Powered by Outside

Suspension Tech Thread

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension Tech Thread
Posted: Jun 18, 2012 at 1:21 Quote
mtb24pride wrote:
HAR1 wrote:
Hey man, I had something similar with my 888's, had a small chip right down near the drop-out after a crash and thought nothing of it but kept finding a thin film of oil around the chip. To test if it was leaking through the chip somehow, I covered it with some decent tape and sure enough after a few runs a small bubble of oil had built up under the tape right where the chip was. Had to replace the lowers which sucked Confused . Maybe try the same thing with the tape and see what happens. If someone had told me a small chip could actually be a crack that leaked oil I probably wouldn't have believed them, but it can happen!!

dude, just in case it happens to you again, it's only small damage and the lowers are still rideable nut there is a tiny oil leak, i managed to seal it off with a bit of super glue. no more leak.

Glad it worked out for you man. As for me, I'm to much of a tech nerd to ride with even the smallest hairline crack in my fork lowers. You're probably 100% right with it never being an issue but I replaced the lowers for piece of mind.

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 5:50 Quote
Ok so again i don't know where else to post and i hope i am not bothering. I have another problem with my RCT. It seems to be 5mm higher than before and the 5mm beginning of the travel feels likt it shouldn't be there, it's very low resistance and the forks just drop a step down. It feels weird and kind of like a play, it shouldn't be there and i hate it. How come i pay so much for such high end top of the market fork and i get allhis trouble afterso little use ? Only had them a very few moths

FL
Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 6:58 Quote
mtb24pride wrote:
Ok so again i don't know where else to post and i hope i am not bothering. I have another problem with my RCT. It seems to be 5mm higher than before and the 5mm beginning of the travel feels likt it shouldn't be there, it's very low resistance and the forks just drop a step down. It feels weird and kind of like a play, it shouldn't be there and i hate it. How come i pay so much for such high end top of the market fork and i get allhis trouble afterso little use ? Only had them a very few moths

Sounds like something is wrong with your neg spring. Did you buy your "top of the market" fork new or used? if you bought it new it should be under warranty.

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 7:10 Quote
bought it new but in the US i'm not too keen on paying the postage to the US to get them warrantied and i might not even have enough money for that is there anything i can check and maybe fix myself ?

Thanks for the answer

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 12:04 Quote
z-man wrote:
livingkills wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.mountainbikes.net/mtbikes/rockshoxvivid2012.png
As you can see from this picture, the actual damper shaft is simply threaded externally on one end and internally on the other. Simply removed some length on the internal end and cutting the thread to the same dimensions as on the smaller one should work fine as im not actually affecting any of the external damper shaft

correct me if im wrong but surely this would work

*edit the damper shaft is piece number 17 as im sure you can probably work out

you're gonna need a new metering rod too. and it will effect your I2I, and your compression rate. Might have to play with some shims. It also depends on the way the metering rod seals to the inside of the shaft, and how deep the piston/shim assembly threads into your shaft. If you cut the metering rod, your rebound wont work properly. Honestly, i can tell you have no clue what you're doing, so good luck!

Looking back at this, i dont think you quite understand what im doing.

Im simply taking a larger damper shaft to the lathe and cutting it down to the exact size of the old one. Im basically replacing it by remaking one into the size i want because the one i wanted isnt available.

FL
Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 23:13 Quote
mtb24pride wrote:
bought it new but in the US i'm not too keen on paying the postage to the US to get them warrantied and i might not even have enough money for that is there anything i can check and maybe fix myself ?

Thanks for the answer

Sram in the UK may still warranty it.
Just gotta get in contact with them.

FL
Posted: Jun 19, 2012 at 23:13 Quote
livingkills wrote:
z-man wrote:
livingkills wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.mountainbikes.net/mtbikes/rockshoxvivid2012.png
As you can see from this picture, the actual damper shaft is simply threaded externally on one end and internally on the other. Simply removed some length on the internal end and cutting the thread to the same dimensions as on the smaller one should work fine as im not actually affecting any of the external damper shaft

correct me if im wrong but surely this would work

*edit the damper shaft is piece number 17 as im sure you can probably work out

you're gonna need a new metering rod too. and it will effect your I2I, and your compression rate. Might have to play with some shims. It also depends on the way the metering rod seals to the inside of the shaft, and how deep the piston/shim assembly threads into your shaft. If you cut the metering rod, your rebound wont work properly. Honestly, i can tell you have no clue what you're doing, so good luck!

Looking back at this, i dont think you quite understand what im doing.

Im simply taking a larger damper shaft to the lathe and cutting it down to the exact size of the old one. Im basically replacing it by remaking one into the size i want because the one i wanted isnt available.

oh yes, that makes a lot more sense! you could make it out of steel and get it DLC'd

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 at 0:44 Quote
I read back and just thought there had been some sort of misunderstanding

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 at 1:07 Quote
mtb24pride wrote:

Thanks for the answer

got my reverb from states before release here... they still warranty'd it

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 at 1:58 Quote
well i took the air side apart and tried to put everything back together properly, although i don't think i did a mistake when lowering since they worked perfectly for months and then started doing this weird thing. Anyway it kinda stopped now, it only does it when i push the lowers away from the crown and then push on the suspension, but once it's down it stays at normal travel and doesn't do that weird "drop" anymore. I'm scared it might come back though so thanks for telling me they can warranty it over here !
however i'm leaving the uk very soon so i might have to warranty them through sram France as i don't think there is a sram Luxembourg. Or maybe if it takes a while to come back and only re occurs when i'm at uni in Poland i'll have to see if there is sram in Poland.

Thanks either way guys

Posted: Jun 20, 2012 at 11:40 Quote
Rock Shox Vivid custom damper shaft.

First stage is done.

Taken the new one and cut it down to size length wise on the lathe. Would have done the thread however my school doesnt seem to stock a die with the correct pitch so i may have to outsource this part of the process to an engineering firm i know which should be able to do it relatively cheaply. They are actually the same length, the picture just makes them look a bit off.

Posted: Jul 20, 2012 at 17:05 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.redalp.com/gallery/bild1.jpg
website

http://www.redalp.com/EN/photos.html

Discuss....

Posted: Jul 21, 2012 at 4:28 Quote
Im no genius at suspension tech but it seems like the center of gravity would be waaaay to high for that thing to ride comfortably

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2012 at 5:52 Quote
Z-WAAAAAZ wrote:
Im no genius at suspension tech but it seems like the center of gravity would be waaaay to high for that thing to ride comfortably

+1 and it has a derailleur

Posted: Jul 21, 2012 at 13:23 Quote
Plus there's no room for seat ajustment... horrible design!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.048420
Mobile Version of Website