High Gas Prices

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
High Gas Prices
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 14:29 Quote
devonvig wrote:
joexspocent92 wrote:
devonvig wrote:

You CAN do something about it. Any addiction can be kicked. Like I said, influence with your dollar. About 70% of US oil imports go towards transportation, most of which is private vehicle use. Like you said, drive less, drive slower, get a smaller vehicle, take public transport and most importantly, determine your need to drive. Just think about how many vehicle trips are completely pointless.

i kinda want a truck for my bike, but what should i do? with these gas prices, i dont think i should get one

Yeah, I can't see prices going anywhere but up in the next 2-3 years. There's nothing wrong with owning a vehicle. Everyone needs them from time to time. Even with all of my ranting, I still own a truck (a tiny, gutless one that gets about 30mpg mind you) but I almost never use it. It's the excess, pointless use of vehicles that's the problem. If you do get a truck, get a compact, not a full size Dodge 1500 or something. Only people in Alberta, Texas and Montana will still be driving those by the end of the decade. You'll thank yourself when gas is $5 a gallon. Maybe even a small car with a rack will work for your purposes (which it will unless you frequently go biking with more than 3 people)? Other than the three places mentioned above, the "cool" factor of large vehicles is quickly disappearing. In places like Portland, Oregon, driving a Hummer is likely to get you stabbed.

And most importantly (I don't know why this is so hard for people), driver SLOWER. I get about 15-20% better fuel economy (which is exceptional as my truck hates going fast I guess) by driving 95 rather than 110-120km/h like everyone else does in Alberta. If everyone drove 10-15km/h slower than they do now and drove in a less aggressive manner, total US oil imports would drop approximately 10% overnight without any other changes in total miles driven, vehicle type etc.

yeah. i ALWAYS read those things on how to save gas. im looking at the toyota tacomas and the chevrolet colorados. probably the tacomas since it lasts longer because its a toyota. or is that bias... or probably get like a corolla that gets like 36 mpg. I heard on the radio that they get less than the stickers because the car is run on a treadmill and not outside where there's drag and other obstacles on the vehicle. have you heard those pre-ignition catalytic converter things? do they actually work?

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 17:38 Quote
pre cats work to cut emissions.

something to consider is how that mileage factors- old EPA standards were like, windows up, radio off, slow acceleration to 60, cruise control at 60 for an hour, monitor fuel consumption. City driving was like 30mphs, with a complete stop every 4 minutes and a 5mph stop every ten.

Newer EPA is more like, ac on, windows down, radio blasting, hard accel to 80, cruise at 75.. city driving is like fast accels to 40, lots of stopping, and at least 20 minutes of stop and go under 15mph.

no wonders epa ratings plummeted. I think a lot of car manufacturers are still on the old style.

To give you an example, my 13yr old v6 car in good shape gets 24mpg on the expressway.
But if i drive for fun, (aka, a jerk) I can drop it as low as 19.

so think about how you drive, and try to apply a 20% reduction in what you see on the sticker.. its interesting.

also, the sad consideration, is that smaller engines can often consume the same fuel in the real world, as a bigger engine, and the bigger one lasts longer.

most of the top 3 us companies offer full-size pickup trucks with 6cyl gas engines as a real bas option. a lot of people think, 'oh, well, smaller engine, better fuel economy!"

unfortunately, that big V8 motor listed at 15mpg... will get 15mpg, its only really running at like, half its potential power. The lil V6, pulling the same amount of truck, has to work at like 80% capacity to do the same thing... now cut that 20mpg out of the v6 to ... oh... the entirely realistic 15mpg.

so the lil engine gets the same shitty mileage as the big v8.. and the big v8 lasts twice as long.

i do like those colorados though...

FL
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 18:25 Quote
draco wrote:

something to consider is how that mileage factors- old EPA standards were like, windows up, radio off, slow acceleration to 60, cruise control at 60 for an hour, monitor fuel consumption. City driving was like 30mphs, with a complete stop every 4 minutes and a 5mph stop every ten.

Newer EPA is more like, ac on, windows down, radio blasting, hard accel to 80, cruise at 75.. city driving is like fast accels to 40, lots of stopping, and at least 20 minutes of stop and go under 15mph.

no wonders epa ratings plummeted. I think a lot of car manufacturers are still on the old style.

To give you an example, my 13yr old v6 car in good shape gets 24mpg on the expressway.

so think about how you drive, and try to apply a 20% reduction in what you see on the sticker.. its interesting.

also, the sad consideration, is that smaller engines can often consume the same fuel in the real world, as a bigger engine, and the bigger one lasts longer.

most of the top 3 us companies offer full-size pickup trucks with 6cyl gas engines as a real bas option. a lot of people think, 'oh, well, smaller engine, better fuel economy!"

unfortunately, that big V8 motor listed at 15mpg... will get 15mpg, its only really running at like, half its potential power. The lil V6, pulling the same amount of truck, has to work at like 80% capacity to do the same thing... now cut that 20mpg out of the v6 to ... oh... the entirely realistic 15mpg.

so the lil engine gets the same shitty mileage as the big v8.. and the big v8 lasts twice as long.

dead on.

My brother and my dad both have colorados. My brother has a base model 4 banger with 4x4. The one with the mini rear doors. My dad has a fully loaded 5cyl. with 4x4. 4 full doors and a bed cover. Both get similar gas mileage but my dad's is MUCH nicer to drive. They're both good trucks.

We had my bros in the snow a few times this year and did INSANELY well. So good that we went out to play and forgot we still had snow in the bed. Could barely get it to rotate in 4wd.

good trucks. Both of them have held up really well. Both at around 50k miles.

I am trying to figure out what the hell to do with my car and my wife's car. Mine will be paid of in december. Hers probably won't be for at least another year. Think like 15 months.

Lots of possibilities. Right now we're so broke we don't have a choice but to hold on and pray neither breaks down and hers has had a check engine light I can't figure out for like 6 months.

I'd like to get her out of that and get a scion or a something. Either that or get her into a new toyota truck with 4 doors and 4x4. Sell my car and get either a used scion or civic or keep my car and buy a motorcycle.

sucks. Hopefully we'll be able to move by next year and cut about $500 off our gas bill each month.

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 23:34 Quote
draco wrote:

so the best bet is like getting the v8 because its gonna be as efficient as the v6's. i dont know. freak this is so confusing. if it just reduces emission, then why the hell would we want it if it doesnt increase MPG? probably if you're a tree hugger and friendly to the environment

Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 13:18 Quote
joexspocent92 wrote:
draco wrote:

so the best bet is like getting the v8 because its gonna be as efficient as the v6's. i dont know. freak this is so confusing. if it just reduces emission, then why the hell would we want it if it doesnt increase MPG? probably if you're a tree hugger and friendly to the environment

oh oh wait. this is the case sometimes, based on vehicle configuration- a little research on that subject will help. I was using a full-size chevy pickup with 4wd as an example. driving style matters too. dont get a huge truck if its just you commuting all over the place tho.

I would get a fuel effecient car for most driving, and pick up a beater pickup for shuttling.

Posted: Jun 28, 2008 at 23:18 Quote
draco wrote:
joexspocent92 wrote:
draco wrote:

oh oh wait. this is the case sometimes, based on vehicle configuration- a little research on that subject will help. I was using a full-size chevy pickup with 4wd as an example. driving style matters too. dont get a huge truck if its just you commuting all over the place tho.

I would get a fuel effecient car for most driving, and pick up a beater pickup for shuttling.

yeah. but i want a truck. damn it! i want to really find out if the pre cats actually DO increase MPG, because i dont wanna drive around a yaris or something puni around with a bike in the back

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:10 Quote
joexspocent92 wrote:
draco wrote:
joexspocent92 wrote:

yeah. but i want a truck. damn it! i want to really find out if the pre cats actually DO increase MPG, because i dont wanna drive around a yaris or something puni around with a bike in the back

precats will not increase mileage, as they add resistance to the system, thus making it less effecient (sliiiightly)

but the car, if modified improperly, may run worse after without it. a lot relies on the emissions of a car for it to run, its not as simple as just pullin shit apart.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 18:27 Quote
joexspocent92 wrote:
yeah. i ALWAYS read those things on how to save gas. im looking at the toyota tacomas and the chevrolet colorados. probably the tacomas since it lasts longer because its a toyota. or is that bias... or probably get like a corolla that gets like 36 mpg. I heard on the radio that they get less than the stickers because the car is run on a treadmill and not outside where there's drag and other obstacles on the vehicle. have you heard those pre-ignition catalytic converter things? do they actually work?

When it comes to EPA mileage ratings, those have always been bullshit on their best day. The only reason that they got away with them for so long is that up until the last couple years, the average consumer really had no reason to care about mileage.

Here's their explanation on how the test works.

If you're looking for good fuel economy in a truck, I'd say to shop around for something older. A well maintained truck from the late 80s/mid 90s is your best bet. By the late 90s into 2000+ trucks started getting bigger and bigger and therefore the gas mileage suffered. Personally I would take a 1988 4 cylinder Toyota Pickup over a newer Taco any day.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 21:24 Quote
I wanna know how do people afford to drive ford f-350 trucks and the 450's to Very confused

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 21:26 Quote
I afford my 2001 ram 2500 by living at home, staying single, and having a limited social life. lol

Mod
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 21:31 Quote
You sound like a party pooper. Enjoy Stampede! Go and blow $300-$500 this week.

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 21:34 Quote
haah yyeeee the party life keeps goin on:P

Posted: Jul 1, 2008 at 21:47 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
You sound like a party pooper. Enjoy Stampede! Go and blow $300-$500 this week.

I so am, my evenings are either spent relaxing watching tv/stupid shit on here, or going riding, lame, yeah I know. And I'm far to much of a penny pusher to blow that much in a week, on senseless stuff. I can see my future as a 40 year old virgin, no problem. Only minus a house full of action figures. lol

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 0:58 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
joexspocent92 wrote:

When it comes to EPA mileage ratings, those have always been bullshit on their best day. The only reason that they got away with them for so long is that up until the last couple years, the average consumer really had no reason to care about mileage.

Here's their explanation on how the test works.

If you're looking for good fuel economy in a truck, I'd say to shop around for something older. A well maintained truck from the late 80s/mid 90s is your best bet. By the late 90s into 2000+ trucks started getting bigger and bigger and therefore the gas mileage suffered. Personally I would take a 1988 4 cylinder Toyota Pickup over a newer Taco any day.

ic. but they have a higher chance of breaking down thats the problem...

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 1:55 Quote
calgaryrider wrote:
About the only full size SUV I'd ever drive would be a ford excursion, cause you can get it with the powerstroke under the hood. A nice turbo back exhaust, air intake, and some tuning/gauges and your hp goes up but the mpg is still good.
gauges add like 9000 hp right?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.034649
Mobile Version of Website