Powered by Outside

Upgrade to premium?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Upgrade to premium?
O+
Posted: May 28, 2010 at 2:21 Quote
hoolydooly wrote:
can we plaese get rid on the "Upgrade to premium" thing that is in bright yellow on your profile. its really anoying! and kind of demeaning. im in australia, its never gonna help me here and i cant really afford to pay for it with no job and all. just put it down the bottom of every page under "about us".

thankyou! and i am having troub. oh shit!!! my steak, its been on the BBQ for 10 mins too long!!!!! waaaaa it was a nice big steak as well. time for the taste test... not too bad. still tastes good. well, as i was saying..... i am having trouble with the dash, it doesnt light up yellow and tell me that i have a message anymore.

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 3:06 Quote
radek wrote:
willshiels wrote:

I'll buy one if you can promise me I won't have a "plus" next to my tag.

Dude, forgot to say, that was like a totally generic response.. No offence.

You don't need to buy it to support pinkbike. You can buy a pinkbike tshirt....no plus. Or you can buy it and tell me not to activate it. It all goes towards the server/bandwidth/development fund.

Ok I will do both of the above as I was going to get the GF a tee anyways. The card itself we be active though right?

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 3:31 Quote
I think for the upgrade to premium to be justified there needs to be a benefit to ALL the users on the site, not just Americans and Canadians.

Chain Reaction Cycles is the biggest on-line bike shop and ships world wide so why not incorporate a discount off their site into the premium membership.

It would be beneficial to everyone. Members get discount and CRC rake in the cash knowing that people interested in MTB with the Pinkbike card will keep returning to their shop.

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 6:25 Quote
CRC's prices are ridicilously low anyway, I can't see them agreeing to giving another 15% or whatever off. Especially as everyone knows who they are anyway.

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 6:37 Quote
radek wrote:
jackwashere wrote:
think a good thing about the plus sign, is that when your buying non-local from somone that has the plus, you know they actually paid for
pinkbike and kind of have the sense of security with less chance of being scammed. if you know what i mean

Exactly. We get some many people that made a raw deal and the only thing they have and we have is "johny23@hotmail.com".
So yes, users can get some sense of security that with a plus member there is some track record at least. Especially if they used a credit card that means that there is some sort of address verification too. It's not full proof, but it is a step closer.

That sounds more like a breach of privacy to me using member's details for a purpose they were not collected for.

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 6:49 Quote
i think its a stupid idea, paying for beta testing and the other junk? psst sounds pretty much pointless really as most of us use this for this for hte buy/sell and the forums not useless shit like that card.

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 6:50 Quote
Don't buy it then.

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 6:51 Quote
sam-davies wrote:
Don't buy it then.
my opinion buddy i would of liked to share it.

Mod
Posted: May 28, 2010 at 8:40 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
radek wrote:
jackwashere wrote:
think a good thing about the plus sign, is that when your buying non-local from somone that has the plus, you know they actually paid for
pinkbike and kind of have the sense of security with less chance of being scammed. if you know what i mean

Exactly. We get some many people that made a raw deal and the only thing they have and we have is "johny23@hotmail.com".
So yes, users can get some sense of security that with a plus member there is some track record at least. Especially if they used a credit card that means that there is some sort of address verification too. It's not full proof, but it is a step closer.

That sounds more like a breach of privacy to me using member's details for a purpose they were not collected for.

Personal, private details aren't just given out to anyone for no reason. Usually, details are released via warrants/summons from the police when the buying party files a police report saying that they were scammed and the police department gets in touch with Pinkbike. IP addresses and ISP information is mainly what can be used to help combat fraud and scammers. However, if a scam takes place with a user that has the Plus membership or a Road Trip card, they would have had to provide a mailing address, credit card information, etc and this makes it a lot easier for the police to track them down as they can get solid leads and information from either the address itself or from the credit card company. Information isn't just given out to random people for no reason at all. There is a procedure that needs to be followed.

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 8:47 Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most people have to mail said parts/money to a person in which case you have either their mailing address or their p.o. box number and their name?

Lets not kid ourselves, a plus membership does nothing to prevent someone from being a scammer and most cops couldn't care less about someone getting scammed online.

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 8:51 Quote
The danger I see in this process is that future improvements will only be made available to Premium users to justify the membership which will be detrimental to the majority of the community.

Mod O+
Posted: May 28, 2010 at 8:52 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most people have to mail said parts to a person in which case you have either their mailing address or their p.o. box number and their name?

Lets not kid ourselves, a plus membership does nothing to prevent someone from being a scammer.

If a scam takes place, and the police gets involved, a user that has credit card/real info on file is traced. If you have nothing on file all you have to go on is "email". If you have plus, you know that there is a trace to their credit card (real info) or paypal (info).

Therefore, I would feel more at ease knowing I'm dealing with a user that has some skin in the game and not only a hotmail address.

Of course there are exceptions (stolen cards, etc), but statistically it is safer.

As for cops and scams, we deal with them all the time. Helping them bust idiots that think it's safe to scam people online and they can't be traced. We deal with cops in the US, UK, canada...ALL THE TIME.

Mod
Posted: May 28, 2010 at 8:55 Quote
Usually, the billing address has to match the address attached to the credit card so this will definitely yield a legitimate address. You cannot use a credit card and put a different billing address as the payment will not be authorized. You can use the credit card’s corresponding billing address and have a different shipping address but at the end of the day, everything can be traced back to the credit card. If you just mail parts, they can be mailed to wherever. Friend’s house, neighbor’s house, or some other unauthorized address. Even a PO box can be rented to scam people and this isn’t exactly traceable. It isn’t fool proof but having a credit card’s billing address is what’s important.

Posted: May 30, 2010 at 9:39 Quote
B3NP4RK3R wrote:
i think its a stupid idea, paying for beta testing and the other junk? psst sounds pretty much pointless really as most of us use this for this for hte buy/sell and the forums not useless shit like that card.

Sorry guys but I'll buy the premium membership just to support the site. The same reason that I buy things from Pinkbike's shop. My kid and I enjoy Pinkbike so $30 is a steal in my opinion.

{written on my Kid's account}

Posted: May 30, 2010 at 9:50 Quote
Sorry guys but I'll buy the premium membership just to support the site. The same reason that I buy things from Pinkbike's shop. My kid and I enjoy Pinkbike so $30 is a steal in my opinion.

Okay, so I put my money where my mouth is. Just finished buying the Roadtrip and Membership card.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022037
Mobile Version of Website