Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
Posted: May 28, 2015 at 0:59 Quote
TreyDownhill wrote:
bigburd wrote:
Anyone else left feeling underwhelmed by the builder movie ?

Seemed to me more like just a normal bike move with a nod to the builders , was hoping for more of a behind the scenes kind of look at building.

I enjoyed it, but I see what you are saying

Agreed.
The most inspirational part was Matt MacDuffs

O+
Posted: May 28, 2015 at 5:11 Quote
mountainbiker-finn wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:
bigburd wrote:
Anyone else left feeling underwhelmed by the builder movie ?

Seemed to me more like just a normal bike move with a nod to the builders , was hoping for more of a behind the scenes kind of look at building.

I enjoyed it, but I see what you are saying

Agreed.
The most inspirational part was Matt MacDuffs

Yeah. Nobobdy didn't like that segment. It was mind blowing

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 5:19 Quote
on the topic of building vids, Feel my Chest Muscles I'm A Trail Builder was also amazing. Eastside looks to be one of the gnarliest trails I've ever seen. Aquizaps last clip was just absolutely insane.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 10:01 Quote
So sad to see what happened to eastside with all that rain they got recently. So many jump collapses.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 19:54 Quote
yeah there was crazy amounts of water all over Austin. Saltypistachio was entertaining as always

photo

House Park is flooded. Roaches might have to shovel some dirt, maybe..... #probablynot #chasewillbethefirstoneoutthere #maybetomdugan #helpsbuildmuscleforXgames #imagoldmedalwinnerfeelmywallet @chase_hawk @tommydugan

Posted: May 30, 2015 at 23:08 Quote
i've been building berms... i injured my shoulder on a pretty fun crash, so i haven't been able to do too much, but the dirt around here is SOOOOO BAD!!! under a bridge where one of the local trails run, i was trying to build up a bit of a "berm" and all the dirt around it was pretty much this white soft powder that almost seems like quickrete. need to bust out the wheelbarrow and get some friends to help.

Posted: May 31, 2015 at 1:24 Quote
TFreeman wrote:
i've been building berms... i injured my shoulder on a pretty fun crash, so i haven't been able to do too much, but the dirt around here is SOOOOO BAD!!! under a bridge where one of the local trails run, i was trying to build up a bit of a "berm" and all the dirt around it was pretty much this white soft powder that almost seems like quickrete. need to bust out the wheelbarrow and get some friends to help.

that dirt must suck, although probably great if you mix it with mud?

Anyone know if you can sorta build a berm by digging a channel and using that dirt to build the berm right next to it so that the little channel you dig will be part of the berm?

...you guys probably won't understand me.

Posted: May 31, 2015 at 1:25 Quote
ok, I've figured out how to explain it better

Can you dig out a berm and then use the dirt you dig out to make it bigger?

Posted: May 31, 2015 at 1:26 Quote
millpill wrote:
TFreeman wrote:

Anyone know if you can sorta build a berm by digging a channel and using that dirt to build the berm right next to it so that the little channel you dig will be part of the berm?

This is how I make my berms generally , take the dirt from the inside and stack to the outside , creates a nice run off for water and you don't leave big ugly holes every where

Posted: May 31, 2015 at 1:29 Quote
bigburd wrote:
millpill wrote:
TFreeman wrote:

This is how I make my berms generally , take the dirt from the inside and stack to the outside , creates a nice run off for water and you don't leave big ugly holes everywhere

Haha, that pretty much sums up our riding spot lol

Posted: May 31, 2015 at 10:06 Quote
sometimes i can even dig the inside and outside of the turn, depending on the slope of the turn and everything. but yeah, if you dig in the middle put to the outside, then you can shape the WHOLE berm top to bottom in a beautiful shape.

Posted: May 31, 2015 at 10:59 Quote
photo

photo

Rebuilt this berm today, its the one in my headshot, except thats 4 years old and since then the berms got rough and blown out

Posted: May 31, 2015 at 11:01 Quote
Very nice , the dirt is amazing , I really wanna ride that !

Posted: May 31, 2015 at 13:41 Quote
Is it worth armour plating my jumps with flat rocks cus the dirt is crap and even after packing it down hard it crumbles

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014729
Mobile Version of Website