Powered by Outside

Trek Session 10

PB Forum :: Downhill
Trek Session 10
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
Davyg57 wrote:
Think I may have asked this question before.....but my memory is not what it used to be:

the Revox is 11.5 x 3.5 , so would fitting a shock that is 10.5 x 3.5 alter the geometry or the actual full 10" of rear travel of the bike, and or the head angle in anyway??

or will the shorter rear shock lower the BB height ??
You need to make sure there will not be any clearance issues at bottom out. The stock shock is 8” long when fully compressed, whereas the 10.5 x 3.5 would be 7” long. This could allow the rear wheel to contact the seat tube, the linkage to hyper extend, etc. The safer solution would be to shorten the stroke the same amount as the i2i, so a 10.5 x 2.5 stroke, leaving the full 8” at bottom out.

Shortening the overall shock length will slacken the head angle, lower the bottom bracket, and likely lengthen the chainstays. Shortening the shock stroke will reduce the travel.

Roughly speaking, multiply the reduction in stroke by the leverage ratio (total stock travel / total stock shock stroke) to determine how much travel you would lose. So 10” travel / 3.5” stroke = ~2.9 leverage ratio x 1” stroke loss = 2.9” reduction in travel, so a 10.5 x 2.5 shock would yield very roughly 7” travel.

These are all back of the napkin calculations / broad generalizations. You would need a linkage design program to determine the specific changes and whether these changes would be safe to ride. Tough to say whether the static geometry with the shorter i2i/stroke shock would be usable or if the bb would be too low, kinematics would be funky, etc.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
scotteh wrote:
Davyg57 wrote:
Think I may have asked this question before.....but my memory is not what it used to be:

the Revox is 11.5 x 3.5 , so would fitting a shock that is 10.5 x 3.5 alter the geometry or the actual full 10" of rear travel of the bike, and or the head angle in anyway??

You need to make sure there will not be any clearance issues at bottom out. The stock shock is 8” long when fully compressed, whereas the 10.5 x 3.5 would be 7” long. This could allow the rear wheel to contact the seat tube, the linkage to hyper extend, etc. The safer solution would be to shorten the stroke the same amount as the i2i, so a 10.5 x 2.5 stroke, leaving the full 8” at bottom out.

Shortening the overall shock length will slacken the head angle, lower the bottom bracket, and likely lengthen the chainstays. Shortening the shock stroke will reduce the travel.

Roughly speaking, multiply the reduction in stroke by the leverage ratio (total stock travel / total stock shock stroke) to determine how much travel you would lose. So 10” travel / 3.5” stroke = ~2.9 leverage ratio x 1” stroke loss = 2.9” reduction in travel, so a 10.5 x 2.5 shock would yield very roughly 7” travel.

These are all back of the napkin calculations / broad generalizations. You would need a linkage design program to determine the specific changes and whether these changes would be safe to ride. Tough to say whether the static geometry with the shorter i2i/stroke shock would be usable or if the bb would be too low, kinematics would be funky, etc.

Cheers scotteh......but the vivid rc2 would have a 3.5" stroke (the same as the revox!)

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
Davyg57 wrote:

You're right it was 11.5x3.5. I can't remember if it was a 10.5 or if I just had that dimension in my head from the YT. I don't think I would have been ballsy enough to mess with geometry or non-spec parts back then but I also can't find anything saying CC made a DB Air in an 11.5 x 3.5...

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 13:36 Quote
My Session 10 with a RS Kage 9,5 x 3.00 shock
photo

My Session 10 with a CCDB Air 10,5 x 3,50 shock
photo

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
fantaman wrote:
photo

photo

Julio.... did you have any problems with either shock affecting the BB heightor with bottoming out or parts of the frame hitting other parts that they shouldn't have hit? or with the rear wheel hitting the frame or saddle??

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
Davyg57 wrote:
fantaman wrote:
photo

photo

Julio.... did you have any problems with either shock affecting the BB heightor with bottoming out or parts of the frame hitting other parts that they shouldn't have hit? or with the rear wheel hitting the frame or saddle??

The rear wheel has always hit my saddle it doesn't matter what shock size i had been using it with,this was my saddle with the stock 10,5x3,5 shock when i had my seatpost height low. I have destroyed 10 saddles that the tire chewed up the padding under full compression of the rear shock.This is why i have my seatpost height higher than normal.
photo

I have been using the 9,5'' shock on a view rides but i found that the BB height was really damm low,i had multiple times hit my cranks on the ground on rocks etc.The BB height with the 9,5 shock was 315mm.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 4:40 Quote
can anyone recall the size or part number of both sizes of Frame bearings for the Session 10? I used to have it written down.. but I can't locate it as yet....

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 6:18 Quote
Davyg57 wrote:
can anyone recall the size or part number of both sizes of Frame bearings for the Session 10? I used to have it written down.. but I can't locate it as yet....

I don't recall, however you can buy a complete kit here:
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/SBKTRK8.html

I got mine from mountainbikecomponents.co.uk but they're sold out now

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 6:44 Quote
azfreeride wrote:
Davyg57 wrote:

I don't recall, however you can buy a complete kit here:
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/SBKTRK8.html

I got mine from mountainbikecomponents.co.uk but they're sold out now

cheers, if I knew the sizing or ref No: then I could nip over to simply bearings and buy a set....

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 8:25 Quote
OK.. I took the bull by the horns ans stripped the old frame down (needed to make a start anyhows....)

bearings are as follows... Main frame pivot bearings 2 x 6805RS (equivalent is 68052RS) 37x25x7mm , rear pivot points : 6 x 38802 2RS (now renamed as 6901-SM-MAX) 24x13x7

Hope this helps someone......now to get the order in....Cool Cool Cool

photo

photo

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 14:48 Quote
The shop where i got my Session 10 from still has the full bearing kit for the Session 10 on stock for me.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 16:29 Quote
fantaman wrote:
The shop where i got my Session 10 from still has the full bearing kit for the Session 10 on stock for me.

I would have to pay import tax now if the shop you use is in the EU, or they may not deliver to the UK now, I will try and do the best I can with the bearings

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 17:04 Quote
Davyg57 wrote:
fantaman wrote:

I would have to pay import tax now if the shop you use is in the EU, or they may not deliver to the UK now, I will try and do the best I can with the bearings

Yeah they don't ship them to the UK but i can get them for my frame, they are very expensive though.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
rebuild is coming along nicely..... have cleaned and repacked the bearings, assembled the frame, also serviced the Marzocchi Shiver DC forks today with fresh oil and new seals...

narrow wide chainring had to be fitted with outside face facing in as bolts were sitting proud of the spider had to use 3x2.5mm spacers on the non drive side spindle to get drive side to fit properly.....

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 7:37 Quote
Have had to order new cranks and BB, as the pedal threads were stripped on the non drive side crank arm, have also had to purchase a set of SRAM guide R brakes due to the Avid Elixir R that I had intended to be using were in dire need of a full strip down and service (not been used it years....), I tried everything I knew but the pistons would not retract far enough for the calliper to fit cleanly over the brake disc.....

forks and bars fitted..
forks and bars fitted..

non driveside pedal threads are shot.....
non driveside pedal threads are shot.....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015314
Mobile Version of Website