upper gate to the Knob with no problems and then at the exit go into TimeKiller with out dying.
There is a big push by Abbotsford to either throw out fvrd (it's in the local papers) and bring in Metro, or get a completely redifined relationship. Abb. pays close to half of fvrd's budget and the Chamber of commerce and city staff have asked why are we paying all this money ?
Fvrd for those who remember it in the early days ,used to be situated in a small rented part of chwk school , now resides in a big expensive edifice in downtown chwk. It's one thing to get authority and so called control of area's like Sumas regional park,but another when you don't have the money to do anything.
I hear different interpetations of Sumas park (wilderness park,dangerous area, environmental sensitivities etcc) but look at all the logging, the fact more is coming with the Sumas band getting tenure of parts. The woodlot owner who has been pretty good to get along with,working with fvmba. Todate I have seen very little presence of fvrd, this has made a big problem ,as the gates have only made it more easily for the quads/ motorcycles to further their presence on the mtn.
A power saw trail around the upper gate and lower trail around the lower gate,no presence by those who claim to look after this mtn. All I keep seeing is money spent on gates.
Its fvrd business not mine and this is MY opinion not fvmba's on what's happening on this beautiful mtn.
Fvmba continues to do cleanups (the last one we took out tons of garbage),trailwork .
We can be proud of the legalization of Sumas mtn trails with the Ministry of Tourism,sports ,culture and arts,for the future of our trails.
,we will work with whoever comes out of this disagreement in time, and continue to improve the trails and access to this beautiful area the best we can.
Mr.G

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 15:27 Quote
Thanks for the up date.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2011 at 20:48 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.fvmba.com/uploads/raceposterv2.jpg

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 at 19:41 Quote
partswhore wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.fvmba.com/uploads/raceposterv2.jpg

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 at 19:44 Quote
I also started a seperate Thread for the FVMBA All Mountain Toonie Race. So any questions you have you can post them there as well.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.042919
Mobile Version of Website