Powered by Outside

RSD Middlechild & RS-291 - Builds & Chat

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
RSD Middlechild & RS-291 - Builds & Chat
O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 8:37 Quote
coginthemachine wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
For me the 291 is the way to go if you want wagon wheels and an RSD Bike. Better better bottom bracket high if you ask me, which is rather key. I like the longer stance too as it's a lot more stable over rough stuff and at speed than I found the MC. I have a 160 on the front, but a 150 would have it probably climb that much better, but I don't personally have issue with the way it climbs with a longer fork as I dont' have tonnes of tight switchbacks up and I'll take all the squish and slack I can get on the downs haha. The MC is probably a better bike if your trails are tighter and smoother, but if you have some rougher faster downs the 291 is better in my optinion. If you're used to riding a more agressive fullsus, I'd again pick the 291.

Thank you! That's the way i was leaning, so I think I'll pull the trigger. This will be my first custom build, so i'm pretty stoked! (though i'll be away for most of the summer, so it might take months to get things built up)

Nice, it's gonna be great. Custom builds are not gonna save you money, but they are way more fun.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 6:23 Quote
Me again!

The only thing left to buy for my rs-291 build are tires - I was hoping to maximize volume but also wanted to run chainstay as short as possible to keep the bike playful. When I picked up my frame, Alex showed me his bike and with 2.6 Hans dampfs, he had very little clearance and chainstay almost at maximum length.

So am I better served getting smaller tires (2.4 or 2.5) and running short chainstay to keep the bike more playful at the expense of the extra damping

Or

Run 2.6 for maximum damping but max chainstay length

I would prioritize playfulness of the shorter stays over the stability of the longer stays, but for technical stuff was figuring the extra volume would be a bit more forgiving (particularly coming from full squish)

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 6:44 Quote
coginthemachine wrote:
Me again!

The only thing left to buy for my rs-291 build are tires - I was hoping to maximize volume but also wanted to run chainstay as short as possible to keep the bike playful. When I picked up my frame, Alex showed me his bike and with 2.6 Hans dampfs, he had very little clearance and chainstay almost at maximum length.

So am I better served getting smaller tires (2.4 or 2.5) and running short chainstay to keep the bike more playful at the expense of the extra damping

Or

Run 2.6 for maximum damping but max chainstay length

I would prioritize playfulness of the shorter stays over the stability of the longer stays, but for technical stuff was figuring the extra volume would be a bit more forgiving (particularly coming from full squish)

I don't really think bigger tires make a huge difference if you can't run them pretty soft. I have 2.4s and seems like plenty of tire to me and that's coming off 2.6s previously. I actually find running the stays in the longer settings has more of an impact on smoothing things out than a slightly fatter tire. It's always gonna feel like a hardtail, haha. I'd say 2.6s could add some grip if you are in need of that, but otherwise a 2.4 should be plenty aggro and allow you to tighten up the stays a bit.

Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 13:01 Quote
Just came to sing some praise for the 291.

Recently replaced a 140mm carbon enduro frame directly with the steel 291. 150mm fork and usual 29er enduro stuff rounded out the build. It feels amazing, climbs really well for how burly it is and definitely gets at home on the downhills. Should've just started there instead of the big $$$ build.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 13:12 Quote
Yeah, it's a very capable bike and depending on built is not an excuse on the climbs. I have a 160mm on mine and to be honest, it can get me into trouble ha

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 18, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
Never should’ve sold my Middlechild. Just pulled apart my Chromag and the seat tube is seriously corroded!

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
somebody-else wrote:
Never should’ve sold my Middlechild. Just pulled apart my Chromag and the seat tube is seriously corroded!

that never happened on your MC? I haven't looked in my 291, but previous steel frames had corrosion on the inside, but I don't think it's of any serious consequence. That said, why'd you sell your MC man??

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 19, 2022 at 7:26 Quote
somebody-else wrote:

that never happened on your MC? I haven't looked in my 291, but previous steel frames had corrosion on the inside, but I don't think it's of any serious consequence. That said, why'd you sell your MC man??

Unfortunately this goes beyond the normal little bit of light corrosion, although when I sold the MC it was perfect from what I could see. I sold it because I thought I wanted a longer frame and more fork travel. I went a step too far unfortunately and ended up with a Doctahawk that was too similar to my Enduro.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2022 at 8:06 Quote
somebody-else wrote:
somebody-else wrote:

Unfortunately this goes beyond the normal little bit of light corrosion, although when I sold the MC it was perfect from what I could see. I sold it because I thought I wanted a longer frame and more fork travel. I went a step too far unfortunately and ended up with a Doctahawk that was too similar to my Enduro.

Maybe you need a 291. Run a 150 or 140 on there and it'll be less extreme. I have a 160 on mine and love it. Gonna check my frame, haha

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 6:07 Quote
somebody-else wrote:

Maybe you need a 291. Run a 150 or 140 on there and it'll be less extreme. I have a 160 on mine and love it. Gonna check my frame, haha

RSD just posted something on SM about how they apply an ED coating to their steel both externally (before paint) AND internally, to help resist corrosion both ways. I assumed that anyone making steel bikes would do something similar but maybe not?

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 8:56 Quote
coginthemachine wrote:
somebody-else wrote:

RSD just posted something on SM about how they apply an ED coating to their steel both externally (before paint) AND internally, to help resist corrosion both ways. I assumed that anyone making steel bikes would do something similar but maybe not?

supposedly it's not as common as you'd think.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 9:25 Quote
coginthemachine wrote:
somebody-else wrote:

My assumption was my mistake. I should know better by now.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 11:49 Quote
somebody-else wrote:
coginthemachine wrote:

It surprises me Chromag wouldn't do this seeing as they charge more than most and like to talk up the quality of their frames etc.

My assumption was my mistake. I should know better by now.

Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 18:01 Quote
Hi y’all. I just got a rs291 complete in small and love it so far. Question for you guys, has anyone gone mullet with this yet? Building up a rear with onyx vesper and wonder if 27.5 is worth a try?

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2022 at 19:57 Quote
Congrats!

I'd say this bike is better with two wagon wheels. Hardtails need all they can get to smooth out the ride too! Haha

The sta is not that steep and its a long bike, so anything that tips it back is gonna make the angles more slack which may be lessdesirable. I'm not sure Id want it slacker, but won't be terrible. That said I run the bike with a 160 (and like it) so maybe that is similar.

Mullets are intriguing but I still think the smoother rolling 29 is a benefit to hardtails. You can always do fatter rubber but I personally don't love the way plus rides.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035366
Mobile Version of Website