Powered by Outside

Flats or Clipped?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Flats or Clipped?
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 12:11 Quote
Okay enough he said she said. some people like clipless, some like flats. it's all personal opinion. both have up and down sides so stop bitching about which one is better. it's like trying to compare an M3 with a V-10, both are meant for the same purpos and both used for it yet they both exist.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 12:13 Quote
bigquotesOkay enough he said she said. some people like clipless, some like flats. it's all personal opinion. both have up and down sides so stop bitching about which one is better. it's like trying to compare an M3 with a V-10, both are meant for the same purpos and both used for it yet they both exist.

Excellent! I was waiting for a good analogy to come to me but you beat me!

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 14:28 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
aiston wrote:
i wasnt saying clips are a bad thing i was just refering to crashes, if your in the air and you need to bail whats easy to get off clips or flats. its obv flats i no all the angry clips are gunna say you can easyly unclip but when your just about to crash u wont have the time to unclip. i can understand clips are better to jump and are more peddle efficient but personaly i would always use flats. and i have tried clips. i hated them. At the end of the day its up to the rider who cares what each other are riding just think about yourself RANT OVER ! !

You were saying clips are bad. Trust me, after a few rides with clips clipping out becomes second nature and you'll clip out immediately. Nothing to do with time. However I would say that if you are doing jumps clips are a bad idea. Stick to fast DH or XC for clips!
Doing jumps aren't all that bad on clips, I find it sick for doing tables and whips, but if you are using a slopestyle bike or are doing mainly park riding rather than riding trails stick with flats.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 14:36 Quote
Flats rule
Dogs drool
I wish my car was running twin spool.

Get some spikes!
clips can take a hike
this poem was almost as bad as rockshox pikes.....

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 14:50 Quote
aiston wrote:
i wasnt saying clips are a bad thing i was just refering to crashes, if your in the air and you need to bail whats easy to get off clips or flats. its obv flats i no all the angry clips are gunna say you can easyly unclip but when your just about to crash u wont have the time to unclip. i can understand clips are better to jump and are more peddle efficient but personaly i would always use flats. and i have tried clips. i hated them. At the end of the day its up to the rider who cares what each other are riding just think about yourself RANT OVER ! !

Well, even if you were referring to the crashes, the foots natural reaction is to clip out. You don't even think about it and BAM unclipped. I have fallen over ONCE because of the clips, and that was going around a corner super slow and it was my first ride with them. So you don't need "time" to unclip, you just need to have a functioning foot and natural reactions. Yeah, it's personal opinion, and my personal opinion is that you are wrong.lol *jks jks*

But really, I don't care and have no idea why I've gotten myself into this warzone of a thread.

PS. huckoveraduck, your rhyme wasnt anywhere near as good as pikes....they have U-Turn Eek

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 at 4:02 Quote
bigquotesEveryone is entitled to their own opinion, just yours is stupid

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 at 19:40 Quote
flats more balance

Posted: Jan 19, 2008 at 9:44 Quote
I use flats but I have a question where abouts on your foot should the pedal be?

Posted: Jan 19, 2008 at 11:31 Quote
mongoose-rider wrote:
I use flats but I have a question where abouts on your foot should the pedal be?
Wherever you feel comfortable, i ride dh/street/dj etc whith th pedal in my arch (hence one of the reasons i wont use clipless). XC on the other hand, balls of my feet.

FL
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 at 11:41 Quote
both - but mainly clipped

Posted: Jan 19, 2008 at 14:14 Quote
mongoose-rider wrote:

Where you fell the most confortable for you I think its the way to go,but its best with about rougly 1 inch of the big toe out of the cage.

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 at 3:52 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
rhysmtb wrote:
tbh i dont think clipless pedals are that much better because it could be a small problem if you get bucked over your bars

If you're going over the bars I don't see how flats would make it any better? Please explain. The way I see it is, you're still losing half your shin and getting hit in the knackers by a saddle.

have you never seen the pic of greg minnar,where hes flying through the air in front of his bike with his bike still attached to his feet,but the bike his behind him.

flats or clips is a personal choice,how can you ask other people its down to you try both.

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 at 3:59 Quote
mongoose-rider wrote:

for power or xc the ball should be above the axle,for everything else i have the ball of my foot on the leading edge of the pedal.

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 14:01 Quote
been riding flats for about a year but i just bought spd's to try them out lol Confused

Posted: Feb 3, 2008 at 10:07 Quote
Just got back from Chicksands 4X, there's a few of us that have just moved over to SPDs - we are all loving it, a lot more power = a lot more speed, don't have to worry about popping your feet off the pedals and you can chuck the bike about more...awesome!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025975
Mobile Version of Website