The A-level thread

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
The A-level thread
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 13:06 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Because you might end up doing the wrong thing...... like I did
Do you still think Ox was the wrong decision?
(Are you still there)?

Just being nosey Smile

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 13:10 Quote
Yeah, I'm still there. And I don't think it was the wrong decision. That doesn't mean I think it was the right one, it was just a decision. I'm happy at Worcester, it's a nice college. My fears about the environment in-college turned out to be groundless, and one plus is just how little work history students do, compared to literally every other subject. I look at the scientists, Classics, PPE, even English... I don't know if I could cope with their workload, but as it is I'm happy with where I am. How's the postgrad? Still at.... Corpus, I think?

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 13:16 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Yeah, I'm still there. And I don't think it was the wrong decision. That doesn't mean I think it was the right one, it was just a decision. I'm happy at Worcester, it's a nice college. My fears about the environment in-college turned out to be groundless, and one plus is just how little work history students do, compared to literally every other subject. I look at the scientists, Classics, PPE, even English... I don't know if I could cope with their workload, but as it is I'm happy with where I am. How's the postgrad? Still at.... Corpus, I think?
Nah, if I was still at Corpus I would have probably joined in at freshers stuff and spoken to you sooner.
I'm a proper teacher now, down Reading way.

Glad you said that Scientists (second only to medics) have a big work load! It's tough going there - 3 or 4 times the info taught at other universities. And nice, long holidays for you - somethng I miss bigtime now I'm teaching and only get short holidays in which I'm expected to work...

Enjoy your course Smile

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 at 0:30 Quote
I've just had a horrible feeling: I think I want to study Physics at university.
I didn't think that would be a side effect of teaching the A-Level subject that I enjoyed most when I was at school.

Could be fun if I go for it....but with no fees support (meaning I'd have to pay full top-up fees, plus college fees if I went back to Corpus, plus acomodation, plus food etc) it could well be a dead-end idea Frown

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 at 2:19 Quote
Haha. Is one degree not enough? Paying top whack to become "just" a teacher doesnt sound a wise move....

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 at 23:56 Quote
crazygeorge wrote:
Haha. Is one degree not enough? Paying top whack to become "just" a teacher doesnt sound a wise move....
Nah, it's worse than that; I'm already teaching physics at A-level - don't need a phys degree for that (just a science one).

In teaching I realised how much I loved physics and just want to do more! If I did a degree I'd probably use it to research as a job rather than teach.
Ho hum. Short of winning the lottery (which I don't play...) it won't be a viable option anyway, money-wise.

Posted: Apr 17, 2011 at 1:10 Quote
Uhhh.... screwed up last year. Missed out of my Uni spot by 5 marks.

BUT, now doing a BTEC Forensic/Medical Science Diploma and on track for a Triple Distinction (equivalent to 3 A's @ A-Level) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Time to start the bothersome issue of applying again...

Posted: Apr 17, 2011 at 8:45 Quote
dobby wrote:

BUT, now doing a BTEC Forensic/Medical Science Diploma and on track for a Triple Distinction (equivalent to 3 A's @ A-Level) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

is it not a bit late to be starting UCAS/applying? Most people at my school in yr13 have firmed their options

Posted: Apr 17, 2011 at 9:27 Quote
rob-k wrote:
dobby wrote:

is it not a bit late to be starting UCAS/applying? Most people at my school in yr13 have firmed their options

I'm applying for 2012 (still on my first year). They are applying for 2011 most likely.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012128
Mobile Version of Website