Powered by Outside

Riding in Newfoundland

PB Forum :: Canada - Atlantic
Riding in Newfoundland
Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 7:20 Quote
soapysuds wrote:
Hey, I'm moving to St John's and will be staying there for the summer (maybe go to college there too) just wondering if theres people who would show me the trails at white hills? And any other DH places would be sweet but I've been reading a lot of this forum and it seems like the only DH place is white hills. Im moving from near collingwood so ive been pretty spoiled with an actual bike park so close and tons of maintained XC trails, havent dug in awhile but I'm more then happy to help maintain/build trails.

There are definitely lots of folks around who will show you the trails. Your best bet is to pop down to Freeride on Water St. They should be able to put you on the right track. The owner built all of the trails at WH. The area's not too big so it's not hard to figure out where the trails are if you wanted to go it alone, though it's probably advisable to ride with someone. If you're used to Blue, the DH trails here might be a bit of a shock. Way steeper, more rocky and technical than anything at Blue. Sadly, they're short and most of them require riding/pushing back up. There's a trail in Topsail as well that runs from the top of Topsail Hill down to the beach. It's longer than the trails at WH and can be shuttled. It's still pretty tech but a lot faster than the trails at WH. Even the "XC" stuff around here is super tech with lots of little steep moves and sections worthy of DH trails. If you're interested in helping with trail building, we'll put you to work! Big Grin

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 7:24 Quote
christhebrit wrote:
I moved here last year and took up biking again. I had no idea where to go either, got it mostly figured out now though.
I have mapped all the Trails in Whitehills, Pippy Park and the torbay to flatrock section of the ECT.

I'm in the final stages of building a website with an interactive map and downloadable gps files for your phone. I'm also trying to pull together some GoPro footage of each trail from vimeo/Youtube. If anyone has any of Subnet, please PM me.

This should launch in a month or so depending on how demanding my kids are.... I basically have to add some photos and I'm done. If anyone has any photos they can send of any trails, that would be very helpful.

Cheers,

Chris.

Very cool, can't wait to see this. Have you ridden at Richmond/Southside yet?

I saw some video from Subnet recently but I can't remember where. I'll try to dig it up for you.
I also have zillions of photos, including a bunch posted on this thread as well as in the Global Seasons thread in the AM/XC forum here. What sorts of photos are you interested in?

Posted: Feb 24, 2013 at 8:32 Quote
I haven't ridden Richmond yet, I couldn't figure out where to go..... Depending on the snow conditions, I was planning on snowshoeing up there in the next couple of weeks.

Any photos that characterize the trails and the local environment would be nice. I'll put some with each trail description and some in a slideshow widget. I don't need a lot of photos just a few choice ones. I'll take a bunch in the spring when the snows gone, especially of someone the features in the downhill trails.

Posted: Feb 25, 2013 at 6:33 Quote
christhebrit wrote:
I haven't ridden Richmond yet, I couldn't figure out where to go..... Depending on the snow conditions, I was planning on snowshoeing up there in the next couple of weeks.

Any photos that characterize the trails and the local environment would be nice. I'll put some with each trail description and some in a slideshow widget. I don't need a lot of photos just a few choice ones. I'll take a bunch in the spring when the snows gone, especially of someone the features in the downhill trails.

Check yer PMs. Wink

Snowshoeing conditions are very nice up that way now. I was out yesterday scoping out the terrain between Blackhead Road and Kilbride for possible new trail development and it was awesome. I can send you some pics from Richmond if you like.

Posted: Feb 25, 2013 at 16:57 Quote
I'll be visiting Newfoundland over the summer. I use to live there, but where abouts are the richmond trails? I use to mainly ride topsail beach and blackmarsh/kenmount. Would be neat to check out another area while i'm down.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2013 at 11:49 Quote
I work for air labrador in happy valley-goose bay and I'm an avid mountain biker, is it worth it taking a fews daysin the summer to St. Johns to do some biking down there?
I like the XC and AM stuff

any maps out there?

Posted: Mar 3, 2013 at 17:06 Quote
rick101 wrote:
I'll be visiting Newfoundland over the summer. I use to live there, but where abouts are the richmond trails? I use to mainly ride topsail beach and blackmarsh/kenmount. Would be neat to check out another area while i'm down.

The trails at Richmond are more towards the XC/AM side of things than Topsail and most of the KH trails. That's not to say they aren't hard. They're far more technical than anything at Kenmount and there are some DH trail worthy descents up there to be sure. Trails are accessible from the top of Densmore's lane or from the beginning of the fire road that goes over to Sheights on Huntingdale Dr. Both off Old Bay Bulls Rd near the Irving in Kilbride.

Dankerider wrote:
I work for air labrador in happy valley-goose bay and I'm an avid mountain biker, is it worth it taking a fews daysin the summer to St. Johns to do some biking down there?
I like the XC and AM stuff

any maps out there?

I'd say yes especially considering the lack of trails in HVGB. Wink

There's quite a bit of riding to be done here. Most of it is what you'd call AM I guess. Highly technical "XC" with lots of pucker-inducing descents. Loads of rock, roots and often wet. On the up side there's not much soil so mud is pretty much nonexistent.

In the east end, there's Subnet and all of the other trails in the White Hills area as well as the torbay-flatrock stretch of the East Coast Trail. Subnet is well signed once you get to the trailhead. If you park at the overflow at the DFO building you should be able to locate it. Don't know of there's a map or not.

In the west end there's Richmond Hill in Kilbride and the ECT between Shea Heights. I have the Richmond trails mapped out but I'm not sure I should post them on a public forum just yet. Let me think on that for a bit. If I don't post it I can send it to you guys privately. Richmond is probably the only place you really need a map if you're unfamiliar.

Let me know if you're going to head down here and I might be able to get out and show you some of the trails or connect you with someone who can. Must rides for xc/am are subnet, richmond and sheights to fort A, if you ask me.

Posted: Apr 20, 2013 at 10:23 Quote
The basic site is online, still have a couple of trails to add.

http://www.mountainbikestjohns.com

I am hoping to map and photograph Shea Heights to Ft Amherst one morning this week.

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 at 17:25 Quote
christhebrit wrote:
The basic site is online, still have a couple of trails to add.

http://www.mountainbikestjohns.com

I am hoping to map and photograph Shea Heights to Ft Amherst one morning this week.

Awesome! Site looks great and I've already posted the link on the eastern Canada forum on mtbr for someone who was asking about the trails around town. Some good pics as well!

Do you know what the snow situation is up there? I'd guess the open areas are all clear but the hollows and the descent down to fort A likely still have snow.

I'm heading up to Richmond Hill tomorrow morning to work on a new section of trail, I'll post on snow conditions up there when I get back. Anticipating snow cover in the woods.

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 at 9:03 Quote
Still 60-70% snow covered in the woods at RH.

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 at 9:39 Quote
I rode the Amherst trail early this morning, it was 98% clear of snow. There are some damp spots, but the trail was surprisingly dry. I'll try and add it to the site this week.

C

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 at 10:56 Quote
christhebrit wrote:
I rode the Amherst trail early this morning, it was 98% clear of snow. There are some damp spots, but the trail was surprisingly dry. I'll try and add it to the site this week.

C

Awesome! I'll have to get up there for a ride this week, then.

Posted: Apr 30, 2013 at 15:19 Quote
After being away from this site for almost three years, I am back!

Recently been getting back into riding, and I'm wondering if anyone still does any DH/Freeride stuff? I don't even know where to look for trails anymore.... is WH still kickin'?

Posted: May 19, 2013 at 18:17 Quote
ryanpretty15 wrote:
After being away from this site for almost three years, I am back!

Recently been getting back into riding, and I'm wondering if anyone still does any DH/Freeride stuff? I don't even know where to look for trails anymore.... is WH still kickiN'?

This is my first day!! On the site (and first post)
In Western Newfoundland there's some nice trails in Corner Brook, one entrance up by the golf course, Prince Edward Park across the bay. Massey Drive and Pasadena have trails as well I believe? Marble Mountain seems amazing as well for downhill, just a big vertical at the start lol

O+
Posted: May 31, 2013 at 20:51 Quote
Hey guys,
'
Is there anywhere is St.Johns to rent decent-ish bike? A 5" or 6" trail bike?

I'm headed to St.Johns the last week in July for my wife's cousins wedding and would love to get out and explore a bit of singletrack. It looks like there is some decent riding around. Would anyone like to play tour guide for a day? I would be looking to pedal as full on DH isn't really my thing. I can bring the beers and would gladly return the favour if your ever in Whistler.

Let me know.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.045153
Mobile Version of Website